The Tuul Crib

What brand of drive belt do you use?

The Tuul Crib

Last night I was running around the yard with my 414 and all of a sudden it just locked up. hitting the break pedal was like stepping on a brick it didn't move Immediately I was thinking transmission but with further look see the belt it done some really weird things. There was no indication as to this would be happening but it did it messed up the idler control alarm. I was able to pull it off and straighten everything up but the belt didn't seem to make it. I know it calls for 7473

and I was wondering what everyone else is using from what brand or supplier?

ebinmaine

I like oe black belts from Toro or Wheelhorse.

I've also had very good luck with the green belts from Gates. I've run a couple of blue belts from Stens and done fine with them as well.

Several of us have used belts from Tractor supply and done fine but I don't share that experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bottjernat1

I just replaced the starter generator to motor belt and drive belt on my 856 i have for sale. And I bought both at rural king. They sell Jason industrial belts. If I don't already have a stens belt in stock i use there belts. https://www.jasonindustrial.com/

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Stens True blue - no complaints...

Tractor Supply - no complaints...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Toro 7473 on the 1989  312-8  still original with 600 Hours, no complaints.

• Like 3

pfrederi

I use WH 7473 for all my gear drives..but use Gates green ones for hydros deck and such.  The WH bet seem to be a bit smoother on engagement ...but it may be all in my head...

• Like 2

Stepney

My machines are all hydro these days, but for the few gear drives I owned WH belts made a clear difference.

I try to save what inventory of NOS WH belts I have. Only using them on manual shift tractors.

The implements and hydros dont seem to care. Tractor Supply blue belts have stood way more torture than they ought to on some of my machines.

• Like 2

rjg854

I've always had good luck with Tractor Supply belts, a decent price and local. 

• Like 1

tom2p

original / OEM 'true' Wheel Horse molded / wrapped belts are the way to go when you can still get them - they perform better and are more durable 

( I believe the 'true' original / OEM Wheel Horse belts are 'HA' or 'HB' designated or rated ... is that the dimensions (angle or pitch ?) Heavy Agriculture rated ? )

unfortunately many of the current OEM Wheel Horse belts are of lower quality - many are not molded / wrapped and not as durable 

original Wheel Horse 7473 molded / wrapped belts are still available 

the original 7473 belts often have the Wheel Horse logo and / or 7473 part number stamped into the outside of the belt (as opposed to print) - and the outside wrap is often a light color ... off white or tan 

some other belts also provide good service - including some Rotary, Stens (True Blue) and NAPA belts ...

I currently have a True Blue PTO mower deck drive belt installed on one tractor - got this belt when I was unable to get a true high quality OEM Wheel Horse belt ... will need more time to determine how well it performs 

Edited by tom2p
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I've used them all. Gates green (Napa) worked better on my 704 than an OEM belt. I use mostly TSC blue due to availability and cost. I just put a TSC on my deck as it was $15.00 cheaper than Napa. The key to belt life and performance is pulley condition and alignment. 

• Like 3

Digger 66
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Gates green (Napa)

I've had them ( deck & drive )  on my Raider for what seems like forever .

briankd

i bought drive belts frpom my old WH dealer he says back in the day they had their own specs on their v belts always bought from him and never had no isssues  but they a bit pricey i think cost was 30 to 40 bucks  but he says the ones he has are same as originally used by WH

i am going to hate to see him go he in his early 80's and still there working every day his son also with him but does not want the buesness once his dad quites hate to see what happens with all the WH stuff 

Edited by briankd

Pullstart

Tractor Supply blue belts work great and I feel like I’ve used a few from my local Parts Plus with great results.

Looking for a head gasket from Napa today, I’ve lost hope on them for anything small engine.  I asked them for a K-181 head gasket.  Their response was “do you have a part number?”  I responded “don’t you have a catalog?”  As to which she responded “unless it is a vehicle manufacturer or you have an OEM number, we can’t help you”

I have to wait for Parts Plus to get one in at 8 am... but it’ll be correct at least.

:soapbox:

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Tractor Supply blue belts work great and I feel like I’ve used a few from my local Parts Plus with great results.

Looking for a head gasket from Napa today, I’ve lost hope on them for anything small engine.  I asked them for a K-181 head gasket.  Their response was “do you have a part number?”  I responded “don’t you have a catalog?”  As to which she responded “unless it is a vehicle manufacturer or you have an OEM number, we can’t help you”

I have to wait for Parts Plus to get one in at 8 am... but it’ll be correct at least.

I went to O'Reilly the other day and asked the guy for a spark plug for a K3 41 I told him it was a champion plug he asked me the same thing do you have a part number. He never heard of a K3 41! 

• Sad 1

briankd
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

napa is about usless around me also  tried to get a kouler air filter from them cause my local mower shop wanted 25 bucks and napa has no clue what i was talkling about napa used to in the past stock small engine parts but went away from it 

• Sad 1

squonk

A lot of these parts places hire young cheap help. A lot of them have tossed their catalogs. They just want to push buttons and look at screens.

I was at Lowe's Sat. I wanted a hole saw kit that was on a high shelf. The guy with the red vest didn't know what a hole saw was

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

squonk

If anybody needs a Napa part #for anything PM me.I have Prolink and some catalogs  and can look up most stuff

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

A lot of these parts places hire young cheap help. A lot of them have tossed their catalogs. They just want to push buttons and look at screens.

I was at Lowe's Sat. I wanted a hole saw lot that was on a high shelf. The guy with the red vest didn't know what a hole saw was

Wow😳

JoeM

Prefer Wheel Horse / Toro, I try to inventory a few belts and then when at the show resupply. I have used TSC belts and they work good too. (and a hair cheaper) 

Ed Kennell

TSC belts get my vote.   

Good price

Local  5mile from me

Long life

Returnable

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

just replaced the starter generator to motor belt

The S/G belt should be a raw rubber edge belt, here are a few options.

232613 Kohler belt nla Use 231605

232613 - Gates 7320 .41"x32.58" 36 degree or Napa 25-7320 .41"x32.58" 36 degree

231605 - Gates 7315 .41"x32.08" 36 degree or Napa 25-7315 .41"x32.08" 36 degree

1964 model 854

1965 model 855

1965 model 875

Starter/generator belt

Kohler 10hp, 12hp - 235262 (7345 Gates .410" x 35.09" 36 degree) (25-7345 Napa .410" x 35.09" 36 degree)

Wheel Horse 1593 (3L x 34.4") - nla (Gates replacement 6735 3/8" x 35" 38 degree)

1964 model 1045

1964 model 1054 - Not in PSB - Wheel Horse # 1593 nla {3Lx34.4"} - Gates 7340 .410"x34.58" 36 degree or Napa 25-7340 .410"x34.58" 36 degree

1965 model 1054A - Not in PSB - Kohler 235262 replaces 235528 [.41"x35.09" 36 degree] - Gates 7345 .41"x35.09" 36 degree or Napa 25-7345 .41"x35.09" 36 degree

1965 model 1055

1965 model 1075

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Im debating wether or not to venture 

out right now so lm gonna go the way 

of on line purchase. Doesnt leave too many options at this point. 

ZXT

I'm cheap, so I use cheap belts. One brand I have found on eBay and Amazon is D&D Powerdrive. I've put their belts on 6 machines (not all WH) and have some that are at least 4 years old now, and get mowed with nearly weekly during the summer. No failures yet. 

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Doesnt leave too many options at this point. 

Randy just poke around a bit more.

There's nothing you can't find online.

The Tuul Crib

Yeah I just might do that Eric I have another tractor do use  anyway so I'm not too concerned. Not working right now so get plenty of time to look on the computer

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 2