Sparky

Side shot Saturday... AND SUNDAY !

rjg854

Looks good the way it is, a nice oil rub down or buff it out and it will sparkle

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

restoring or keeping it the way it is.

3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Looks good the way it is, *****

buff it out and it will sparkle

I'll second that. ... And that means a fair amount considering I'm not a "patina guy".  

Your tractor still has PLENTY of great original paint. 

Get after it with some good ole fashioned elbow power, wet sand with various grits,  and the right polish.  

You'll be in for a huge surprise how much that'll shine up.  

wallfish
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

considering I'm not a "patina guy"

Uh Oh. You like'm ruined with new paint too? :ychain:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Uh Oh. You like'm ruined with new paint too? :ychain:

Yessir.  Some. 

The Paint Department and I have been begrudgingly growing an appreciation for... Old paint.  

Case in point ... Her own 867 hasn't been restored..... Yet..... 

• Like 1

Handy Don
6 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

I keep wrestling on restoring or keeping it the way it is.

This one has paint that will come back with less effort than a full paint job--save the paint for one that really needs it!

And this from someone who hates rust and isn't into showroom, trailer queen finishes.

• Like 1

wallfish
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

And this from someone who hates rust

Uh Oh, you'll hate everything I own! :ychain:

• Haha 1

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Uh Oh, you'll hate everything I own! :ychain:

Your stuff does challenge my stance, sir, I cannot lie! :) :lol: 

• Haha 2

wallfish
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Your stuff does challenge my stance, sir, I cannot lie!

I'm guessing you and EB would like to ruin that bike with some nice shiney paint and chrome! :lol:

Here's one I painted

25814705_Granbyshowpics003.jpg.888b1d21b04ddc7a233d4b02366317ab.jpg

• Excellent 6

EB-80/8inPA
6 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

I keep wrestling on restoring or keeping it the way it is.

If it helps, and as an old wiseheimer from Mississippi once told me many years ago, “the lazy man’s way is always the best way.”

Now, I never did believe that to be axiomatic (if for no other reason than the source happened to be pretty much a lazy layabout), but it did, on some level, seem to make some sound economic sense in terms of efficiency.

Originality not only has its own intrinsic value, but its retention is certainly less costly than the alternative.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Blasterdad
16 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

Just installed the newly rebuilt 16hp K-341 from richmondred. 2 hours of mowing followed by an oil change. I’ve owned a lot of nice Wheel Horses over the years….but this is my favorite. I keep wrestling on restoring or keeping it the way it is.

I see you've turned her into a "Super C81".

Is that a whole 520 frame or just the front axle & pedals? More pics & details PLEASE!!! :popcorn:

• Like 1

wh5208speed
9 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

I see you've turned her into a "Super C81".

Is that a whole 520 frame or just the front axle & pedals? More pics & details PLEASE!!! :popcorn:

My goal was to make a Super C-161-8. I've always loved the look and simplicity of the 78-79 C-Series, but liked some of the features on the newer models. My intent was to make it look like factory. Except from adding two additional holes in the frame for the gear reduction housing (normally has 2), everything was just a bolt on. I intended to do a full-scale restoration on it once I broke the engine in, but I kind of like it the way it is. I have 2 other Super C-161-8 Speeds that I have plans to restore.....so I may just keep this one the way it is. I also have a factory electric lift, but I just don't think I want to put it on this tractor. I've owned some really nice Wheel Horses over the years, but this is easily my favorite. Not sure what other photos you would like, but here is a few I took before it started raining. 

Here is where the parts are from:

• 78-79 C-81 (Perfectly straight Sheet Metal)
  • 16hp Kohler with solid oil pan (like better than the shaker plate) that I had richmondred01 rebuild this spring.
  • 416-8 Frame & 8 Speed
  • 96-97 314 (Brake & Clutch pedals, steering wheel
  • 520-H (gear reduction steering, front axle, tires/rims/, bell crank, which avoids hitting the gear reduction steering, gas tank w/ gauge)

6E703DE0-E884-4CA2-8E2B-5A0B2A5A1888.jpeg

FE976203-2272-4C61-8606-3D4E41B7D2CF.jpeg

78245C09-DFCC-44E5-A1AC-CA8F9C7F5108.jpeg

AE930C0E-6D77-4468-BB20-5BA7F20DF7E8.jpeg

FF47AC6A-4643-4A47-96B2-2CC924A77D27.jpeg

Edited by wh5208speed
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Blasterdad
5 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

My goal was to make a Super C-161-8. I've always loved the look and simplicity of the 78-79 C-Series, but liked some of the features on the newer models. My intent was to make it look like factory. Except from adding two additional holes in the frame for the gear reduction housing (normally has 2), everything was just a bolt on.

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to know. I recently picked up a 520 H with a torched motor, with the intention of doing the same thing.

I wasn't 100% sure how much would be just bolt on but now I know! Thank you! Awesome Job!

Looking forward to adding a Super C to my stables too. :thumbs::)

• Like 2

kpinnc
10 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

My goal was to make a Super C-161-8

That's a fantastic machine! The looks of a "C" with the guts and modern touch of a 500 series! 

Very nice! :thumbs:

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
On 8/21/2022 at 1:12 AM, ebinmaine said:

Get after it with some good ole fashioned elbow power, wet sand with various grits,  and the right polish.  

You'll be in for a huge surprise how much that'll shine up. 

I noticed using some compound on a buffing machine makes that paint pop in no time, then finish of with some fine polish.

Personally sanded trough the paint once, so I try to avoid wet sanding 

Like this paint, that will come right back.

11 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

6E703DE0-E884-4CA2-8E2B-5A0B2A5A1888.jpeg

makes that paint pop in no time

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
On 8/13/2022 at 4:22 PM, 8ntruck said:

I got the deck drive belt size (99 inches) figured out the day after I took the picture

:confusion-shrug:                     I was thinkin you was runnin one of them new fangled invisible belts!             :ychain:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-shrug:                     I was thinkin you was runnin one of them new fangled invisible belts!             :ychain:

I've heard of those but never seen one......

:hide:

• Haha 1

953 nut
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've heard of those but never seen one......

:hide:

image.png.b6c57b0b8d2dad0575bfef7bc818efbf.png

• Haha 1

TonyToro Jr.

Here is my B-80 that me and @TonyToro mostly finished building today for the pull tomorrow it’s a kohler CH20 that’s got some work done. We’re guessing it has about 60hp?? (And if you hear a weird noise like something rubbing or something it is  a head gasket leak.)

3912BA9D-23C9-4F81-9CEB-AC33715B9D85.jpeg

• Excellent 8
  • Heart 1

mhlmeader

Currently working on blue dragon trying to get it rolling again, also painting it red, so it will be red dragon 2: return of red dragon!!spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Blasterdad
7 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

return of red dragon!!

It rubs the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again... :hilarious:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

D_Mac

Before and afters of the 500 Special and the 856. Bought them from a gentleman who left them in the woods for decades. After I completed the 500 Special I texted him to show him how I kept my word that I would get them running and looking good again. He then asked if he could borrow it because he had some dirt he needed pushing......ummmm no. Was maybe a year later I texted the photo of the 856 / Forsaken finished. He was pleased that they were given a second chance in life. I have since sold the 500 Special and the 856 proudly sits in my garage. I remember when he walked me out to see them. Weeds / trees growing through them. Even growing out of the seats. My first thoughts were  what have I got myself into. We had to drag them out of the weeds with his truck. The 856's rims fell apart from being buried in the dirt. Ughhh. What have I done. Well onto the trailer they went and I brought them home. The 856 sat in my yard for a year as yard art. The 500 I got to work on pretty quick. Came out nice. A guy came around to buy a Lawn Ranger I had for sale and made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the Ranger and the 500. Off they went. Since I now had room in the gargage.... in from being outside for the last 20 plus years came the 856. Few months later it was running and driving again. Rolled in as a crusty, rusted, needing a lot of love 856. Rolled out as "Forsaken". As long as I own it it will get all the love it deserves. Runs perfect. Shifts and steers perfect. It's looks arnt for everyone but it's story you have to admire. 

Screenshot_20210804-091001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-212634_Chrome.jpg

20220825_104555.jpg

20210803_134018.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

Andy N.

IMG_1829.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1