Sign in to follow this  
BrianX128

Pulley for Montgomery Wards Tiller

BrianX128

I've got a pretty old Montgomery Wards Tiller that runs great, I've been using it after I get my garden tilled up with the newer bigger cub tiller I have, my dad and I trade off tillers throughout the year and one of the reasons why is using the old wards one gets tiring as it only goes forwards and it's super heavy. I looked up online how the models that have reverse accomplished it, and it's just by running a belt over another idler vbelt pulley on the shaft the main idler is on, just running the belt over top of the pulley, and having it cross over as it goes down to the drive area to spin the tines backwards. My tiller already has the right pulley on the engine and the drive shaft, just doesn't have this small 2" vbelt idler pulley as seen in this picture. I can find a flat idler that's 2" but it's going to never want to stay where it needs to be, and a 3" vbelt idler hits the engine pulley.

Any idea where you can get a 2" vbelt idler? I'm having troubles finding them that small anywhere.

reverse.PNG

Crickets

Try Brewer Machine & Gear     PBB   Dia 2.5",  7/8 wide.

Skwerl58

I have a Montgomery Wards also, built by Gilson, it is the worm gear drive. For parts I have been lucky and have only needed belts and the bronze bushings in the Idlers. I had a local machine shop make  some bushings last year and they weren't cheap. Remember to shoot a couple of drops of oil between the idlers  before each use to lube the bushings. If I needed parts I would try a local repairman that has used parts inventory. These parts do show up on the auction sites from time to time. Good luck and hope you find the part needed soon.

BrianX128

I can get a 2" flat idler at my local tractor supply, what I might do just to see if it works is put this between two large fabricated "washers" so the belt can't track off the idler and the other belt can't jump over either. I have the belt guard for the drive pulley and from the engine pulley that will keep those two areas in line.

• Like 1

BrianX128

It worked! Now I just gotta rig a better way up on my handle to have a true forwards, neutral, and reverse. I almost think I could put a weaker spring to keep the handle from being able to settle into reverse unless you pull it into reverse. Gotta look at how the linkage is setup more, didn't really pay too much attention just wanted to make sure it worked.