driver903

My 854

driver903

I moved my 854 recently moved fine went to return to shed it will not go into reverse in fact the gearbox will not go into any gear in the original position but there is still one forward gear where neutral should be am I looking a linkage issue or major gearbox damage 

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, driver903 said:

I moved my 854 recently moved fine went to return to shed it will not go into reverse in fact the gearbox will not go into any gear in the original position but there is still one forward gear where neutral should be am I looking a linkage issue or major gearbox damage 

:text-welcomewave:

Often times if you shift gears quickly the shift forks get stuck in two gears.  If you loosen the jam nut on the front of the shifter under the shift boot, you should be able to back out the set screw and check that the forks are located correctly.  It should make a square with the two forks centered in the shifter hole.  If the square is offset, use a big screwdriver to pry them back to center one by one.  Re-install the shifter and try your luck again... this time giving neutral a second before shifting to another gear.

• Like 3

driver903

I will try that.  Thanks 

Achto

:WRS: Looks like pullstart has you pointed in the right direction. The jamb nut & set screw can be a little pit of a bear to get to on an 854, they didn't leave you much room to get at it through the hole in the sheet metal for the shifter. It can be done with out tearing the tractor apart though. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Also... Be sure to shift ONLY when at a standstill.

pfrederi

Use a big screw driver to pry the forks into position (yellow arrows)

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0264_LI.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

One more thing when does this 

do not force it ! This can cause 

damage to the forks!

:text-welcomeconfetti:TO:rs:

:wwp:

• Like 1

Jennifer

Welcome to Redsquare!!  Where there’s a helpful smile in every 🤔 post!!  Lol. image.jpeg.ea04e650dc2b0842555d0bbe4f444e1c.jpeg

WHX??

Sounds like the guys got you pointed in the right direction so I'll just :WRS:

Pullstart

@driver903 if that is what happened, it’s because on the older unidrive transmissions the shift forks slide in and out of blind holes.  Thick or cold gear oil creates a suction in those holes, so you shift out of gear quickly and it pulls that shift rail back past the detent but allows you to use the shifter for the other rail.  Later model shift forks have a longer detent pin and deeper detent slots to prevent both forks from moving at the same time, along with a flat ground on the rail itself to break the suction.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Geez Kev that was pretty good... you are learning something here! :ychain:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Geez Kev that was pretty good... you are learning something here! :ychain:

Just cuz I ain’t runnin’ my mouth don’t mean I don’t know stuff.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Sorry Driver, we happen to tangent off once in a while.  Squirrel!

• Haha 1

pfrederi
51 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@driver903 if that is what happened, it’s because on the older unidrive transmissions the shift forks slide in and out of blind holes.  Thick or cold gear oil creates a suction in those holes, so you shift out of gear quickly and it pulls that shift rail back past the detent but allows you to use the shifter for the other rail.  Later model shift forks have a longer detent pin and deeper detent slots to prevent both forks from moving at the same time, along with a flat ground on the rail itself to break the suction.  

Which I believe was why WH was specifying 40w motor oil for trannies back then.  less suction.  That has worked with out issue year around for 53 years on my Lawn Ranger...

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Also... Be sure to shift ONLY when at a standstill.

:text-yeahthat:   Listen to what Eric says Driver.

Having said that,  all old gear jammers know, you don't  need synchronizers or even a clutch if you learn how to match the trannies  input and output RPM.

Maybe I'll demo a  2H to 3H  shift @ 20MPH  with the "low Rider" at the SHOW.

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:   Listen to what Eric says Driver.

Having said that,  all old gear jammers know, you don't  need synchronizers or even a clutch if you learn how to match the trannies  input and output RPM.

Maybe I'll demo a  2H to 3H  shift @ 20MPH  with the "low Rider" at the SHOW.

This here particular Gear Jammer wants to see video of that !!!

rjg854

There's little left to say other than :WRS:

troutbum70

I had basically the same issue on my 417 with the 8 speed a long time ago, my issue was the little pin that secures the ball to the shifter had come out allowing the shifter to become sloppy and sit to low and was moving the forks out of alignment. And I always got thousands of miles out of my clutch assembly's because they only got used for starting and stopping, I failed a driver road test exam with our insurance company because I had forgotten how to double clutch as required. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

I had forgotten how to double clutch as required

Oh wow.....

Ya know I can't even remember the last time I tried to double clutch....

Lucky for me we ONLY have to prove that one here in Maine at the CDL test.

troutbum70

Yep felt pretty stupid, but I had to take it with one of the company's trucks. I had never driven a computerized truck, totally different tranny and shift pattern. It was a totally different creature from what I had been driving everyday for the previous 35 years. 

• Like 1

driver903

I know what you mean I'm in a Automatic now I've been In a standard of one type or another till now

ebinmaine

Right there with you folks.

I've only had my CDL for not quite 18 years. I've been a switch seat driver in every company I've worked for so in that time I've driven somewhere around a hundred different trucks.

I've never tried a Mack 7-speed or anyting 15 speeds or higher but I've had my hands on everything else.

We got one of these newfangled Eaton Fuller totally automated 10 speed manual transmissions. Ultrashift. They call it.

Going down the road and doing most maneuvers that's a lovely transmission but backing out of a construction site going uphill in reverse is positively miserable. Clutch is set wrong. Gears are set wrong. Just disgusting. And that's coming from a guy who has a very positive mindset and willing to try most things about three times.

The company has now switched over to fully automatic Allison 6 speeds. Actual real life everyday automatic transmission with drive and reverse.

Makes me feel like less of a driver in some ways but boy am I ever spoiled!

• Like 1

troutbum70

Yes but as you grow older that automatic will be very nice. Just before I retired the company bought 10 new freightliners with that transmission, the men that got them hated them when backing up a decent grade and bumping a dock. They said it was a real challenge to avoid slamming the dock like a newbie.

ebinmaine
Just now, troutbum63 said:

Yes but as you grow older that automatic will be very nice. Just before I retired the company bought 10 new freightliners with that transmission, the men that got them hated them when backing up a decent grade and bumping a dock. They said it was a real challenge to avoid slamming the dock like a newbie.

Yes they're correct. I'm not at all fond of it and I don't ever dock this truck because it's a crane.

I'm definitely already spoiled with the automatic. No Way around It.

:-)

troutbum70

The only time's I wished I had an automatic was every time I found myself stuck in a stop and go traffic jam. By the way will there be a lot of fabrication needed for your tractor project?