pfrederi

GT-14 Tow valve access

pfrederi

The Wheel Horse designer who figured out the placement of the hydro pump on a D-series must have spent time on the GT-14 also.. specifically the location of and access to the tow valve especially when you have the 3 point hitch.  I am getting ready to get my hole saw and drill a big hole in the inner fender plate (black x pic 2).  Has anyone come up with a good solution???

InkedIMG_0028_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_0029_LI.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

One of many things on the GT-14 that wasn't thoroughly thought through.    :angry-tappingfoot:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

Is there anything structural to that section?  If not, I say go for it!  

gt14rider

I ended up removing rear fender ass'y, (8 or 10 bolts and nuts). I got big fat hands and was easier and less time . Plus that valve was rusted and painted tight, took a big box wrench and hammer. Be careful, fine threads don't want to strip them out

IMG_20190217_174851645.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

My tow valve works just fine I had the whole hydro apart.  issue is i want to be able to use the darn thing sometimes I want to be able to push the tractor a couple feet and do not want to start it for just a couple  seconds use and I can't get my fat fingers in there.

• Like 2

gt14rider

Now I'm tracking,  you can make a tool.1/2" pipe cut a slot in one end , drill a hole in the other, put a cross bar. This way the hole in the fender can be small. Here you go, just made one for mine.

20200316_110553.jpg

20200316_110615.jpg

20200316_110633.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

Great idea.  i was going bigger this will be much better....

19richie66

My gt14 had these oval holes in the lower panel by the side of the seat. I was wondering what those were for. ?

B228D2D2-41DF-4840-90B1-C6D7B2CD359A.png

• Like 2

pfrederi
20 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

My gt14 had these oval holes in the lower panel by the side of the seat. I was wondering what those were for. ?

AHA!!  Mine is a 1969 I would imagine WH got complaints from dealers about this and they made changes.....Do you know the year of yours???

• Like 1

oldredrider

FWIW, mine is a 1970 and doesn't have the holes. 3 pt hitch on mine.

Aldon

That wrench by @gt14rider is great idea. Another project added to my to-do list.

19richie66
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

AHA!!  Mine is a 1969 I would imagine WH got complaints from dealers about this and they made changes.....Do you know the year of yours???

1972. I like the wrench idea better than holes

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

gt14rider

Had to check out mine, oval hole on one side only 1970. Same,same on 1971. I couldn't in that oval, fat fingers. used long needle pliers before rebuild. 

20200316_155734.jpg

pfrederi

Made a tool like GT14riders.  Had to make a somewhat bigger hole than I wanted as my tow valve sits under the heavy steel bar support.  Have to insert the tool at an angle which required me to enlarge the access hole but it works great. 

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1