c-series don

Oil leak help?

c-series don

I have a C-161 8 speed that appears to be leaking at the break drum shaft. Can I change the seal from the outside or is this something that needs to be done internally? I don’t recall it leaking and when I put it up on my roll around table to mount my ez Rake I noticed it. It’s not terrible but while I have it up there I’d like to address the problem. The oil you see has taken about a week or so to drip that much. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me 👍 

6FA7E600-E50B-4A6A-83B5-60966532B982.jpeg

932C2690-A4CF-4CBE-A4B3-E9BDCF3EB45E.jpeg

467EF824-C3A5-4160-8ACE-8B3A92FD6081.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Remove the 3/8" bolt holding the drum on.  It should slide off pretty easy if it has leaked for awhile. Can be done from outside. Dig out the seal with a pick. screw driver or put a small screw into it an pull that. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

Yes, you can change that seal from the outside,  good luck getting that brake drum off. The one on my 854 was a bear to remove. 

stevasaurus

The brake shaft seal is SKF-#7410...it is only 1/8" deep, so don't dig too deep.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

With it leaking that bad I think you need to replace thr bearings on that shaft before  putting in a new seal.  I have a C=120 that has been leaking for at least 4 or 5 years and never enough to drop on the floor.

Edited by Lee1977

c-series don

Thank you everyone for your help. I’ll try just the seal before I get into the bearing. The seal alone can’t be that much money and hopefully an easy fix. I’ll post some pictures when I get into it. You guys are the best 👍👍

• Like 3

lynnmor
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

It’s not terrible but while I have it up there I’d like to address the problem.

No, that is terrible, it is peeing like a race horse.

• Haha 1

troutbum70

Like others said good luck getting drum off, made out of cast and easily broken. Don't ask how I know

• Like 1

c-series don

I ordered the seal, it will be here on Tuesday. In the meantime I’ll keep soaking it with Kroil and tapping it lightly. 

The Tuul Crib
19 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

The brake shaft seal is SKF-#7410...it is only 1/8" deep, so don't dig too deep.  :orcs-cheers:

:text-yeahthat:

The Tuul Crib

When you get that drum off check the shaft to see if there's any play up and down or forward or backward. in and out is OK. But if there's movement up-and-down on the shaft could be a bearing problem as well.

c-series don

The seal came in yesterday (National Seal #312518) The brake drum slid right off luckily! The old seal came out relatively easy, I checked for play in the shaft and there’s none. Installed the new seal and topped off the transmission oil. Reassembled everything and no more leak!👍Thanks again for those who chimed in to help.

BDFA410A-C447-4E73-8EBF-AAB9569C0F39.jpeg

C87FB7C3-70F9-4DD3-B9B0-8252A9351EBB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

That is one fine lookin tractor & setup there Mr. Oliver :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

c-series don

Thank you very much! The tractor I restored a number of years ago and the EZ RAKE I just restored over the winter. Now that the leak is fixed and the tractor is serviced I can’t wait to go use it! 

• Like 2

peter lena

terrific response to c-series don question / problem , from seal # and type to  don  getting after it !  i also agree with the condition of your horse , nice job !  glad you found your help here , pete

• Like 1

troutbum70

You or some one else must have had that drum off a couple times and put some anti rust on or you are just blessed with good luck. And as others have already said its a very good looking horse.

• Like 1

c-series don

Honestly I think that the oil leaking onto the shaft helped it from being seized on the shaft. 

WHX??

I guess I can't relate to why you guys are sayin that drum comes off hard? Mine ALWAYS slide right off. 'Course mine are all pre 70s tractors with the snap ring so thats all I know. Thinking the the oil leaks keep them lubed? Always crudded  up with crap behind them. Given the low RPM those turn wouldn't guess you have a bearing problem unless a PO was hard on the brakes or liked his women like his tranny fluid... a little on the trashy side! :lol: Thanks Don now I got that song stuck in my head! 

• Haha 1