Volleballogist

1962-64, 502 Restoration. Need Help Getting Started.

Volleballogist

Also what's the best method for removing this piece?

15864692095848835073839869277726.jpg

pfrederi

Remove the set screws (make sure non were doubled) and a device like this

puller.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Remove the set screws (make sure non were doubled) and a device like this

puller.JPG

Clean the paint off the crankshaft first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

And your best tool yet, might just be patience.  Remember you want things to happen NOW but it took upwards of 50 years to get stuck.

• Like 1

Volleballogist

Didnt realise there were TWO pages now. I ended up getting it off with a 3 claw style puller for flywheels in cars. Didnt see the suggestions until today but it worked all the same. I took it all apart replaced the gaskets and got a new spark plug. Once I put it together did a compression test was around 65psi. Then I made a makeshift gas tank out of a milk jug and got the engine started with a little engine starter. It ran good and strong but quickly picked up RPMs before I started adjusting the carburetor. Once I touched the carburetor I couldn't really get it to start again even with starter fluid. Finally defeated I did another compression test and only got around 35/40(see pic below). Any tricks or tips?

20200411_170556.jpg

Volleballogist

20200409_172619.jpg

20200409_200734.jpg

20200410_101657.jpg

Volleballogist

After cleaning 

20200410_132729.jpg

20200410_132740.jpg

• Excellent 1

Volleballogist

Vinegar did an amazing job in the muffler

20200411_164944.jpg

• Excellent 1

Volleballogist

20200411_165106.jpg

• Excellent 1

Volleballogist
On 4/10/2020 at 9:31 AM, pullstart said:

And your best tool yet, might just be patience.  Remember you want things to happen NOW but it took upwards of 50 years to get stuck.

Haha. You are right. I've found myself very frustrated today from trying to rush to get this thing to run. When torquing the case bolts down, I speced my torque wrench for 15ft-lbs when I should have set it for 15Nm. Sheared off the original bolts my grandfather used... took it slow from there.

• Thanks 1

Volleballogist

Found the culprit. Pretty bummed that a brand new gasket blew. Any clue why there is oil on top of the piston? 

20200411_191919.jpg

• Sad 1

ebinmaine

Oil control ring backwards?

Ring gaps lined up?

Volleballogist
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Oil control ring backwards?

Ring gaps lined up?

I didn't take out the cylinder to inspect it or the rings since the compression wasn't really an issue before I took it apart. I also did not mess with the oil control ring since that didnt seem to have anything wrong with it.

Edited by Volleballogist
addition to statement
  • Like 1

Volleballogist

Used the old gasket since the new one blew on me. runs like a champ. Now another issue that has come up is that the one bolt that secures the head is stripped and not even able to be torqued. Some oil had been leaking from the head in this spot. I'm thinking about tapping out new threads and sizing up the bolt. Is that the right idea or should I go another avenue?

20200412_130550.jpg

lynnmor

Usually the best repair is with a Heli-Coil.  If you have intersecting holes, there may be a problem with either a larger bolt or the Heli-Coil.

• Like 1

Volleballogist
6 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Usually the best repair is with a Heli-Coil.  If you have intersecting holes, there may be a problem with either a larger bolt or the Heli-Coil.

I went out and bought a heli-coul to try. after getting about a centimeter down it looked like it was doing more damage than good. So I ended up just running a the bolt through and having a nut and washer on the other side for now until I get a tapping set.

oliver2-44

If /when you pull the head again it would be a good idea to sand the head flat using a piece of glass and wet/dry sand paper.   Also I like the head gaskets that have a solid (hollow)  "crush" ring on their inner diameter. 

• Like 1

Volleballogist

I am having a pretty difficult time finding the hitch assembly parts. would something like this work even though it's not the correct part number?

Screenshot_20200415-213820_Chrome.jpg

oliver2-44

You can get a reproduction cable from one of our vendors. Wheel Horse Parts’s d More. He may also reproduce the slot hitch

• Thanks 1

Volleballogist
29 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

He may also reproduce the slot hitch

Just checked and he doesn't.

ebinmaine

I THINK I have a slot hitch that needs the rod drilled out due to being rusted.

Not something we'll ever use.

If I can find it are you interested in drilling out the ends and using it?

• Thanks 1

Volleballogist
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If I can find it are you interested in drilling out the ends and using it?

Sure, I would be interested in taking it off of your hands. Depending on its overall condition. If/ when you find it let me know. 

But the question remains. is the part in the picture interchangeable with my tractor? 

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Volleballogist said:

. is the part in the picture interchangeable with my tractor

I'll have to let somebody else answer that one. I'm only familiar with the 1965 and up.

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701
8 hours ago, Volleballogist said:

Just checked and he doesn't.

they are on ebay often, I think I just saw 6 or listings for the hitch one was under 40 bucks, the cable you can easily make for under 15 bucks with material from lowes 

• Thanks 1

Volleballogist

I installed a new air filter assembly and the throttle/choke cables. Cleaned out the gas tank and hooked up the fuel line. The engine runs great. I drove it around my yard and the transmission seems to be in good shape too. The only issues that I seem to have is the engine does have light white smoke that comes out of the muffler and when I shut the engine off the smoke comes out of the carb and carb tube. When I took the spark plug out it looked really dirty. The other issue is that my hood doesnt fit anymore with the air filter assembly although I think I could bend the frame a little.

20200420_140249.jpg

15874241920465900986335711614031.jpg

15874242532253453886747251572008.jpg

• Like 3