ClassicTractorProfessor

Finally Got The M I've Been Hunting

oliver2-44

Looks great!

In my younger day I hauled a lot of hay with bales being spit out behund  M's and H's

• Like 1

Achto

I've spent a lot of time on the seat of an M. Some of the ones I drove looked worse than the one you just bought. Paint & pretty don't make them run though.

Congrats on your new ride.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Congrats Bryce!  I just hit my brother in-law up on this Allis Chalmers CA that’s been sitting next to my barn for a decade or more...

At least the haul home won’t be too bumpy!

47088AC2-60EB-4805-87F5-D504393C7D42.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Here is the beater I picked up to go along with it...not sure what model it is, cant find any numbers on it anywhere

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 4

8ntruck

Neat tractor.  

The patina looks about the same as my 8N when I first got it in the mid 90's.

• Thanks 1

Zeek

That's a great deal! I've been keeping an eye out for a larger farm tractor now that I have more room. Somebody had a 46 Farmall A here locally but non-running, crappy ties, etc for $800. I said no thanks. . .  I'd really like to find a nice old diesel of whatvever.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

A short video of the tractor running, sorry for the wind noise. Hard to find a day in Oklahoma that the wind isn't blowing at least 25 MPH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Great,

runs smoothly

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, HandyProfessor said:

A short video of the tractor running, sorry for the wind noise. Hard to find a day in Oklahoma that the wind isn't blowing at least 25 MPH

Sounds very good!

• Like 1

T-Mo

Hop on over to http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/, and get a couple of posts in and you will get access to their "PDF Manuals" section, where you can download various literature, including OMs and service manuals.  In the meantime, here's a video for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zeek

Nice find!

• Like 2

WHNJ701

keeping it original or painting it up?  great tractor!

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

1 hour ago, jabelman said:

keeping it original or painting it up?  great tractor!

Probably just gonna fix the few things it needs mechanically and leave it like it is...it will spend most of it's time mowing and other light chores around the ranch

• Like 1

WHNJ701

looking again at the pics, wow thats some flat country out there!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

looking again at the pics, wow thats some flat country out there!

Trina and I are flabbergasted every time we see pics of some of the places out members live.

Darb1964

Love the farmall tractors, that m looks and sounds great. They were built to last, must be the color! 

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got her all lubed up and the beater hitched up today...there's a small patch of grass and sagebrush to the north of our house, figured I'd try it out there before I ventured out into the pasture. Was having fun until the radiator decided to spring a leak, oh well with a 72 year old piece of equipment you can expect a breakdown from time to time20200419_153606.jpg.1a8c31fc1df404c3371be2e1f3340149.jpg20200419_153114.jpg.dac2c04f1ade206b226ea0750211ebc2.jpg20200419_173042.jpg.b214f18b3df048d32c0984ff87921578.jpg20200419_173153.jpg.7eabae35046487d7e9375642f4b166b0.jpg

Razorback

I love those old Farmalls. Congrats, and I hope your radiator gets fixed easily and soon.

I have always been partial to red things!

ClassicTractorProfessor
6 minutes ago, Razorback said:

I love those old Farmalls. Congrats, and I hope your radiator gets fixed easily and soon.

I have always been partial to red things!

Looks like someone already tried to fix it once...there aren't any radiator shops anywhere nearby either anymore...guess I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one...good thing I was sitting down when I looked one up earlier. Close to $700 for a new one:eek:

Also appears that the front axle is going to have to come off to gain access to the lower mounting nuts, so not gonna be an easy fix. Still beats operating and working on one of the new electronic nightmares though

Razorback
15 minutes ago, HandyProfessor said:

Looks like someone already tried to fix it once...there aren't any radiator shops anywhere nearby either anymore...guess I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one...good thing I was sitting down when I looked one up earlier. Close to $700 for a new one:eek:

Also appears that the front axle is going to have to come off to gain access to the lower mounting nuts, so not gonna be an easy fix. Still beats operating and working on one of the new electronic nightmares though

$700!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?! WOW!!!!

I think I would measure it, make note of inlet and output orientation, and go find one and "make it fit". You could get a super-duper aluminum 3 or 4-row equivalent for half that price. (Maybe I'm dreaming.... but unless you are making a show piece, I would look elsewhere for a radiator?)

Edited by Razorback

ClassicTractorProfessor

I'm gonna keep looking around for one...I'm sure there's a cheaper one out there somewhere...when I came in the house after it happened my Steiner Tractor catalog was laying on my desk so that's the first place I looked

• Like 1

Darb1964

Is it completely shot? Maybe some soldering? Some of the stop a leak products are good, worth a try.

ClassicTractorProfessor
4 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

Is it completely shot? Maybe some soldering? Some of the stop a leak products are good, worth a try.

It might be able to be repaired if there was anyone around here who could do it, I've tried once or twice with no luck with a couple old trucks we've had. There was an old man here that was one of the best I had ever seen, but he got sick with cancer and retired about a year ago. I can see a bunch of solder right above where the hole is where it looks like someone has attempted to repair it once before. Either way to replace it or have it repaired its gotta come off the tractor, and if I'm gonna pull the whole axle to get it off I'll probably just replace it rather than take a chance on the repair not holding and having to tear it all back apart again

Here's a super short video of her working...wasnt but about a minute later when it decided to spray everywhere

Darb1964

It is an art to get a good long lasting solder fix, chances are that is not the only bad spot and if you can't pressure test before putting back together I agree. Good luck it will be worth it in the end.