JoeM

Eaton 7 Oil Change

JoeM

Started to service my daughters WH and found a bunch of gunk in the Eaton 7 hydro reservoir. Looks like it got some water. I never changed that oil just checked it and added if necessary. Surfed around a bit looking for info and really came up dry on the how to part. I did find there are two ports on the unit, one on the top to fill and one on the bottom, drain. Getting to the drain plug was a challenge. Ended up making a special wrench to loosen the plug. Being an o-ring plug, one quarter turn and I could work it out with my fingers. Probably could have ticked it with a chisel and could have forgone the wrench build. 1600 plus hours the machine, I never changed the oil and the pictures speak to that fact. I did a kero flush then a oil flush. filled with 10w-30. Seems to run okay. 

Oh....the wrench is a 11/16 socket cut off and welded to a piece of strap steel contoured to snake up in the frame.   

Just something to read!

Side note. When I looked into the reservoir, the oil looked okay ish, but a little off color. It wasn't until I stuck my finger in the oil that I was aware of the gunk. The moisture issue is strange because the machine is kept in a garage and never sees rain. I know it is not washed either. My best guess it is drawing in moisture over the years from the hot cold cycles???

I would say the only thing that kept it going is the emulsifiers in the oil. 

hydro reservoir fluid.

IMG_3757.JPG.1af5523b02ce92fb470ff023de0d5fe4.JPG

wrench

IMG_3761.JPG.688ff0efb088671b885b7d7758d4c6bb.JPG

Lower drain plug location.

IMG_3758.JPG.4f1ca6379dcd18cf9e375f4221153b44.JPGIMG_3759.JPG.f87179bebd491e2d2d78b5c012342ff6.JPG

Nasty fluid drain.

IMG_3760.JPG.bed67d15110bf55c531773211ba13bdc.JPG

Edited by TractorJunkie
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Yo dude.. I'm thinkin you pulled a wrong plug here.... drain should have been a 1/4 allen  on the very bottom?? What tractor we wrenchin on here?? Water in there fer sure and if you don't keep yer daughters horses in better shape than this we may have to waterboard you!:ychain: 

• Excellent 1

JoeM
2 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

if you don't keep yer daughters horses in better shape

:hide:

Bad part about it if hers goes down she comes and uses my stuff!

Eaton 7 Hydro and rear trans axle are separate units. That plug would get pulled on an 11.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

The 7 Eatons use motor oil in the hydro and 90 gear lube in the transaxle.

Garry

• Excellent 1