peter lena

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/77007-mower-deck-rustproofing/?tab=comments#comment-743955

peter lena

noticing a number of " newbies  "  asking about mower deck cleaning / rust issues . i have found that cleaning and "  feeding the metal  with lubricant and drying in the sun " has a saving point  . we can all disagree with what we do for mower deck maintenance, but cleaning / scraping and lubrication spray down , letting sun heat and dry out the underside of that deck , will let it live on. if you did nothing else but find a clean base line cleaning , regularly done on your deck , you saved it , the oil lubrication , "  feeds the metal and kills off the crud. my decks have no rot or issues .  not a brag point , but a maintenance fact , worth a try , pete 

• Like 1

Copper116

I just got my ole C101/42 inch tractor and deck.. out of longtime storage... I pulled the deck and scraped off all the crud that I had left on the underside.  ( I know.. stupid me)  Luckily I had cleaned up under there before using drain oil on the underside.  I made getting the crud off easier.  The problem is the triangular deck supports... they are somewhat sealed but have openings from the factory.  They were clogged up with dirt and debri... the cover plating is full of pin holes and more.  I'm considering cuttting these areas out and fabricating a replacement piece and to have them welded in.  My question:  Should I completely treat the then, open cavity with some kind of rust killer and sealant then weld it airtight?  If so, what should I use?  After repaired, should I leave it open to the elements as it is from the factory?  I am also contemplating treating the open cavity by spraying a rust (like POR-15) sealer, then weld/seal it tight.  Then even inserting a grease zerk and filling it with grease..that should keep the area sealed.  What do you think.  I could use some sound advise before I dive into this.  This borrowed photo is similar to what where I describing..... thanks in advance. 

Underside Mower Deck.jpg

lynnmor

Rear discharge decks came in several forms.  Mine has absolutely no baffles and is easy to keep clean but does leave a windrow when grass is heavy.  There are decks that had a removable insert that would allow servicing and coatings, but my guess is they would really collect debris.  Think about cutting out the baffles if you want the deck to last, just know that the quality of the mowing will degrade.

Copper116

I am thinking if I remove the triagular "baffles"... it would weaken the deck.  I don't plan on cutting out the hole baffle.. just the "bottom" plate.  I'll cut that out, clean out the baffle... maybe sandblast it clean, seal it then weld it back shut.  You mention "removable insert"s.  Do you know how I would look those up?  I'm curious if those could be replecated to fit my purpose.  Thanks again...

lynnmor

Does your deck have the solid rod welded on the bottom edge or it just the roll formed edge?  If it has the rod, I would not worry about strength.

Here is the manual for the deck with the removable baffle.