Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, Stormin said:

For the fourth time in just over a week, swept up leaves and cleaned out the abode gutters. :angry-banghead: 

BTW. There's no trees on my property. All the leaves come from next door. :bitch:

If you were a proper jerk neighbor you'd be leaf blowing them right back over the property line...

I don't envy you folks that have to keep cleaning up leaves and cleaning up leaves and cleaning up leaves and then follow that by cleaning up leaves.

We have the forest all around so we just move them off to the edges and call it good. Usually once a year. Sometimes fall. Often spring.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Usually once a year. Sometimes fall. Often spring.

Sounds like you could use some practice… come on over anytime from now till say… next October and our oaks will be dropping something you can rake  up, blow, move or otherwise deal with… :lol:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Sounds like you could use some practice… come on over anytime from now till say… next October and our oaks will be dropping something you can rake  up, blow, move or otherwise deal with… :lol:

I'll send Trina over with her mid-mount grader. Scrape the whole yard right up nice and clean and you won't even need to mow after that.

• Haha 1

19richie66
On 10/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Visited the ER at 6 this morning thinking I had been bite by a spider , no such luck I got shingles . Had the shots a few years ago. Adventures with the Waldomobile may be on hold for a while . Got 2 different RXs . One knocks me out , spending sleeping off and on since I got  home at 7:30 AM 

Hope you get to feeling better Jim. My dad had shingles around the waist and it was very painful. After he got the metal roof, he was all better. :hide:  

Edited by 19richie66
I couldn’t help it
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Hope you get to feeling better Jim. My dad had shingles around the waist and it was very painful. After he got the metal roof, he was all better. :hide:  

:ROTF::ROTF:

Ed Kennell
31 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

After he got the metal roof, he was all better.

See the source image

• Haha 3

19richie66

I know it’s very painful. Hope you get over it quickly Jim. Hope it didn’t hurt too much to laugh. Take care of yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If you were a proper jerk neighbor you'd be leaf blowing them right back over the property line...

I don't envy you folks that have to keep cleaning up leaves and cleaning up leaves and cleaning up leaves and then follow that by cleaning up leaves.

We have the forest all around so we just move them off to the edges and call it good. Usually once a year. Sometimes fall. Often spring.

Our property in Mi. borders on woods.  Only problem, the woods are not ours.  If I dumped all my leaves into the woods, they would leave  a 5 foot tall drift of leaves that the neighbor would probably notice.  Fortunately,  we can still burn leaves there. 

• Like 2

Stormin

Went to Carlisle this morning for a new battery for SWMBO's little camper. I then called in to see the tractor and trailer my late friends widow was selling. I say was. They're now mine. Bought and paid for. :D Collect at the weekend.

Back home and made room in the workshop for the tractor.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Back home and made room in the workshop for the tractor.

And in Norman's yard this morning he was seen to be throwing dozens of tools 'n garden supplies right out the garage doors onto the grass... 

• Haha 1

squonk
On 10/10/2022 at 10:19 PM, 19richie66 said:

I know it’s very painful. Hope you get over it quickly Jim. Hope it didn’t hurt too much to laugh. Take care of yourself. 

Waldo is in pain every time he laughs shingles or no shingles! You should ride with us to dinner at the show. Almost have to call 911! :hilarious:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
18 minutes ago, squonk said:

Waldo is in pain every time he laughs shingles or no shingles! You should ride with us to dinner at the show. Almost have to call 911! :hilarious:

AT least I not the driver who says "I know where it is" and gets lost for the second time looking for the same BBQ joint .  Right now I am in pain breathing.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Haha 3

Mickwhitt

Not sure if i mentioned being gifted a brush cutter by our local council for our community project. 

It needed a good clean and service and it runs just fine now. 

But the clutch was stuck on so would not allow the blade to stop on tick over.

That also meant the strimmer head would unscrew itself when the engine was stopped. 

So, a new clutch assembly and drum were fitted this afternoon and it now runs exactly as it should. 

Also had some good news on my application for funding to buy a new flail mower for the community project,  a donor has given us £3440 to start the fund off. Another few grants and we will be buying something shiny. 

• Like 5

squonk
23 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

AT least I not the driver who says "I know where it is" and gets lost for the second time looking for the same BBQ joint .  Right now I am in pain breathing.

I knew where it was. I just drove by it! :lol:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

Finished up getting the road trailer ready this evening while Trina put some paint on the trim on the new shop.  

Trailer has new wiring harness, new lights, a couple soft boards doctored up til spring. 

Also removed, thoroughly cleaned, inspected and repacked the wheel bearings. 

Road test tomorrow when I pull it 30+ miles each way to work and back. 

If it's still attached when I get home I'll drag it to NY State this weekend.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ohiofarmer

Went to measure a window job last evening and found it difficult to accomplish as a large field fire was going on. The fire started from a side ditch and quickly spread from harvested soybean residue. 30 mile an hour winds made it jump across two roads and the best the fire departments could do was to defend properties for a while and attempt to control the spread in the fields, Fortunately it just missed the corner of Pitsburg OH and the new school grounds but jumped the road near the school . Now it was in the harvested corn field just at the edge of town but with favorable winds to keep it at the edge of town, I watched it blow  up when it hit the brush line of the old railroad bed and that is where the firemen made their stand with what limited water they could carry.

Once a farmer showed up with a disc they worked together knocking down the fire in a harvested bean field by the railroad  and the farmer incorporating the embers into the soil..Every fire department for miles around and across two county lines was there. They staged trucks away from the fire as if that thing would have set an old wooden barn afire it would have really spread the embers,

it's as dry for this time of year as I have ever seen it. We got gobs of rain early which delayed planting, and then enough rain to keep the crops going,but still gonna affect yields somewhat. . I nave not mowed lawn for a month and the grass is a fire hazard just like the fields. No listed cause for the fire, but since it started from the road, probably a cigarette

Some guy in the school parking lot was blaming the farmers for no till farming as the cause of the fire I guess, and as a farmer myself I told him it was much more gooder to fight soil erosion and also leads to much lower fuel consumption per acre and the resulting whatever disaster that burning fuel to raise food causes and makes Greta Funderberg have the vapors . So pick your poison i guess. Or farm with mules that occasionally release methane--  another disaster..

So anyway I am impressed that no one was hurt and the many fire departments were able to coordimate so successfully. I am going back to look at he burn patterns today to figure things out a bit more.

• Like 5

Sparky

Last weekend my main mower/bagger wasn’t picking up like it should. This sucker will out bag a similar Wheel Horse setup with ease, so when it was operating subpar I knew she needed attention. Jacked it up and found the deck to be “gunked up” bad on the bottom.

I usually clean the underside every other mowing, guess I slacked off on deck cleaning :wacko: . Plus the last couple mowing/leaf pickups the grass was a bit damp. 
 She got a good scrape with a plastic putty knife, ready for leaf action now, once the ground dries out. 

C6AED39B-2AF2-4C56-A77F-974DA5F80503.jpeg

D4613ED8-5499-4709-8B17-73E7E9298416.jpeg

9B4D910E-5A23-4802-897B-21A5F98D1BB7.jpeg

• Like 2

squonk

I bought that same exact little light for my wife. It works awesome! :banana-wrench:

I am also impressed you cleaned the garage enough to get a car in it! :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 2

Sparky
6 minutes ago, squonk said:

I bought that same exact little light for my wife. It works awesome! :banana-wrench:

I am also impressed you cleaned the garage enough to get a car in it! :occasion-xmas:

It’s a great light! Super bright and the magnet is handy! 
  I have a lot of garage work ahead of me. Wife gets bay #1 so that bay must always be clear or I’ll hear about it! My car gets bay #2 most of the summer but definitely all winter. And now I gotta do something with bay #3 to get the boat in and share with my winter tractors/ snowblowers. 

SylvanLakeWH

Got tired of looking at the weeds at the regional trail crossing into our neighborhood… E-141 cleaned it up in about 5 minutes… 

:auto-layrubber:

E6DF82F0-EE57-4654-853B-2C2CAA6BA4CC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, Sparky said:

It’s a great light! Super bright and the magnet is handy! 
  I have a lot of garage work ahead of me. Wife gets bay #1 so that bay must always be clear or I’ll hear about it! My car gets bay #2 most of the summer but definitely all winter. And now I gotta do something with bay #3 to get the boat in and share with my winter tractors/ snowblowers. 

I know a guy that builds really nice pole barns

• Like 1

WHX??

Watched my wife make :occasion-happyhalloween: cookies for plow day. Any one ever see a :wh: cookie cutter? I thought I heard them talked  about once here? Or I saw one on fleabay or something?

20221014_191532.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 4

Horse Newbie

Here’s the progress on Grady’s wife’s “she shed”…

Got the fourth wall up and the wall top plates on. Got the roof rafters up…

Got most of the hurricane straps nailed in place around the bottom of the walls…

2C82B53E-B887-4C66-B525-919B8F28F323.jpeg

DEB7714C-AAFB-4F62-B96A-C09FE5BDBE79.jpeg

B911EF34-AE70-42B5-A8EB-8CF044917063.jpeg

0C6B62CC-F5CF-488D-95F8-AEA9CB74F013.jpeg

A71333A4-E488-4F7A-85CB-D0CA6012C7BF.jpeg

3A2E870D-AE0A-4E25-AF08-2C84985C8E0E.jpeg

• Like 4

8ntruck

When I went to put my glasses on this morning, there was a 'pop' sound and I held a lens frame and ear bow in each hand.  The wire bridge piece broke.  First trip to the hardware store to get properly sized K&S brass tubing to combine with JB Weld to effect a repair on my glasses. 

Later in the day, I'm gathering things to putty 4 panes of glass into a window sash I am refinishing.  Putty, check, new glass - got that last night, glazer points - oops, only got 4.  Trip 2 to the hardware store for more glazer points.  Started installing the new glass in the sash.  Heard a 'pop' noise as I'm setting a glazer point.  Quick inspection, didn't see any cracks in the glass until I had the outside putty about 1/2 installed.  Trip number 3 to the hardware store for another piece of glass.  Fortunately, the rest of the job went smoothly.

What is that saying about every job requiring 3 trips to the hardware store?  

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

“she shed”

In my day we called that the kitchen!  (sorry ladies!  I couldn't resist!)

20 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Heard a 'pop' noise as I'm setting a glazer point.

I thought I was the only one who still practiced that art! Most people don't even know what a point is!

Trick is to lay a piece of thick paper on the glass, under the point to provide a bit of clearance, and the pusher knife down flat on the glass.  Wiggle the knife back and forth instead of pushing straight in.  Old dry wood is much more difficult to get the points in. You're using the ones with the 'lip' on them, yes? Not the plain diamond shaped ones? (not sure you can even still buy those...)

• Like 2