csvt99

42" RD mower w/ mucher set up tips?

csvt99

I have a 42" RD mower with a mulching kit on a 314-8.  Last season was my first year morning with it. It did great until about July, when the grass got thicker and would clog up. I removed the mulching kit and that solved the issue. I would like to keep the mulching kit on year round. Is there anything I can adjust with the set up so it doesn't clog?

squonk

Cut more often and clean out the deck. That's what I do with mine. Take the insert out at least once a mowing season again before winter. The drier the grass the better

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

csvt99
14 minutes ago, squonk said:

Cut more often and clean out the deck. That's what I do with mine. Take the insert out at least once a mowing season again before winter. The drier the grass the better

To clean mine out I just lay on the ground and reach under as best as I can. With everything shut down of course. I tried the hose once but it didn't really work. Any other suggestions?

clueless

Are you running the tractor at wide open throttle when your cutting the grass?

• Like 1

squonk

You need at least, one of those mower lifts like Tractor Supply sells that lift the front wheels and a pair of Jack stands and use a putty knife to scrape as much as you can. Otherwise take the deck off

• Like 1

nylyon

I loved my recycler deck, but there’s really zero way that you will ever successfully cut tall or wet grass.  I recommend getting another machine or at least a deck for then the grass is longer or wetter. It will be much less stressful for you than trying to mow full time with the recycler.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

csvt99

Thanks for all the input. I might have to think about the lift or at least a set of wheels ramps to make cleaning the deck easier. Perhaps I will give it another year and see how it goes. Maybe I will try to pick up another deck for it. It seems to well until mid summer. I am hoping to do a better job controlling my crabgrass so hopefully that will help too.

nylyon

Just a thought for you, with a rear discharge deck (just take the recycler off and change the blades) you can pull a sweeper.  It picks up more clippings  than the recycler chunks up, and will help some with weeds since it can collect the seeds where as the recycler leaves 100% to germinate. That is one of the big advantages of a RD deck in my opinion.

• Like 2

csvt99
12 minutes ago, nylyon said:

Just a thought for you, with a rear discharge deck (just take the recycler off and change the blades) you can pull a sweeper.  It picks up more clippings  than the recycler chunks up, and will help some with weeds since it can collect the seeds where as the recycler leaves 100% to germinate. That is one of the big advantages of a RD deck in my opinion.

That is something to consider. My blades seem to be standard blades. Do I need different blades if not running the mulcher? I can't run gator blades because the threads on the spindles are not long enough

8ntruck

I switched to a RD deck last year.  Worked great in the summer when combined with the pull behind sweeper.  Didn't work as well as I had hoped in the fall when working through the heavy accumulation of damp oak leaves.

This year, I'll try to stay ahead of the trees and mow before too many leaves accumulate.

SylvanLakeWH

Mow more often, only at wide open throttle, very dry grass, clean deck after each mow...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

csvt99
18 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Mow more often, only at wide open throttle, very dry grass, clean deck after each mow...

:twocents-02cents:

I do all of this. Or I try to🙄. Cleaning the deck is a pain although I do it most times. Although I must say I don't know ANYONE personally that does this other than myself. I also try for dry grass but that can be difficult in the north east.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I agree. It is a pain. And it still builds up...

Ed Kennell

@csvt99  I'm not sure where you are in Pa, but here in SC Pa,   my grass is wet and heavy in April, May and into June.

During this time, I use a 48" SD with a deflector to windrow the grass, then gather it up with a sweeper.

My grass doesn't grow much after July, so then I use a 42"RD and just distribute the dry clippings.

When using the RD, be sure so clean the tranny...especially if it's a hydro.

oliver2-44

My WH's are workers, but I'm still mowing with a 2003 JD LT150 I had before I knew what a WH even was.  Chastise me if you will, but the reason I keep it, is it has a bagger which sure is helpful when out Live Oak trees drop tons of leaves each March. When it dies l'll switch to a WH.  It has a standard deck with a recycler baffel option that (sort of) closes off the side discharge.  I've used regular blades, mulching blades and high lift bagger blades with it in both wet and dry grass.   The mulching and high lift blades definately work much better.  

My son mowes with the WH 312-8 and a 42" SD deck that I restored for him a few years ago.  Last summer we made a flat plate to plug the side discharge and he used it with regular blades for a while, and got some clumping.  He put mulching blades on it, and it has worked much better, not perfect, but not bad considering the flat blanking plate. .  

• Like 1

nylyon
2 hours ago, csvt99 said:

That is something to consider. My blades seem to be standard blades. Do I need different blades if not running the mulcher? I can't run gator blades because the threads on the spindles are not long enough

The recycler uses a wider blade than the standard deck does,  When I would remove the recycler, I would put the standard blades back on. 

squonk

I put a rubber flap on the rear of the deck.Keeps the hydro clean.

• Like 3

tom2p

have a 42" RD deck on one tractor 

don't have a mulching kit - but I have noticed the grass clippings are better dispersed when the front of the mower deck is adjusted with the front up a bit

I use the standard OEM Wheel Horse blades  ;  standard Wheel Horse rotary (deck) belt 

like squonk and others on this board I also installed a flap on the rear of the deck 

flap is made from a 4" multi-ply rubber belt material  ; notched on the ends to provide clearance for the rear tires 

A014486B-6A56-442F-95DC-EC083F7A44F3.jpeg

56C83790-CF33-4AC0-A0F5-F5A153EDDC79.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

tom2p

first pic above - note the bare spot on the rear part of the deck shell from the belt bouncing and contacting the deck 

I eliminated most of this with a new belt and some maintenance (new washers on belt tensioner bar, etc) -  but some on this board (Pete and or Ed or lynnmor or  ?) took another step and installed an additional 

pulley to properly support / tension the belt in that area 

Edited by tom2p

csvt99
14 hours ago, nylyon said:

The recycler uses a wider blade than the standard deck does,  When I would remove the recycler, I would put the standard blades back on. 

How do I determine which blades I have?

nylyon

If I measured correctly, the recycler blades are about 2 ⅞" wide

csvt99
7 minutes ago, nylyon said:

If I measured correctly, the recycler blades are about 2 ⅞" wide

Ok, mine measure 2.5"? Is it a big deal if the blades are not the correct width?

nylyon

It would make the deck not cut as well.  If you plan to leave the insert in, you should try to find the proper blades.

csvt99
On 3/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, nylyon said:

It would make the deck not cut as well.  If you plan to leave the insert in, you should try to find the proper blades.

Can anyone describe the difference I would notice? Also is there a preferred solar or do I need to go through a dealer?

skrusins

I'm confused? I have a 78355 42rd recycler and blades and the blades are 2 3/4".