Greentored

91 520H/ 48" deck center pulley/PTO tension?

Greentored

Where do you folks source parts like this, and does anyone have a part number? I do believe its a newer (mid 90s) deck, tractor is at my other place so I dont have the deck part number on hand.

Center pulley was pretty crusty from sitting, and although I cleaned it and knocked the heavy rust off, it has all but destroyed my brand new PTO belt after one mowing.

While were on this subject, how much tension should there be on the PTO clutch? I know from a automotive standpoint, one never should 'ride' the clutch, which essentially is exactly what this design is doing. How much can the thrust bearing in these Onans handle?

Thanks!

Ed Kennell

Lincoln at A to Z tractors should be able to ship a new pulley.   He is in the vendor section.

The pressure on the PTO clutch is basically set high enough to keep it from slipping.

This is one reason I always liked the old Raider  style PTO lever.    It had a pressure calibration notch in the lever bracket where you set the clutch gap to 0.010".

I have never heard of an ONAN thrust bearing failure.

102_1443.JPG.9e60f532e93906a5f15f8cdc86e47797.JPG

tom2p

will need the deck model and serial number to be be certain 

but if you are referring to the center 'double' pulley - the pulley part identification is probably Toro 110147 or 110148

110147 and 110148 are used on many late 42" and 48" SD decks used on the 300-500 series garden tractors 

appears 110147 is used on most if not all 48" decks 

at approx $60-70 suggested retail these double pulleys might be the most expensive pulley on the deck ;  if you get lucky you might find one for around $40 but they typically sell for more 

center pulley can also be one of the more challenging pulleys to remove 

your experience is not uncommon - good PTO belt with good pulleys will go a long time - but bad center pulley will chew up belts quickly 

Edited by tom2p

Lee1977

I don't know what they did in the 90's, but my 89 model 42" deck has that the same size drive pulley as the 48" deck but the blade pulley is smaller as the shorter blades on the 42 "turn faster then the long blades on a 48"..The 48" deck drive pulley and the blade pulley are the same size.

Edited by Lee1977

tom2p
15 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I don't know what they did in the 90's, but my 89 model 42" deck has that the same size drive pulley as the 48" deck but the blade pulley is smaller as the shorter blades on the 42 "turn faster then the long blades on a 48"..The 48" deck drive pulley and the blade pulley are the same size.

found a toro parts list - updated my post above 

will try to get a look at my decks - also have 42" and 48" SD decks 

yes - confirmed with quick glance at 42" SD deck and 48" SD deck :  42" deck center double pulley has a smaller diameter bottom pulley - 48" deck center double pulley both pulleys are same diameter 

Edited by tom2p

Greentored

Thanks fellas. I was able to pull up my search history from researching belts last week, my deck is a #78361, which shows the correct pulley as the 110147. 

@tom2p let me know if you find one.  Thanks!

Greentored

Hey, I just snagged one brand new off flea bay for 35 and 11 to ship:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

tom2p

wow - that was quick - nice find !

• Like 1

Greentored
On 4/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, tom2p said:

wow - that was quick - nice find !

A.D.D. works to my advantage at times LOL

(girlfriend diagnosed, not doctor diagnosed:lol:)