Sign in to follow this  
tgordonjr

mowing deck problem

tgordonjr

I drove the tractor to my mothers the other day to mow her grass, since my 20 yr old brother just sits on his behind and play games and hangs out with high school girls, he has no time to do anything except be lazy. So anyway I got to mowing her grass ( which she hadnt done anything about until I came up to mow it, so it was very high) it mowed great didnt have any problems at all with it plenty of mowing power for the little 211-5. Until about 40 mins later, it started to bog down all the time so I put the deck at its highest setting and still it would bog down, sometimes it would just stop cutting all together. :omg: So needless to say I was ticked, I thought I would get it home and and clean and wash underneath the deck and everything would be ok. well I was wrong, it still has no power going to the deck, the blades spin but hardly cut the grass more like shred. I didnt hit anything and dont know what to do :drool:

wheel horse 1045

mine did that the other day and it was my belt

Duff

.....it still has no power going to the deck, the blades spin but hardly cut the grass more like shred. I didnt hit anything and dont know what to do :drool:

A slipping belt is certainly a good bet.....

Alternately, by any chance have the nuts that hold the blades on the spindle loosened? I think there's a washer in the assembly that acts like a shock absorber in case you hit something that allows the blade to stop without locking up the spindle and destroying bearings. If the nuts have loosened up a little, the washer would still probably create enough friction to allow the blades to spin, but under load they would then start to slip and stop cutting. Just a SWAG (scientific wild azz guess).... :drool:

Duff :omg:

tgordonjr

so should I just try to tighten it or do I need a new belt? :omg:

gwgdog66
so should I just try to tighten it or do I need a new belt?

Don1977

From your description I don't know what you have. The PTO clutch could be slipping, or the drive belt is not tight enough. The only time I have had a belt to give up it was coming apart, and that happens quickly, it's hard to miss. Some one suggested checking the deck, the grass build up under the belt guard can keep the idler pulley from keep the belt tight. It can also ware out you belt from slipping. My base has slide blocks I wore out one side turned them around and wore out the other side. They are no longer available, I had some made out of some a nylon block that I had. I also wore out the pressed steel pulleys to the point that they would slip in heavy grass. I went back to the old cast iron pulley that came with my base, had them machined to fit the replaced newer spindles.