Horse46

Horse refusing to come out of barn

Horse46

Hey guys,

long time no visit. In fact its been a while since I have had anything to do with the Wheelhorse at all and as such Horse 46 is having an issue.

I parked her up end of the season and drained all the fuel out and ran her dry, battery off and on the conditioner. As yet I haven't tried to start her but thats because she won't move. It's not in gear the brake is off but she won't move. I have managed to get it out into the open and jacked her up, so what what I'm getting is one wheel going forward and one in reverse, which of course isn't ideal.

Can any of you kind gentlemen throw me rope? I have basic mechanical skill so I'm hoping no one says its open the casing time!

pfrederi

What Model tractor are you dealing with??? Hydro , 8 speed ?  One wheel forward and the other turning in opposite direction is normal for most WHs  (10 pinion differentials on Raiders Chargers and some others are the exception

WHX??

With the rear end up one wheel should spin in the opposite direction. This is the differential working. Any chance water froze in the transmission? When you say it's not in gear we are guessing a gear jammer here?

Yes we need know what horse we are dealing with. If it's a hydro tow valve not released? Can you get it started and see if it moves under power?  

• Like 1

pfrederi

You could pull the gear shift lever and make sure the shift forks are aligned as in the last picture if not use a big screw driver to align them.  also try turning the input pulley with tanny in neutral

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0264_LI.jpg

• Like 5

Horse46

Hi guys 

its a C160, not tried to get it running yet. I won't damage anything if I try to move it?

pfrederi

Before you try to drive it try turning the input pulley by hand in neutral and then with the wheel still jacks up try it in gear. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, Horse46 said:

Hi guys 

its a C160, not tried to get it running yet. I won't damage anything if I try to move it?

I believe C-160 could be 8 speed or hydro though.  Which are you dealing with?  If it’s the 8 speed, I’d for sure pull the dipstick and look for signs of water.  

• Like 2

Horse46

Guy's you remain in my top 3, sorry wife n kids might be listening.I stuck it in gear nice n gentle rocked her back n forth and there was a little jolt and it was free! 

She fired up real easy too.

Going to mow before it gets dark, I will check in later as we will all have a little time on our hands.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Wished all our fixes were that easy. I would pull the dipstick and check for bad oil. Might be some water in there and caused things to set up over layup. Better yet maybe just change the oil. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I would say it is water that froze in the transmission.  Need to warm it up and change it.  It doesn't take too much water to do this.  Drain it, run some diesel for 20 minutes and drain and fill with 90 wt.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 4

ol550

Possible brake band stuck to drum. :scratchead:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
14 minutes ago, ol550 said:

Possible brake band stuck to drum. :scratchead:

That would do it, huh?

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Nah...maybe in Missouri??    @ol550  :greetings-wavingyellow:  Hi Mike

• Haha 3

Horse46

Oil looks clean, what I can see of it but I'm not sure the dip stick is the right one, looks a bit short?

Could have been a bit of moisture as I did wash it down before putting it away?

Really enjoyed being back on board, it was a beautiful day for mowing. I'm going back out tomorrow to take it down a bit further as it was just the top I took off as it was first cut of the season.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Like 2

rmaynard
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

That would do it, huh?

Not my brake bands :hide:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3