Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Gregor

I painted. Then I painted some more, and some more, and some more,..etc.....etc.....  EVERYTHING is painted on my brand X tractor. My first shot at using at mixing paint, and using a spray gun. I'll see what it looks like in the morning. It's obvious I should have had the pieces media blasted, and taken down to bare metal, but I simply didn't want to wait weeks for their return, so they are what they are. I have no idea how long it takes this stuff to dry. Right now it doesn't look too bad. Twelve hours from now, :confusion-shrug:.

20211112_165709.jpg.97492870c517b09ed2c299a868ee7248.jpg20211112_165720.jpg.0c5c5281ec9229befe07dc275cdf3173.jpg20211112_165745.jpg.4a96e2dea0f20b6e1ead36b457959eb0.jpg

• Excellent 8

Stormin

Been marshaling on the Vintage Sports Car Clubs Lakeland Trial. This event is a series of hill climbs at various locations. Uses forest tracks mainly. The cars themselves are 1920s - 1930s. 

The hills have markers running from 1 to 25. The higher you get the higher you score. Eg. Get your front wheels past 19 you score 19. 

Sorry no photo's. Forgot my camera. Well I was up before 6am and now trying to warm up after standing up a hill for 5 hours.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk
21 minutes ago, Stormin said:

The cars themselves are 1920s - 1930s. 

Sorry no photo's. Forgot my camera. 

:angry-tappingfoot: You know what they say about gettin old! But I'll cut you some slack nORM, I can't remember what day it is more often than not!  838109581avatar.gif.e2a0986e54d287aeaecd6178f3cce297.gif

• Haha 2

Handy Don
36 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Been marshaling on the Vintage Sports Car Clubs Lakeland Trial. This event is a series of hill climbs at various locations. Uses forest tracks mainly. The cars themselves are 1920s - 1930s. 

The hills have markers running from 1 to 25. The higher you get the higher you score. Eg. Get your front wheels past 19 you score 19. 

Sorry no photo's. Forgot my camera. Well I was up before 6am and now trying to warm up after standing up a hill for 5 hours.

On a frigid morning in London forty years back, my wife and I got up in the dark to be at the Hyde Park prep and start of the London-to-Brighton run. We were not well dressed for the "bit 'o brisk" as one of the drivers commented, so as soon as the cars had gone we were searching for some hot tea in a warm shop! Still and all, we both had a terrific time mingling right among the cars and characters. Nowadays the start is all cordoned off as it's become an overrun "tourist attraction".

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Got the "new" crab boat ready for paint.   Now just need one more 70F day.

104_0046.JPG.695b7e9b1c2e2ba3df9a3a3f1b5db3c4.JPG104_0044.JPG.252befa753e4eba4ce4073080e1a2acd.JPG

• Like 6

Stormin
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

London-to-Brighton run. 

The cars in that are what we call veteran. The cars today were vintage. After those cars are classics.

• Like 2

Handy Don
37 minutes ago, Stormin said:

The cars in that are what we call veteran. The cars today were vintage. After those cars are classics.

It became clear that morning that those vehicles (all built before 1 January 1905!) were extremely sought after and quite valuable (hundreds of thousands then; I suspect millions now)! I doubt any owner would subject one to a hill climb.

Also the same gent that commented on our lack of warm clothing pointed out that the cold helped the engines, whose cooling systems are not always sufficient to go 60 miles without overheating. Passengers be prepared!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Andy N.

Got the chipper vac wiring repaired and all put back together. Used it for about 2 hours today. Runs great!

• Like 4

Handy Don
15 minutes ago, Andy N. said:

Got the chipper vac wiring repaired and all put back together.

Does the vacuum really shred the leaves down to make it worthwhile?

My Tomahawk is terrific on twigs and branches but it makes a mush out of leaves that have any moisture in/on them.

• Like 2

Andy N.
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Does the vacuum really shred the leaves down to make it worthwhile?

My Tomahawk is terrific on twigs and branches but it makes a mush out of leaves that have any moisture in/on them.

It does shred them down to help them break down faster. I cover my garden in the winter with them and plow under in the spring. I also use this to chip corn and sunflower stalks from the garden as well as dead branches from the trees.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Is it worth the Work?

******** for me it is.

That's the part that counts Steve. 

Looks good from over here. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gregor
54 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Is it worth the Work?

Maybe no, but for me it is.

That's all that matters. Most of the things I do aren't worth it. Especially to my wife, but they are to me. :banana-wrench:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, Gregor said:

That's all that matters. Most of the things I do aren't worth it. Especially to my wife, but they are to me. :banana-wrench:

I believe it is absolutely necessary for you to be happy and healthy for your own and on your own before you can be happy and healthy towards the rest of the world.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Began with the Right Rear Fender to reconstruct.

What you can see from outside...

What vehicle that is sir?

• Like 1

Tractorhead

An old Ford Transit from 1983.

34337A80-3B16-4816-9C64-9C6161AFABA1.jpeg.b11ca76556ac8ece7cdba54f132a982f.jpeg

there is still a ton of Work until he get the old Charme back.

Like this one looks.

EC878EFC-1654-43E2-8643-A7413928913C.jpeg.d8c5927228d1d57f191bc23ec2facf4a.jpeg

It was converted 1985 to a Camper.

i drove such a Van in my first Job trainings several Moons ago...

I loved it, Rock solid and simplest technic inside.

but this Van missed over the years definitively some TLC and Maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, OldWorkHorse said:

tool box

Hey ummm. 

I don't think yer gonna like that box Steve. 

Why don't you just save the grief and aggravation. Bring it on over here. I'll take care of it for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Pullstart

@OldWorkHorseWelcome back!  I’ve been wondering where the Flowah Powah mo-chine went!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

That's awesome!!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

“I thought you fixed it?”  “I did, but it’s fun to take it apart now and I wanted to show you how it works.”

❤️ oh, that kid…

Excellent!
But did she have her steel toed flip flops on…? :law-policeblue:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Maxwell-8
On 11/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, Tractorhead said:

An old Ford Transit from 1983.

My grandfather was a ford dealer in the '80 and sold quite a lot  of them, sure easy and simple.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

8ntruck

I've got a large front porch restoration going at our Missouri location.  The house was built in 1914 by the owner of the local brick yard.  It is a wooden balloon frame building with brick veneer.

The front porch floor is a concrete slab over a crawl space.  The brick veneer and brick porch roof support columns were built on top of the porch floor slab.  Over the years, the steel reinforcement in the slab failed, causing the slab to sag.  Of course, when the slab moved, so did everything built on top of it.

Last week, the brick mason finally showed up and removed the brick veneer up to the porch roof.  He also installed supports under the remaining brick on the 2nd story of the house.  My part of the job is to remove the brick porch railing and the 3 brick columns supporting the porch roof.  Once the porch floor has been clear, the concrete contractor will come in to drop the slab into the crawl space and pour a new one.

Jack's have been installed to support the porch roof.  I got the first column down without incident.  Today I removed the center column.  

Hook #1 - the columns are about 9' tall measured from the porch floor.  The porch floor is a little over 3' above the ground.  The columns are topped by a square of limestone 3" thick and about 18" square - around or a little over 100 pounds. 

How to remove the stone caps that the porch roof rests on without tipping the column over? 

Today, I carefully removed the course of brick under the stone cap, letting the cap to settle on a pair of 2x4's laid between the mason's scaffolding and a post clamped to one of the roof rafters.  The plan being to slide the stone over the porch floor for lowering via a come along attached to the porch roof.

Well, as I took the roof load off of the column,  the load changed on the settling porch floor.  This left the column doing a Leaning Tower of Pisa impersonation.  Not very stable, either.  I could have rocked it by hand enough to cause it to fall.  Quickly, and gently, I disassembled the column.  I could feel the porch floor moving as I chiseled the mortar joints to remove the bricks.

Darkness came and my back was telling me it was time to quit.  The column is down, but the cap stone is still up in the scaffolding.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Darkness came and my back was telling me it was time to quit.  The column is down, but the cap stone is still up in the scaffolding

Progress is progress Sir. 

Keep at it and keep safe. 

• Like 1