Sign in to follow this  
bell

WOW, what a great weekend...

bell

Friday, I started readying a couple tractors (D-200 and 66 Lawn Ranger) to take to the local flea market to sell... I pulled the engine (K-91) off of the LR (keeping for one of the Suburbans), and mounted up a set of AGs on the back.

Welded up the fuel tank and put a new exhaust and seat on the D-200.

Saturday, I loaded them up and headed to the local flea market for some camping and selling/ buying. I sold both tractors within 3 hours. :(

I also took my dually 633... I now know that I will bring it with me EVERY TIME I go now... I got a LOT of promising prospects, just by driving it around... The guy that bought the D-200 has several acres FULL of old Wheel Horse and other tractors... He said that he had several round hoods with no engines. He invited me out, so he could get some of his money back from the D-200. Dad and I will be heading to his place in a week or 2.

I also got to hang out with a couple local WH collectors and Phil Humphreys (started the WH dealership near here in the 60's) :omg:

I was getting ready to leave, when a old feller approached me (I was on the 633) and said that he had an old WH that he wanted to sell... He said he thought it was a 1958. :drool: (I don't know why people have soo much trouble guessing the approximate year of these things, but WOW) His place just happened to be on my way home. :drool: I stopped by and found a pretty decent C-160. (Don't look at the deck, it's HORRIBLE. LOL)

weekenddealings_001.jpg

weekenddealings_002.jpg

weekenddealings_003.jpg

weekenddealings_004.jpg

weekenddealings_005.jpg

The coolest thing... We were loading the C-160 up and I saw this...

weekenddealings_006.jpg

I told the guy that I bought it from, "hey, I know that guy"... He just looked at me like I was crazy and walked back to his garage... lol

bell

The guy down the street told me that he was junking his HEAVILY MODIFIED/ RIGGED 656. Knowin that it had a good transmission (I sold it to him) and some other good parts, I offered him $20 for it. He even delivered it... :omg:

weekenddealings_010.jpg

bell

Lastly, a story I will NEVER forget and a keepsake to go along with it...

Last week I brought home a load of stuff (the 702 haul), in that stuff was a David Bradley disk. (you can see it in the very back of this pic)

702_007.jpg

My dad, being a DB collector, told me what it came off of. He also said that he didn't have one. He said that he would trade me a garden tractor type disk for it...

So... today, we head out to his barn (where he keeps all the 2-wheelers) and I pick out a disk. We carried it, what seemed like 1/4 mile, back to the truck. I said to dad, "this looks like it will fit right on the horse once I cut the homemade part off, it even looks kinda like a WH disk."... (Keep in mind that it was hanging with the hitch UP... and we carried it to the truck with the back side away from us and put it on the trailer)

weekenddealings_007.jpg

We stood there talking for about a half hour... Somehow we ended up on the other side of the trailer during the conversation about plows, tractors, cultivators, etc., etc... I was mid sentence when dad's jaw dropped and he grabbed my arm... He pointed at the disk and shouted, "LOOK!".... I will NEVER forget that moment... :omg:

weekenddealings_008.jpg

weekenddealings_009.jpg

:drool:

TJ

That was a good weekend. :omg:

Brian1045

You're definitely a wheel horse magnet...! You sure you live in Indiana, because pickins are slim 30 min. South of you..lol. :omg:

bell

Pickins aren't slim, you just have to develop a "sixth sense" for where they're at... lol

sorekiwi

You're definitely a wheel horse magnet...! You sure you live in Indiana, because pickins are slim 30 min. South of you..lol. :omg:

Pickin's are slim around you, Brian, because Jon has snapped them all up!

rustyoldjunk

Jon you will find a lot of wheel horses in the counties around you with humphreys name attached to them.i lived in the greencastle area for about the first 40 years of my life where Phil,his wife and son still run the dealership yet today but with other brand names.(they sell orange tractors now) and maybe toros still.they were always a very popular dealer and they were are are enthusiastic about wheel horse,i believe the have been to the the big show at least few times.they are great if you need parts for your old wheel horse,a lot of times they have it on the shelf.i too have drug in a lot of old horses with their name on them,as a matter of fact i think i have at least one now.i walked in to get some rubber grommets for a k181 on an 854 carb and fuel pump line fittings and a rubber grommet for a C series gas tank and Phils wife was at the counter (i think Joyce is her name but cant remember for sure),she didnt even have to see what i needed she walked in the back and grabbed them.they have also been good at getting parts for my other brand tractor thats old enough no one else wants to mess with it even if they have to go back into the paper books they do it happily.if you are around central indiana and need to order wheel horse parts i highly recommend you give them a shot.

sorekiwi

I second all the recommendations about Humphreys, they are great people to deal with. I buy all my Horse parts from them.

Phil still spends a lot of time at tractor shows and swap meets too and picks up bits and pieces that he thinks may be useful some day. And on the old stuff, he is unbeatable on remembering what you need. Joyce is awesome too.

If anyone has ever spent any time trying to find the right starter cup for that unknown recoil you are trying to put on an old tractor - you will appreciate this story.... In despair I went to Phil to see if he could help me out making a Tecumseh recoil work on a K91, for my RJ. Phil dug through his pile of old engine parts and came up with 3 different cups of various depths and let me take them all away to find one that would work. I had to "cut and shut" one that was too deep in the end, but without his help I'd still be looking for one.

If anyone needs a Toro dealer that offers great service:

http://www.humphreysoutdoorpower.com/

or (765) 653-3019 (I have it on speed-dial on my phone!!)

KyBlue

What a weekend indeed!!

bell

I know there should be more of them around here with the sticker, but this is the first one I've found. I've hauled in a LOT of horses in the past year, and this is the first Humphrey's sticker. :drool: I'm guessing it's because there was a dealership in Terre Haute (somewhere) and there was a barber just outside Brazil that sold them.

The Humphreys' are GREAT!!! If I don't buy parts mailorder, I take the trip to Greencastle. :omg: