Ed Kennell

Tractor for the Birds

pfrederi

I had read about facing East and that is how I have all my BB houses... Some go empty some have other tenants....

Ed Kennell

I also have read the opening should face East or South so as not to face summer storms,  but Cas's is the first scientific controlled survey I have ever seen to prove the theory.  :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

formariz
49 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I also have read the opening should face East or South so as not to face summer storms,  but Cas's is the first scientific controlled survey I have ever seen to prove the theory.  :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

I don't know about "scientific".  Its just happens that the majority is in reality placed that way so we can see openings from the house. My wife demands it. Perhaps she knows stuff i don't. I just seem to be having more and more free time in my hands.

• Heart 1

formariz

So I have been successful in attacking bluebirds to the houses I made, however none have found the worms in new feeders yet even though they are right close to nests. Any advice? I know restaurants are only allowed take out orders perhaps they are thinking the same and don’t want to eat in ?

WHX??
9 hours ago, formariz said:

So I have been successful in attacking bluebirds to the houses I made,

Little typo or spell check issue ther Cas?!? :)

• Haha 3

formariz
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Little typo or spell check issue ther Cas?!? :)

No wonder they are not eating here. Not a very gracious host. 

• Haha 4

pfrederi
13 hours ago, formariz said:

So I have been successful in attacking bluebirds to the houses I made, however none have found the worms in new feeders yet even though they are right close to nests. Any advice? I know restaurants are only allowed take out orders perhaps they are thinking the same and don’t want to eat in ?

My Bluebirds are picky eaters.  When the weather is decent they eat the live ones i feed and leave the dried ones.  Days like today cold and snow flurries they eat the dried ones also:P

You might temporarily attach a shelf and put some worms on it to attract them...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

formariz
26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

You might temporarily attach a shelf and put some worms on it to attract them.

Good idea. It will be like the take out section.

formariz

Ok so now they have a fly-through window so they don’t have to eat in.

BD1E3C3F-0328-4F16-A2FE-D46A6F988571.jpeg.b31f4a5fddc14e6041d733914599ca80.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

I put up a few more boxes yesterday.      It looks like the corner lot is the choice location.      One on the box and three more perched in the trees.

102_1652.JPG.f6d5bed7634615d475c95719c757e5e9.JPG102_1653.JPG.2f0cd3d8c8fb600a8f412e82a9823b10.JPG102_1654.JPG.c7eb17b1bb9b9e10eb2d3d1d458c8755.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Well, a pair of BBs built a nest in the upper box...I wasn't quick enough to get them in the pic.

102_1665.JPG.97ef5cb94be34dcf5e834592b46c36f5.JPG

The lower corner lot box is still empty.

102_1658.JPG.a5ee2a62bcfb3a868651f3b7fab96627.JPG

While watching my neighbor work up the field, this pair of Tree Swallows tried to get in a wren box.  I think the 1" hole is too small.    While they were at the box, they were attacked by a sparrow that  has a nest nearby in the wash line pole.       The sparrow lost the fight.  The swallow had the sparrow down in the grass and he came out of the fight with a few less feather.

102_1662.JPG.4eb969cd07661d15f3b0bfe43d395624.JPG102_1663.JPG.c48d18d00347ef59fd8d98cbb6f7a7b9.JPG102_1659.JPG.d6948717b651c62f852757d31459cd93.JPG102_1661.JPG.a38a47c6554945d65bd601937bdc58a6.JPG

• Like 3

formariz

Precious view you have from your place Ed.

It seems to me that they like the nests next to the edge of a wooded area the way you have these new ones. I seem to also have predictable success with the ones like that.

• Like 1

pfrederi

If you bribe them they will move in just about anywhere.  Sort of like Mom tying a pork chop around your neck so the dog would play with you :P

The pair I feed greet me every morning I can get within a few feet of them now.  I think I have 4 pair but most are in far out houses and are not allowed in the feeder.   have 5 or so pair of tree swallows.  The are so neat to watch true aerialists.

IMG_20200514_071714.jpg

IMG_20200514_071749.jpg

• Like 1

formariz
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

If you bribe them they will move in just about anywhere

I must be the lucky guy then that got stuck with the honest ones since they still have not accepted my generous bribe of worms served on a spanking new facility.:(

• Sad 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

have 5 or so pair of tree swallows.  The are so neat to watch true aerialists.

They really are a beautiful bird Paul.    In flight or just sitting on a swaying wash line.    I was really surprised how easily they handled the invading sparrow.

I would definitely like to get them to nest in a box.      What size and  shape opening  do you have in your swallow boxes.    I see horizontal rectangles .ovals and vertical ovals when I search swallow boxes.

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

They really are a beautiful bird Paul.    In flight or just sitting on a swaying wash line.    I was really surprised how easily they handled the invading sparrow.

I would definitely like to get them to nest in a box.      What size and  shape opening  do you have in your swallow boxes.    I see horizontal rectangles .ovals and vertical ovals when I search swallow boxes.

They use the blue bird boxes...Some have vertical oval holes some round 1-3/8

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

This pair of Tree Swallows watched this box for several days but never went in apparently due to a large Sparrow that was also claiming the box.

This morning I dispatched the Sparrow and within 1 hour the Swallows started building a nest in the box.  Go figger.

102_1687.JPG.ec5d4aebbb9c6136eede2357a3cdbd3c.JPG102_1692.JPG.cee40158542b177d36540f5301b56147.JPG

• Like 3

formariz

@Ed KennellI see you obstructed opening in pole’s end. Where they nesting in there?

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, formariz said:

Where they nesting in there?

Yes, the sparrows nest any place they find a hole or crevice.     I find many nests in my firewood as I use it in the winter.   It makes great duff for starting fires.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Mom and Dad Bluebird made runs from the feeder to the hedgerow and power wires this morning.  Can't tell how many fledglings there are yet.  In a few days they will bring them to the feeder.  Takes a few more days before the young will actually get in the feeder.  They do grow up quickly.  Based on previous years in a month or so Mom and Dad will have round 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Put in this little bubble bird bath over the weekend and boy is it a hit with the birds... No Blue Birds yet but everything else!  This is the second one I've put in and they both get a lot of bird action. Have avoided feeders due to the already over-fed squirrel population...

Just curious - Are Blue Birds generally attracted to bird baths?

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

• Like 1

pfrederi

Blue birds love to take splashy baths....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Mom and Dad are bringing the young to the feeder.  The young still do not go inside it.  Can't get as close  to them while on the feeder now.  Mom and Dad are protective...

IMG_20200529_072809 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

tom2p

no bird feeders for us 

like the birds - but bird feeders turn our place into a Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom episode - and those are not always positive 

bird seeds attract the birds - and other varmints ... rodents ... and that attracts the snakes 

Ed Kennell
6 minutes ago, tom2p said:

bird seeds attract the birds - and other varmints …

And some of those varmints weigh  4-500 lbs.102_0968.JPG.71a2b6c9c23bcb8356610cd2465acb3b.JPG

• Haha 2