WildmanC120

Broken Tiller Chain

WildmanC120

Anyone ever break the chain in their tiller?  I picked up this tiller a few years ago and never used it until today. It was working just fine for about 10 minutes then nothing.  The PTO works and the input to the tiller spins but when you try to turn the auger it rotates maybe 1/4 turn in each direction and binds up.  Looking through the oil fill hole the chain is not on the input gear. 

Where can I get chain without spending $190 for it from parts tree?  How hard is it to get the tiller apart?  

I will have video of using it uploaded soon

IMG_20200328_142842.jpg

IMG_20200328_134215.jpg

Edited by WildmanC120

Daron1965

I broke a chain on one many years ago.  I was able to remove the broken link and add another master link.  I remember it was not to difficult to find, and that was before the internet.  Keep us updated.

Tractorhead

Had the same situation on another tiller.( non Wheel Horse)  Chain break

To be honest, i don‘t know how much work it is, to disassemble your Tiller, but i would give it a try.

Firstly draining the oil, then remove as next step the hackstars to have more space and less weight.

i think it must be disassembled much, that means cover away, unscrew all parts that in the Way to the Gearbox.

( i would mark all parts they must be dismounted, to bring they later quick back again.)

pictures are also helpfully when disassembling for later reassembling.

Maybe you are lucky and there is a maintenance hatch, where you can fix the chain, but if not,

a split of gearbox is required.

I think you must take it apart to fix the Chain.

All in all it‘s just a „screwjob“ until you be on the Part that must be fixed.

On the other side now is a good time to check any wear of the loaded Parts at all.

( Sprockets, Ballbearings, Chain)

As long as the Chain itself and the sprockets is in good condition and just a chainpart is broken 

clean up the Gearbox from any Metalparts and exchange your Chain.

you maybe also just have to exchange the broken chain part

or maybe you decide to exchange the whole chain, depending on wear.

Hopefully it’s same easy fix as mine, than it can be done with a simple chainlock.

This are available in all sizes because chains are Standart parts.

Edit - found that pict in the Manuals section.

it seems you are just have to disassembling the left side to open the chainbox.

image.jpeg.fcf30b4aa320d05e4b07b5ed83449f96.jpeg

Found that pict

Edited by Tractorhead

c-series don

I know Tractorhead has the best of intentions but the above tiller is not your 36” tiller. I’ll never knock someone for trying to help! 

WildmanC120

Does anyone have pics of the chain or know the size? I don't even know what it looks like etc. 

lynnmor

It is ordinary roller chain of a large size, sorry don't know exactly what the size is.  Since it needs to come apart, just disassemble and take the old chain to a TSC store.