cschannuth

Fun and Trouble w/C-161

cschannuth
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Craig try one of these ... https://www.harborfreight.com/Bolt-Type-Wheel-Puller-Set-62620.html. I have had similar el cheapos and they have stood up to some very stubborn harmonic crankshaft balancers then you'll have an extra tool in your Arsenal for other jobs as well... I hope you would believe an ole hillbilly? 

Absolutely!

• Thanks 1

Howie

I have pulled the starters on the opposed twin briggs without removing the flywheel. At least on a vertical,

not sure if the horiziontal is the same. There is a spot on the underside of the flywheel that is a void so to 

speak. I would turn the flywheel until it was over the bolts. Had to use an open end wrench to loosen bolt.

Have to leave it in the starter and pull starter out. I think one you can get to easier and the other is under

the flywheel.  MAy not work on yours though.

• Like 1

cschannuth
11 hours ago, Howie said:

I have pulled the starters on the opposed twin briggs without removing the flywheel. At least on a vertical,

not sure if the horiziontal is the same. There is a spot on the underside of the flywheel that is a void so to 

speak. I would turn the flywheel until it was over the bolts. Had to use an open end wrench to loosen bolt.

Have to leave it in the starter and pull starter out. I think one you can get to easier and the other is under

the flywheel.  MAy not work on yours though.

I’ll check it out when I’m home later. Thanks.I’ll check it out when I’m home later. Thanks.

cschannuth

Success!. With tons of help from everybody on this thread I was able to find the correct starter, remove the fly wheel, install the new starter, and get it all buttoned back up. Thanks to everyone!

Here’s the proof that it starts again. This thing has always started really well but now it starts as soon as you hit the key. That old starter’s been slipping for quite some time.

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Can't watch the video but it's super cool you got that thing up and running again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cschannuth
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Can't watch the video but it's super cool you got that thing up and running again.

Dang it...

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Dang it...

Oh no worries. It probably works fine. I just can't download anything on to my incredibly intelligent phone.

• Haha 2

cschannuth
On 3/13/2020 at 9:19 PM, pullstart said:

I am of no help, but is that a steel fender pan on there?  Looks tough!

You were lots of help, by the way...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

You were lots of help, by the way...

Who’da thunk?  Glad to know it worked out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Sounds pretty nice,

all thumbs up

• Thanks 1

peter lena

that puller or one like it should easily move that flywheel , LUBRICATE  ALL THREADED HOLES , AND ESPECIALLY THE CRANKSHAFT CENTER PUSH POINT. THAT TIGHT FITTING PULLER , GIVES YOU GREAT MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE.   you should not tear up anything , just a solid smooth removal pull off the crank .  pete

• Thanks 1