ebinmaine

Nice running rig

• Thanks 1

Sam Pasch

15856814262561266607976.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Sam Pasch

I know that I'm going to do a head gasket and definitely a shift boot and gear oil, but I don't know if I should paint it or leave the patina.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

When you do the head gasket be sure to check head flatness.  If needed you can sand it flat with wet or dry sandpaper  using a piece of glass as a flat plate to sand on 

• Like 1

Sam Pasch
2 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

If needed you can sand it flat with wet or dry sandpaper  using a piece of glass as a flat plate to sand on 

What grit would you recommend?

oliver2-44

Probable lots of opinions on the grit to use. I start with 220 then when it’s close to flat, maybe 80-90 % I go to 320 .  I move the head in a figure 8 motion  and turn it 180 in my hands ever so often. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Sam Pasch said:

What grit would you recommend?

5 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Probable lots of opinions on the grit to use. I start with 220 then when it’s close to flat, maybe 80-90 % I go to 320 .  I move the head in a figure 8 motion  and turn it 180 in my hands ever so often. 

I start a little coarser.

I use figure 8s but also a straight back and forth.

When I use a back and forth motion I rotate the head 90 degrees every few strokes to keep it even.

6 hours ago, Sam Pasch said:

I don't know if I should paint it or leave the patina

Only you can answer that.

There are different opinions and reasons for that one too.

Trina and I are normally "fresh paint people" but she's been running Pigpen (her 867)  for a year or more with no plans to paint it yet.

If in doubt... Don't paint it yet.

The end result is great if you're willing to do the work but it isn't an overnight task.

Pullstart

That thing runs like a top!  I like those rear wheels and tires on it too :handgestures-thumbupright:

Sam Pasch
35 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I like those rear wheels and tires on it too :handgestures-thumbupright:

Im pretty sure the rims are from when it was a pulling tractor. It had ags on it when grandpa bought it so I'm told, but they got worn out and got replaced with turfs.

Edited by Sam Pasch
  • Thanks 1

Sam Pasch

I got the hole in the deck welded and put it back together. I lubed everything, painted the patch, sharpened the blades, and now the grass just needs to grow!

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

I cannot say enough good things about this stuff to coat the bottom of your deck. It is so bomb proof that I use it on battery trays. 87% of users give it five stars. All you do is get the deck down to tightly adhering rust and it will stay on and dries glass hard.

https://agriguardcoatings.com/products/agriguard-coating-system

A quart will easily do two coats on a deck, but you have to do the second coat before the first coat fully hardens as per the instructions

• Thanks 1

Sam Pasch

Its gonna be needing a new shift boot. I just realized now I have a use for my wheel horse grease gun.

1585872508579819181488.jpg

1585872529920539423229.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Nice grease gun...

You can a shift boot from Wheelhorse parts and more.com

• Thanks 1

Sam Pasch

I pulled the head off today. Its definitely been leaking judging by the sooty area on the side. The rest is in great shape. The cross hatch is even still on the cylinder bore. I've got a new gasket coming.

0403200852.jpg

0403200853.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Sam Pasch said:

head

Gonna flatten that out while you're waiting for the gasket?

Sam Pasch

Once I get some sand paper. I realized I don't have any in the garage right now.

• Like 1

lynnmor

You might want to flatten both the head and block.  Any chance a used gasket was installed previously?

Sam Pasch
7 hours ago, lynnmor said:

You might want to flatten both the head and block.  Any chance a used gasket was installed previously?

I have no idea what the PO did when he rebuilt the engine. The rest of it looked to be a pretty average job, so there is a possibility.

Sam Pasch

I got some of the parts I ordered today:head gasket, air filter, fuel filter. I ordered a glass k&n fuel filter, so hopefully it last a while. I sanded the head flat and torqued the head down on gasket. I installed the filters and it seems to run stronger now with the new gasket.

0408201657.jpg

0408201413a.jpg

0408201413.jpg

0408201436.jpg

0408201611.jpg

0408201412.jpg

• Like 3

Sam Pasch

I got a new shift boot today. Much better than the rotten one that was on it. Also, I decided to try and wet sand and polish "Roy" today. Glad I did.  1586548863169322885234.jpg.355ae4b648fd1a8c09a5ca114334e227.jpgDoes anyone know if the headlight lens that they sell at wheel horse parts and more will fit an 867?15865488122522094935230.jpg.b9eaff86749bc2f54e7eac417387356b.jpg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Looks great!

Have you flushed and changed the transmission oil?

Not sure on the headlight lense.

You could call and ask.

Lowell and Joette are good folk.

Sam Pasch

I'm gonna change the oil in the trans and the engine as soon as I can go to a store without being infected😁😁

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Sam Pasch said:

I'm gonna change the oil in the trans and the engine as soon as I can go to a store without being infected😁😁

Doesn't stop me. I'm essential, expendable, whatever it is.....:lol:

I have to be out every day.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

To be honest, I order my oil and many other things online and get it delivered right to the house anyway.

• Like 2

Sam Pasch

I rigged up a go pro mount to film some Easter riding tomorrow. I would go out today but its raining here in Northern Illinois.

• Like 2