Sign in to follow this  
Mudrig150

You're going to use THAT?

Mudrig150

We have online schooling, where we do a group call in an app called zoom. Let's just say... I ain't doing it. Zoom is a terrible way to do any kind of group calls, it's easily hacked in to, it's incredibly insecure, and it blatantly shows off your IP address with one simple secret button press, which allows them to directly control your computer and every connected computer, and access everything. At this time especially when a ton of schools are using it, the hackers are ramping up exponentially... The only upside is that you can have a ton of people on it, and its free... But is it really worth the risk?

So yeah, if the school uses zoom, count me out.

Pullstart

Do you have any anti spyware, or antivirus protection?  I know that the systems are struggling to connect with students and though technically most kids are enough credits in to pass their grade, the more effort you put forth to learn right now the better for your future.  

We homeschool, so life as somewhat as usual.  Kids still need to learn.  If you can’t connect with your class, please reach out to your teachers for alternatives.  

• Like 4

JoeM

Zoom can be a very good tool and is used by a lot of medical personal for all sorts of interfaces. It is only as insecure as you want it to be. sounds like an excuse to me. 

Hook up and learn. You can't have that much to loose!

• Like 1

bc.gold
7 hours ago, Mudrig150 said:

We have online schooling, where we do a group call in an app called zoom. Let's just say... I ain't doing it. Zoom is a terrible way to do any kind of group calls, it's easily hacked in to, it's incredibly insecure, and it blatantly shows off your IP address with one simple secret button press, which allows them to directly control your computer and every connected computer, and access everything. At this time especially when a ton of schools are using it, the hackers are ramping up exponentially... The only upside is that you can have a ton of people on it, and its free... But is it really worth the risk?

So yeah, if the school uses zoom, count me out.

In your firewall block unnecessary ports, below are the ports required for  Zoom

Protocol Ports Source Destination
TCP 80, 443 All Zoom Clients and Meeting Connector *.zoom.us
TCP 443, 8801, 8802 All Zoom Clients MeetingConnector.IP
MeetingConnector.IP2
MeetingConnector2.IP
MeetingConnector2.IP2
UDP 3478, 3479, 8801, 8802  All Zoom Clients MeetingConnector.IP
MeetingConnector.IP2
MeetingConnector2.IP
MeetingConnector2.IP2

Edited by bcgold

Mudrig150

We've been talking to the teachers and they've said that they will see what else they can use. One of the teacher already got hacked while testing so they're probably just going to use google classroom.

bc.gold

A computer has 65,535 ports ( highways ) learn  the function of each then close the lanes you don't need. Once the parameters have been set in your firewall then only approved traffic will be permitted access.

https://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=8801

When troubleshooting unknown open ports, it is useful to find exactly what services/processes are listening to them. This can be accomplished in both Windows command prompt and Linux variants using the "netstat -aon" command. We also recommend runnig multiple anti-virus/anti-malware scans to rule out the possibility of active malicious software. For more detailed and personalized help please use our forums.

Edited by bcgold

Mudrig150

Welp, our school is just going to be uploading videos with instructions and end up doing the work in google classroom.