River19

C-160 Hydro "e-Brake" Question

River19

For as long as I can remember, our particular C-160 Hydro had an issue where the e-brake seems to not fully "lock" or stay in the down (disengaged) position when underway.  So it feels like it springs up about an inch and causes drag and in order for it to not scrub forward speed I have to hold it down.

Anyone encounter this issue?  I am making the assumption this might be a regular known issue with a common fix so I figured I would ask as I am now doing my research on what might be needed to remedy.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Achto

I'm going to guess that you have a Sundstrand transmission in your C-160? If so the parking brake should look some thing like this.

89770498_IMG_20200322_175309939(1)-min.jpg.a002eb16ed6bf33d4415ea032c50aac9.jpg

Here a few things to look at. I would check all of the pivot points and lube them with a little oil. A weak spring (which would be my best guess) may be the issue. Too short of a drive belt may cause the mechanism to not be able to break center properly.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

River19
1 minute ago, Achto said:

I'm going to guess that you have a Sundstrand transmission in your C-160? If so the parking brake should look some thing like this.

89770498_IMG_20200322_175309939(1)-min.jpg.a002eb16ed6bf33d4415ea032c50aac9.jpg

Here a few things to look at. I would check all of the pivot points and lube them with a little oil. A weak spring (which would be my best guess) may be the issue. Too short of a drive belt may cause the mechanism to not be able to break center properly.

Thanks, and holy hell that is a nice clean looking rig......

I'll pull the cover and see what I can find....we'll start with the simple things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
Just now, River19 said:

Thanks, and holy hell that is a nice clean looking rig......

Thanks, Just happen to have this assembly picture from my latest resto. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Check the bottom of the circled pin.  They can get a groove worn in them (other pic) which can affect engagement.

IMG_0094.JPG

InkedIMG_0100_LI.jpg

• Like 4