RetroMower

Steering wheel removal plan R

RetroMower

My efforts removing the steering wheel from my C100 have proven fruitless. After soaking the area in PB blaster for many days while under pressure from a puller and bearing separator I am unable to budge the bugger off the shaft. I know a hydraulic press would most likely solve this but right now I'm not keen on spending much more on this restoration. That said I still want to get it apart to sandblast and paint the dash correctly. I made this item the other day and yes its if I decide to cut the shaft but I figure I'd get some opinions before doing this. 

20200320_162309.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

We've done 2 full restorations and didn't remove the steering wheel from either one.

Trina just sands/paints around the wheel and "bags" it when priming and painting.

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

I've resorted to cutting the shaft on a couple  and reassembled with a similar shaft connector.    I feel this is a better option than risking damage to a steering wheel.

• Like 6

RetroMower

Well that's one vote to leave it and one for cutting it. I'd be much more reluctant to cut it but it's not an irreversible solution. I think even with a press that I could mushroom the shaft over or crack the otherwise ok steering wheel. 

rjg854

I've been lucky enough on most of my tractors to be able to get the steering wheels off, except for the 877.  When I repainted I ended up just leaving it in place then dropping the collar down and painting the cowl.  Came out fine, I didn't want to have to cut the shaft.

• Like 2

squonk

I have cut a shaft to raise the steering wheel so it doesn't hit the hood when opening. welded a 3" extension in it. Do what you gotta do. 

pfrederi

Pull the steering wheel shaft and instrument panel as a unit  Then you can clamp it in a  vice support the shaft next to the wheel and drive out even recalcitrant roll pins.  Then use emery cloth to clean the shaft 2-3" below the wheel. Now stand the whole unit up in your vice with the Gear end down against the vice body.  Climb up on a step stool with a deep wheel socket that will fit over the shaft yet rest on the steering wheel hub. Then wail away with a BFH and drive the wheel down on to the cleaned up portion of the shaft.  Then clean up the end of the shaft and you can slide the wheel off. done this on several stuck wheels. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

RetroMower
5 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Pull the steering wheel shaft and instrument panel as a unit  Then you can clamp it in a  vice support the shaft next to the wheel and drive out even recalcitrant roll pins.  Then use emery cloth to clean the shaft 2-3" below the wheel. Now stand the whole unit up in your vice with the Gear end down against the vice body.  Climb up on a step stool with a deep wheel socket that will fit over the shaft yet rest on the steering wheel hub. Then wail away with a BFH and drive the wheel down on to the cleaned up portion of the shaft.  Then clean up the end of the shaft and you can slide the wheel off. done this on several stuck wheels. 

I think I will give this a try before cutting the shaft. Thank you for a great suggestion. I don't know why I haven't thought of this 🤣

pfrederi
1 hour ago, RetroMower said:

I think I will give this a try before cutting the shaft. Thank you for a great suggestion. I don't know why I haven't thought of this 🤣

IMG_0207.JPG

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

edgro

When I cut mine.

, I cut it at an angle, so it would self align, I put a sleeve over it and welded it back together

• Excellent 2

RetroMower
On 3/21/2020 at 4:02 PM, pfrederi said:

IMG_0207.JPG

As far as I'm concerned there is no other way to remove a stuck WH steering wheel. Thank you thank you thank you 1000 times. :greetings-clappingyellow::bow-blue:This made an otherwise daunting task easy as pie. My restoration can now continue. Anyone wanna buy my shaft coupler I made? Lol

20200323_172954.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3