richmondred01

Running Board Mats Glue

richmondred01

In the past I’ve glued several running board mats. I’ve always used gorilla glue or contact cement.

Having said that, both products are not forgiving and it’s difficult, if not impossible, to readjust/reposition once placed.

Has anyone utilized a glue for the rubber mats that gives some time for readjusting/repositioning?

• Like 1

tom2p

been a while since I've used it - but in the past I used 3M emblem adhesive cement 

I believe this stuff is similar to a contact cement (or is contact cement ?) 

I believe the work time is around 20 or 30 seconds ?

( again - been a while since I've used it )

• Like 1

formariz
36 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

In the past I’ve glued several running board mats. I’ve always used gorilla glue or contact cement.

Having said that, both products are not forgiving and it’s difficult, if not impossible, to readjust/reposition once placed.

Has anyone utilized a glue for the rubber mats that gives some time for readjusting/repositioning?

You can use 3M spray adhesive (super 77). It is a contact cement but spray both surfaces and apply while wet. You can move it around as needed for a bit. Just apply a little weight after until glue dries. I have used it that way with success for various complicated assemblies. If some areas do not stick after it dries you can reactivate adhesive with a hair drier and reapply pressure.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

tom2p

on the mention of Gorilla Glue 

I've tried different types of Gorilla Glue for different applications - and most times disappointed 

much better success with Loctite super glue ... all types including gel control etc 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

richmondred01

Looks like loctite only gives 15-30 seconds.

• Like 1

formariz

Important note with the contact cement- If you spray both surfaces even though you apply it wet, it grabs much faster than if you only do one surface. If you are not familiar with that process one surface is recommended. You can use this method with any contact cement.

You can also use a floor vinyl tile adhesive. That will allow you ample time for repositioning.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

DougC

3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive is what you want to use. 

Clean and dry both surfaces then apply and position. You can move it around and adjust it till your satisfied then walk away for a few hours and it's a done deal'

I used it all the time at the GM Dealership for rubber anything that needs glued down.

You can get it at NAPA in a tube like toothpaste. Also great for things like transmission pan and engine oil pan gaskets that they like to wad up and toss in a box.

• Like 5

squonk

If you want to make sure it doesn't come off again after years in the snow and rain there is only 1 adhesive that works. Windshield urethane adhesive. During my Napa days guys would come in looking for a glue that would hold the mats on jet skis and boats. They had tried everything but they would end up coming unglued. I sold them the window urethane and once the marina's heard about it, they were ordering it. 

• Like 2

tom2p
7 hours ago, DougC said:

3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive is what you want to use. 

Clean and dry both surfaces then apply and position. You can move it around and adjust it till your satisfied then walk away for a few hours and it's a done deal'

I used it all the time at the GM Dealership for rubber anything that needs glued down.

You can get it at NAPA in a tube like toothpaste. Also great for things like transmission pan and engine oil pan gaskets that they like to wad up and toss in a box.

I recall using this stuff when I worked at body shops (long ago)

Might be better than 3M Emblem Adhesive that I currently have 

cod
16 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Any chance that placing a piece of wax paper between the two pieces would work?  Helped a friend with some Formica counter tops years ago using contact cement and after we painted both sides with cement, he put down strips of wax paper and then we laid the sheet in place. Then working from one end he pulled the wax paper out and that was that. The counter top was about 8 feet long but we could adjust it on the wax paper. Foot rests aren't that big and you have the bend by the rear wheel but it might be worth a shot.

Good luck!

Cod

• Like 1

richmondred01

Got some 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive  coming in today. 
Will let you know.

Pollack Pete
22 hours ago, tom2p said:

on the mention of Gorilla Glue 

I've tried different types of Gorilla Glue for different applications - and most times disappointed 

much better success with Loctite super glue ... all types including gel control etc 

I agree about Gorilla Glue.I NEVER had good results with it.Dries up real good in the squeeze bottle though.Bottle gets hard as a rock once opened.Even with the little cap on the bottle.The only product that is worse is Gorilla Tape.They have a lot of nerve selling that crap.

tom2p
1 hour ago, Pollack Pete said:

I agree about Gorilla Glue.I NEVER had good results with it.Dries up real good in the squeeze bottle though.Bottle gets hard as a rock once opened.Even with the little cap on the bottle.The only product that is worse is Gorilla Tape.They have a lot of nerve selling that crap.

good advertising - bad product 

lol

I still do a fair amount of repairs etc with adhesives including super glue (CA glue), epoxies etc - but at one time did a lot of work with plastics especially and found Loctite superglue to be one of the best 

RandyLittrell
21 hours ago, squonk said:

If you want to make sure it doesn't come off again after years in the snow and rain there is only 1 adhesive that works. Windshield urethane adhesive. During my Napa days guys would come in looking for a glue that would hold the mats on jet skis and boats. They had tried everything but they would end up coming unglued. I sold them the window urethane and once the marina's heard about it, they were ordering it. 

I am a retired 30+ year auto glass and body tech and primerless urethanes will bond most things and they are a structural adhesive as well! 

Randy

richmondred01

I used 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive and it worked very well.

• Thanks 1

doc724

I have put on new running board mats several times now.  I always use the material with adhesive backing and have not had a problem.  Before I even attempt to put the mat down, I tape off the correct position with painters tape.  That way I align one edge perfectly and the rest fall into place.