MNWheelHorse

First oil change new 416-H

MNWheelHorse

Hey guys, 

New here to the forum and I just inherited a "new to me" Wheel Horse 416-H and was curious what the oil filter # and oil capacity is? 

It did not come with a manual, so a link to that would be helpful too. Here's a picture of her: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks!

• Like 3

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

My knowledge is of older machines but...

Other more astute folk will be along to help with your questions.

tom2p

welcome !

Onan 16 (P216)

oil capacity - 

1.8 qts 

oil filter -      

Toro            NN10143

Onan          122-0800

Fleetguard  LF-3339

Stens          120-517

Wix              51762

NAPA          1516

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

gwest_ca

Let us know what is on this decal so we can link you to the correct manuals

Garry

416-H pic.jpg

squonk
52 minutes ago, tom2p said:

welcome !

Onan 16 (P216)

oil capacity - 

1.8 qts 

oil filter -      

Toro            NN10143

Onan          122-0800

Fleetguard  LF-3339

Stens          120-517

Wix              51762

NAPA          1516

The Napa  1762 (same as Wix 51762) is 1/4 " shorter than the 1516 .It is more expensive but might be easier to change. Things are tight in there

tom2p
40 minutes ago, squonk said:

The Napa  1762 (same as Wix 51762) is 1/4 " shorter than the 1516 .It is more expensive but might be easier to change. Things are tight in there

agree - tight fit 

and I prefer to pre-fill filter as much as possible - so I typically have a mess when I finish 

you are correct about the 1516 length - one of the longer filters for this application ... last time I checked NAPA 1516 was approx 4.82" length 

more recent NN10147 / Onan 122-0800 are just over 4" length (4.1") and also slightly smaller diameter (2.92") than typical 3" diameter

earlier Onan 122-0800 was around 4 1/4" length 

Fleetguard LF-3339 was around 4 1/2 " length  (4.56")

Edited by tom2p

MNWheelHorse

Here is the model info: 

spacer.png

peter lena

mnwheelhorse, welcome, how come all the newbies get the  best start out tractors ? i would love to find one of those in my area . glad to have you onboard , and you got your basic oil change info , i agree with tom2p on the pre fill oil filter, just stand it up on the bench and fill it with oil , the paper filter will absorb the oil and minimize oil drainage while screwing it on , and most importantly ,help prevent a dry start.  you might also give that paint job a wd40 oil on a clean rag rub down, that will feed the paint clean off the crud and inspire you to keep going on with refreshing your new horse. ask away on any question that you might have , great tractor that you are starting with , pete 

lynnmor

Be sure it has the 122-0502 Oil Filter to Shroud Gasket around the oil filter.  I use the Onan 122-0800 or Fleetguard LF3339 filters.  Both are from the same company and an Onan box might contain the Fleetguard filter.  Google the Fleetguard number and the gasket number, then pick your supplier.

• Like 1

MNWheelHorse

I went to fleet farm yesterday and ended up with a Fram PH3614 which was the cross reference for the Toro filter. Had to order the Stens filter online for the Hydro change. Is there anything in particular I have to do with the Hydro change or is it the same procedure as a regular oil change? 

lynnmor

Filling the transmission will try your patience, allow plenty of time for the oil to slowly go down the tube.

WHX??

:WRS:

Just to let you know next oil change try to stay away from the Frams from FF. There has been much discussion here about their poor quality. I use NAPA/WIX in all my Onans and hydros. I also use synthetic 10/w30  in both the motor and hydro. 

MNWheelHorse

Interesting I will keep that in mind the next time I buy. I bought Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30 for the hydro change and amsoil synthetic 0w40 four cycle for the motor. I’ve run this in my hustler fastrak and Honda rancher with good results. Is their issue with that? 

WHX??
1 hour ago, MNWheelHorse said:

Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30 for the hydro change

Good choice there. When refilling the hydro leave the filter a little loose to help in burping it. A drinking straw down next to the funnel works too. Idk about you choice of motor oil. All I can tell you is here is what the manual says. 

Annotation 2020-03-31 113952.png

tom2p
4 hours ago, MNWheelHorse said:

Interesting I will keep that in mind the next time I buy. I bought Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30 for the hydro change and amsoil synthetic 0w40 four cycle for the motor. I’ve run this in my hustler fastrak and Honda rancher with good results. Is their issue with that? 

note Fram is not on my list of filters - and not by accident 

Mobil 1 would be good for both the hydro and engine ;  I used Mobil 1 in my 416-H and 312-8 for decades with good results (1000 and 800 hours with no issues and still very little oil consumption )

any quality motor oil should be fine - provided it is changed at the proper intervals 

some motor oils will break down sooner than others - and issues could surface earlier if not changed at regular intervals 

just recently switched from Mobil 1 to Quaker State Ultimate Durability after I read some favorable reports - and price is lower 

also lost some faith in Mobil products because of their advertising and claims for Mobil 1 Annual / annual oil change intervals ( which is not smart ) - but I still have a gallon jug of Mobil 1 and plan to use it 

also read good reports on Amsoil so it appears the performance matches the hype - but never tried Amsoil due to lack of availability (in my area)

Edited by tom2p

Tuneup

I wonder how many have filters on their 16s? Mine has just a pressure sensor. The hole for the filter remains and is covered by a large cap.

MNWheelHorse

Went to change the oil tonight and there was a NAPA 1764 in there. I tried replacing it with a FRAM PH3614 and it was way too short. Going to NAPA tomorrow to get a 1764 and also a new hydro filter, air filter and pre filter. MIght do the spark plugs as well. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Older thread by Squonk but true..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Older thread by Squonk but true..

I'll vouch for that one as well. I used to be in the auto parts industry.

at one point we switched over from Fram filters to Baldwin filters. That was a great decision.

All the research and personal opinions I've seen over the years points to the Wix brand as being the top of the line with liquid filtration.

bottjernat1

I use stens filter. they seem to work great for me! havent had an issue yet!

Chestnut

I'm gathering materials to do oil changes on half a dozen lawn/garden tractors and picking filters started to make my head hurt. Too many different filters. I ended up getting 5 of 6 from Amazon but it l couldn't get the sixth. I'll have to go to the dealer for that one this time. 

First question: Has anyone bought filters from and have an opinion of Cutter's Choice? They had most of the filters, including the oddball under their own part numbers.

This is the rundown of what I have and got for filters

15 quarts Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. I've used Mobil 1 since the '70's but trying something different.

2 Onan's, different filters. Bought 1 Wix and one OEM.

2 B&S Bought OEM short filters

1 Kohler The B&S filters cross referenced to this but I bought an OEM Kohler filter. Belongs to the Lady next door.

1 Cub Cadet/MTD. It's a new-ish engine that Cub Cadet claims to make themselves. V twin with EFI. I couldn't find any easy cross reference except for Cutters Direct mentioned above. There's a story behind how and why my mother in law has this tractor that's worth telling. I'll probably post later.

Second question: I thought I saw another thread where someone had a couple of cross references for the two Onan's. Both in 520H's, one 1991 the other 1995. The OEM oil filter numbers are 108-3817 and  137-5012. If someone recalls where that post is or has some good cross references, I'd appreciate.