Ed Kennell

Tractor for the Birds

Pullstart

We’re working on shingles now out of the shop’s pop can bin!

this sucker is heavy!

719DB58E-21ED-4C6E-9D83-DDE36044A757.jpeg

B6E39932-CCFE-4583-81EF-B983C81D2B9E.jpeg

6C5FE05D-1768-4A26-9096-57503A1139A2.jpeg

782B77B3-68AA-436C-B3E7-067AE05660FA.jpeg

• Excellent 6
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool!

Lucky kid...

Lucky Dad...

Maybe send Monster a copy of that last pic... might “sponsor” your houses! :thumbs:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

The bird house is hung!

The field is still very wet!

BB915D15-3ABA-4EEA-92FA-26089F7B5296.jpeg

CCA37EDB-888B-4C1E-B091-E2ABF554695E.jpeg

1F7D593D-BF58-4310-B870-B1170522BF25.jpeg

23F78A51-5180-4FAF-B651-098693794DD7.jpeg

791A1EF6-B0CE-40FC-9D3F-407A7868CA0E.jpeg

• Excellent 5
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

Rylee’s a clown.  Not sure where she gets that from.  She wanted to take a video of us hanging the bird house!

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 5

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool video! She’s a natural!

So... you should send the video off to our friends at MIOSHA as a great example following all manufacturers recommendations for the safe and proper use of a FEL...!!! :ychain:

I gotta get me one of them...does it do dishes too?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Very cool video! She’s a natural!

So... you should send the video off to our friends at MIOSHA as a great example following all manufacturers recommendations for the safe and proper use of a FEL...!!! :ychain:

I gotta get me one of them...does it do dishes too?

Yep.  Slip one under that weighted, chained tire and it comes out all fresh and fieldy!  Try hard enough and it’ll pop radishes and turnips onto the plate too!

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Now that FEL is   A Tractor for the Birds.  

That's one heavy duty box that should last forever.   Great job on the build and the video Rylee.

Thanks for sharing the experience. 

You putting a trail cam on the box to document the  bluebird activity?

A few nest building pics would be nice in the project report.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Now that FEL is   A Tractor for the Birds.  

That's one heavy duty box that should last forever.   Great job on the build and the video Rylee.

Thanks for sharing the experience. 

You putting a trail cam on the box to document the  bluebird activity?

A few nest building pics would be nice in the project report.

Trail cam pics sure would be cool for the report, you’re right!

The “loaner” cam that my buddy insisted I stick in the food plot will catch a deer in the act sometimes, once in a while our cat...  I doubt it’s quick enough to catch a tiny bird...

The FEL, I couldn’t be happier with!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Great thread and cool project to do with Rylee and Jada👍🏻  Also awesome to see how you were able to incorporate the new loader tractor in the process.  You’ll have to keep us updated on the bird dwelling situation...

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

Will do Josh!  We were going to drag a ladder out, but I thought of the topic of this post.  It’s a tractor and bird house thread :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Not to go off topic here but bluebird houses are not normally put in trees.  Makes it to easy for predators.  I have 19 or 20 houses   I screwed metal fence post to wooden ones The metal post addition provided some predator blocking.  Also the house should face east.

A bluebird house should be mounted on a pole or post roughly 4 to 6 feet/1.2 to 1.8 meters above the ground in a relatively open area, with the entrance facing a large tree or shrub 25 to 100 feet/7.6 to 30.4 meters away.

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Not to go off topic here but bluebird houses are not normally put in trees.  Makes it to easy for predators.  I have 19 or 20 houses   I screwed metal fence post to wooden ones The metal post addition provided some predator blocking.  Also the house should face east.

A bluebird house should be mounted on a pole or post roughly 4 to 6 feet/1.2 to 1.8 meters above the ground in a relatively open area, with the entrance facing a large tree or shrub 25 to 100 feet/7.6 to 30.4 meters away.

Thank you for the information Paul!  We will watch to see if there is any activity in the house and move it if needed.

Ed Kennell
22 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Good points Paul.   

I had one box with eggs that was invaded by a blacksnake.   The box was on a metal pole close to the barn. 

I insulated the pole and installed two foot long  + &-  110VAC hot wires  vertically on the pole.   I haven't seen the snake since.

• Like 1

formariz
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Good points Paul.   

I had one box with eggs that was invaded by a blacksnake.   The box was on a metal pole close to the barn. 

I insulated the pole and installed two foot long  + &-  110VAC hot wires  vertically on the pole.   I haven't seen the snake since.

We are of course talking about bluebirds which I actually never seen one here and I am eager to attract some. I do have lots of blue jays which are very aggressive birds when defending nest. I actually have seen a couple "dive attack" one of the cats. Pretty distinctive alarm sounds when cat is around.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Agree Cas,  the Jays can be very aggressive.      Good luck with the blue birds.    Paul @pfrederi has a lot of experience and good advice on attracting the Blues.

The Tuul Crib
17 hours ago, pullstart said:

Rylee’s a clown.  Not sure where she gets that from.  She wanted to take a video of us hanging the bird house!

Did she say fart knockers?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

formariz

Placed the rest of birdhouses today. Next batch will be for the Bluebirds along with feeders.

F02061F9-CC93-4DB9-89E1-CA95557352EC.jpeg.413e8b540218351d4097ba464b723aaf.jpeg

• Excellent 3

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Did she say fart knockers?!

Kids....  what do you do...   :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 3

dells68
Just now, pullstart said:

Kids....  what do you do...   :laughing-rofl:

I knew Emory really liked those girls for more than just their good looks (sorry Kev, Taylor gets credit for that!)!  That’s something he would say!!!!:ROTF:

• Haha 1

Pullstart
22 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I knew Emory really liked those girls for more than just their good looks (sorry Kev, Taylor gets credit for that!)!  That’s something he would say!!!!:ROTF:

Now we’re really getting off topic... but really - I’m glad they got their mom’s looks!  Hairy little girls...  well...  nuff said...

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell

I've had this male bluebird perching on the shed for the past few days apparently looking for a mate.

So, today I threw up another box and feeder hoping he will move in before the sparrows take over.

Also hung a "bee house". I need bees to pollinate my blossoming plum and pear trees.

102_1525.JPG.b2f6239a9e63877b23f7c477a2c8c707.JPG102_1524.JPG.0402c1d4d3b5941fd135919420ae8ef1.JPG102_1526.JPG.7d9223616f4e930aef978482058f814c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Never seen a Bee House!

Nice!

• Like 1

formariz

I was looking at those and wonder if they would attract also yellow jackets ? Don’t want that. Or is it they are not the right environment for yellow jackets?

Ed Kennell

Not sure what insects it may attract Cas.    I never had a bee house, so I don't know what to expect.   This was given to me as a Christmas gift last year.

After looking at the close up picture, I noticed the roof is pulling apart.  It was fastened together with headless brads that offered no resistance to the wood warping.

I just finished adding wood screws to all sides and rehung it on the shed.   There were some ants in the tubes, but no bees yet.    If you purchase one, I am sure you will rebuild it correctly and add a copper roof.

• Like 1

Pullstart

We had a bee house like that next to the garden at the old place.  I never saw any influx in wasps or yellow jackets around the area, just friendly bees.  If you ask my wife and kids, there’s no such thing as a friendly bee...

We’ll have to get outside to check our new bird house for visitors today!

• Thanks 2