Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Stormin

It's like a footpath, only you can also ride horses down it. Hence bridleway. No motorised traffic allowed. Except for access. I.e. For a farmer to reach fields.

As you can see, this one doesn't see much use as it doesn't lead anywhere. I'm the only person who uses this section, at the end of which joins a farm track, then terminates in a field. In days of yore it may have gone further. Total length now is about a mile or so. Makes a nice little run for my tractors. :D

• Like 3

lynnmor
33 minutes ago, Stormin said:

It's like a footpath, only you can also ride horses down it. Hence bridleway. No motorised traffic allowed.  Makes a nice little run for my tractors. :D

Um, does your tractors have motors?  :law-policered:

• Like 2

Stormin
31 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Um, does your tractors have motors?  :law-policered:

Yes ozzifa! But I need to keep the lane clear for walkers and horse riders.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

If you could find a cop anywhere near a bridleway you would then have to hope he knew the law in relation to them and that he gave enough of a toss to do something about it  lol.

Got the grindstone separated from its hub. Lot of huffing and puffing involved but I got it split.

20210802_134434.jpg.888d5b998201cd8db8aad9f782e90e54.jpg

There is a drive key wedged into that slot and I will make one thats 3/16 thick not the 1/16 that's left of the old one. 20210802_132200.jpg.900c2c1ecc3ec76bdb3d2ca8fc3f7d01.jpg 

• Like 3

Stormin

5 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

If you could find a cop anywhere near a bridleway you would then have to hope he knew the law in relation to them and that he gave enough of a toss to do something about it  lol.

Only ever seen a police officer round here twice in 20 something years. Spoke to one, a WPC, and she said they didn't know any one lived down here. :rolleyes:

Tackled the remaining section of the bridleway this afternoon.

The start.

P1030748.JPG.516213ac8b7dd574fe41d064b19625e5.JPG

The far end.

P1030751.JPG.06caac6f863c2f8093751aa0651a48d5.JPG

Ready to start back from the far end.

P1030749.JPG.03a1c3a768d85c77a3295f1c32cf23fc.JPG

After the return.

P1030750.JPG.d0dcdd191f6257ffc3286d0984e4fb11.JPG

After two passes with the C-125 and mowing deck. The deck was set a little high as the track is pretty rough at the far end.

P1030753.JPG.6453a517b6176b29773bd3148dd4f847.JPG

P1030754.JPG.d239852839635d3352a58c25428305e8.JPG

Not bad for two hours work. Now when we get the new pup, we can walk her down without tripping over briars and brambles, or getting stung by nettles.

If I mow every fortnight it should stay clear. There's some big ruts at the far end and they'll get filled in over time.

There was just one down side. Got a thorn in the LH front tyre on the C-125. :(

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Mickwhitt

What am I doing?

A guy asked if I could have a look at his outboard motor which is not running right. 

I'm just going to clean the carb and if that doesn't cure it he will have to find a proper marine mechanic.  

Can't get involved in learning another skill set. 

20210802_185044.jpg.2f87e71509e8812e7e81d2d2225291e6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dan.gerous
24 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

What am I doing?

A guy asked if I could have a look at his outboard motor which is not running right. 

I'm just going to clean the carb and if that doesn't cure it he will have to find a proper marine mechanic.  

Can't get involved in learning another skill set. 

20210802_185044.jpg.2f87e71509e8812e7e81d2d2225291e6.jpg

It's still just a motor 🙂

Probably the main difference to land based stuff would be the cooling system...

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

If I start this thing up does it need to be in water then? Otherwise will it overheat. 

• Like 1

Gregor

DON"T start it without water. Easily ruin the water pump !

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
16 minutes ago, Gregor said:

DON"T start it without water. Easily ruin the water pump !

Fair warning...DO NOT rev it up too high in a container. IT WILL implode the container with the negative water pressure created by the propeller...Ask me how I know...

• Haha 2

Mickwhitt

Good job I asked. I will give it a clean and hand it back. Not at all confident with it. 

• Like 2

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Fair warning...DO NOT rev it up too high in a container. IT WILL implode the container with the negative water pressure created by the propeller...Ask me how I know...

Dont put it in gear!

• Haha 2

Tractorhead

It appears to be a standart 2 Stroke Engine.

Im not familar with the Yamahas, i had in the Past only Johnson or Mercruiser‘s

But they be as simply as an Engine can be - except the impeller ( watercooling) and the Angle Gearshaft.

Clean the Carb, best is to change the Sparkplug also.

The modern Engine habe typically pointless ignition systems.

and take definitely a look on the rear side of the Engine while it‘s idles.  There must be a control water spill.

while revning the Engine a little up the Water spill must be stronger.

If not - change urgently the impeller for the waterpump, otherwise this Engine has just a short life.

if you don‘t see anything spilling it appears the impeller of the Waterpump is done or faulty

or you touched the Engine too deep into the water. And don‘t see it.

you will see the outlet on the rearside of the Engine ( propellerside) about 40-70cm above the finn - depending on shaft lenght.

There is a small hole for the control Water spill.

Check optically the Water intake fences next to the fin, they must not be clogged, they must urgently be free and clean also.

on most Engines i kew, th3 can be screwed down to be easier cleaned.

the most Engine problems i have seen, was troubles with clogged Watercooling systems, or bad Maintenence.

That is a typically reason also for a worse running Engine, they overheat, sometimes because the impeller was not regulary changed.

and the Watercooling system was not able to give the Engine enough cooling Water.

The change of the impeller this is not a big Deal.

The shaft is just screwed together and the impellers shall be regulary changed for Service to keep the Engine healthy.

The gaskets on the cooling waterpump may vary, but it normally is selfdeclaring how they work.

after change the impeller urgently check, if the Waterpump will work as needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead
8 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Dont put it in gear!

Coward... 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 5

Mickwhitt

So. Took off the carb, full of muck. 

Took off the fuel separater, some muck in it. 

Cleaned it all out and rebuilt it.

Plugs were OK but gap was only 20 thou when the engine label says 40 thou so I reset them to the right gap.

Pulled it over and it fired so all looks well.

I'm going to let the owner have it back as I cant do much more than that and I don't fancy humping a bin full of water round the shop just to try it. 

Thanks to all for their input and guidance as always.

Mick 

• Like 3

Gregor

Is this a 2 or 4 cycle? Do you have the model number?

Mickwhitt

I think its a 2 stroke. But I could be wrong.

Its a yamaha 15 but that's all I can say about it. 

We don't have any water (pronounced Watter) near us so boats are not very popular. I don't intend doing any more lol. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Based on the shape of the hood, it looks like an older 2 stroke.      When you removed the carb, was there a screen filter at the fuel line connection.  There should also be a in line filter.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

There was a fuel filter in the line but not at the carb. 

20210803_092642.jpg.8ce0aef1d65bff92ca7cdb0814e20651.jpg

20210803_092655.jpg.7c0f2fdf277069d53ccb6b3b90900fbb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

With all that muck, the owner might want to dump the fuel tank and flush it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

This is the float chamber.

20210803_093724.jpg.70c90997023bb75f76a01564a86b6716.jpg

Pretty messy in there. Hopefully a good clean will have sorted it out.

20210803_100942.jpg.c58a02def36a59b3d5217564ee5f4b27.jpgthis is the filter trap with plenty of sediment in the bottom.

• Like 2

lynnmor

I finally put this miserable cherry tree on the ground.  It was rotten at the bottom and leaning so i left Mother Nature do her work.  After months of increasing lean it finally snapped and landed in a crotch of another tree.  I started by sawing pieces from the bottom till it was about five feet above the ground, then used a come along to tilt it away from the crotch.  This was quite a fight because or the rigging in several directions and the wedging needed on a number of cuts.  It fell the best way possible and will be reduced to firewood tomorrow.

IMG_2203.JPG.fdf2b374fa072f65eff13d13684fb72a.JPGIMG_2443.JPG.440bf606af1ae31b2bb04272baa5f0da.JPGIMG_2445.JPG.036e2366da9a7667db573320c5de66b3.JPGIMG_2449.JPG.0d52f89687628a2bbff6911367aa5fab.JPGIMG_2451.JPG.e23975661ef88d51ab82d8b3ce4c1ef2.JPGIMG_2455.JPG.d9c518e2bbb68755994f44cd84087536.JPG

• Like 4

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

It fell the best way possible and will be reduced to firewood tomorrow

Nice work there. 

Is that good firewood?

We don't have those type cherry trees here. 

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice work there. 

Is that good firewood?

We don't have those type cherry trees here. 

I would rate it at fair to good, burns a bit too fast and does create more creosote than oak.  To give you an idea of the size, a 20” chainsaw wouldn’t reach thru till I was up 15 to 20 feet.  We have carpenter ants that are steadily destroying trees here.  They bore tunnels from the bottom up and build a condo, then water gets in starting rot from there down.  I was fortunate on this tree, the condo was down low and the bulk of the wood is fine.  Many of the locust trees are destroyed bottom to top and makes poor firewood.  Good well seasoned locust is an excellent firewood or fence post.

My lot was a jungle when I bought it and I cleared hundreds of trees and that payed for the land, this tree caused me more fear and trouble than any.

I lost some nice large cherry trees last year and I couldn’t sell the logs or even give away some nice chunks to local wood turners.  I thought that the wood had a higher and better use than firewood.  I do burn about seven cords per year.

• Like 1