Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

414 questions, please help out

Hodge71

:omg: Im hoping somone here can help me out, i have found a really sweet deal on a 414 8 speed. I dont know ,much about the toro/wheelhorses. Are there any shortcomings with these models, tranny, differential, axles etc. its a kohler so its should be good engine also will the impeller/bagger attachment (that uses the dump trailer and is driven from the main PTO via along drive belt) from a 70s c series fit this machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know much about gear trannys and any horses from the 80s and 90s.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Passon

hodge

That is a strong, durable, and excellent tractor. As a matter of fact, I would love to find a 314/414-8. You can't go wrong. Hope it works out for you!

nylyon

Hi and :omg:

I have a 414-8 which I originally bought just for the plow and wheel weights which were on it. The 414 is a very well built machine and you're right the Kohler is a great engine. The frame, trans, axle and other components are very heavy duty and will last a very long time. I use the 414-8 to plow in the winter and often use it to mow in the summer, when I have the need to drive a manual trans machine.

The 414 is the very same basic design and will accept most of the attachments from 1973 - 2007 C-Series, 300 and 400 series. You really can't go wrong with a 414!

bustedglass

I got a 414-8, with a 48" mower deck last fall. Don't know much about it, it is pretty much a basket case (don't have any pictures yet).

But between me, my great neighbor Bill, and all of the wonderfull people here on RedSquare, I hope to have it running, pretty looking, and working hard A.S.A.P. :omg: .

Good luck with yours Jeff. And I almost forgot, :drool: .

can whlvr

I too have an 1987 414-8 magnum and love it ,i plow,mow,tow and just about anything else with it the only thing i dont like is the silly warning lights on the left side of the steering column,alot of wiring really for nothing but it is still a fantastic machine and would NEVER get rid of it,good luck Don

Duff

Jeff, like the other guys have said, you've got yourself a terrific machine there. I've got some 312-8's, which are the little brothers to yours but share many of the same components. They're rugged, dependable and incredibly well built. And Kohler is one fine engine! Enjoy!

Duff :omg:

Hodge71

:omg: Thanks for all the replies gentlemen, I have decided to buy it. I'm going to pick her up next Saturday. As soon as I get home I'll be posting pictures for yas to drool over. I think I'm getting a good deal here, one of those to good to pass up. :drool: As always many thanks. My brother and I are already planning to bring his C195 long with this, and my Dads 1973 12 auto to the show in June (along with my 3 yr old son Jeb whos already hooked on the Horses). I hope to meet lots of you great folks there.

Jeff

bustedglass

All of the wires going to those "IDIOT" lights have been cut by PO. And as I am restoreing it, they will remain cut unless I can find a wiring harness for free :omg: .

bustedglass

OK, I logged on to photobucket, lets see if I can get it to work. Here are some pictures of my sad 414-8 The414-8e-8-16-8.jpgThe414-8f-8-16-8.jpgThe414-8CutWireingBlock8-16-8.jpg :omg:

bustedglass

Alright, I think I have the hang of this photobucket thing, I will send more pics along when I have them. Thanks guys for putting up with me.

Duff

Mike, it may seem "sad", but guys bring 'em back from worse shape all the time...and parts for that machine are still very much available. Good luck!

Duff :omg:

bustedglass

Here are a few more pictures of my sick 414-8 The414-8d-8-16-08.jpgThe414-8c-8-16-08.jpgThe414-8b-8-16-08.jpg.

Wish me luck. I will post as I go. Hope to officially get started with the re-build within the next few weeks. :omg: