Sparky

Truck tools....thoughts?

953 nut
14 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Got to flea markets and yard sales and buy the old tools , much better quality.

:text-yeahthat:       Price is right and better quality than any retail store has today.

• Like 1

bottjernat1

I have bought harbor freight tools never had an issue and i well use and abuse tools. The only thing i haven't liked is the cheapy screwdrivers in my 301 set i bought. I use my 301 piece set all the time it is my favorite set of tools. I like the fact everything is in there i need when i go to someone's house to work on there mower. Now saying all that i also own craftsman and snap on. But the snap on stuff was my late dads. My dad use to spend alot on snap on tools but in his later years he was just buying craftsman he was happy with them. Harbor freights icon brand is awesome. If you want quality but not paying the big bucks there you go. But if you want to buy american buy snap on. Here is the set i use the most https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-tool-set-301-pc-63464.html

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Put together a Rubber Maid tote of tools when I got my GMC Sonoma back in 1995.  Traveled with me until I gave the truck to my niece in 2016.  Never once used the tools.  Truck had it issues over time but nothing that needed to be fixed on the road.  Looking at its replacement 2016 Tacoma I doubt there is anything that will break that I could fix on the road.  I suppose the OBD reader may be a good idea but most of the issues it finds will be failed sensors.  How you going to get one of those and replace it on the side of the road???  Get AAA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

You know who I thought had some nice looking tools that were not expensive...Tractor Supply.  I put together a tool box of tools for my daughter for her truck a couple of years ago.  They really seemed like good quality, I almost bought some for myself...but I already have a tool box in every room, garage, vehicle and boat.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

82Caddy

I have one of those kits from Harbor Freight in my truck and I've never actually used it to work on the truck.  It always seems to come out at the cabin or someone else's house to repair something.  Granted, when we go on longer trips I actually put a trip specific tool kit together.

What I have found is that I have really started to like Tekton tools and they've started replacing my Pittsburgh and craftsman ratchets.  They have some really nice small kits that I have now in all my vehicles.  Why?  I don't know, I guess it makes me feel better or something.

• Like 2

tom2p
15 hours ago, ZXT said:

I own plenty of Craftsman wrenches and assorted sockets, but none that were made in my lifetime. All old stuff and they are good as well. I know their quality has declined in recent years, but I have hope for them yet. They're building a 425,000 sq foot facility right here in Fort Worth, TX, where they will be moving production of all craftsman tools to from China. Excellent to see that more and more companies are moving production back to this side of the world now. 

just great 

there goes the value of my Made in USA Craftsman professional and industrial stuff 

lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, 82Caddy said:

I have one of those kits from Harbor Freight in my truck and I've never actually used it to work on the truck.  It always seems to come out at the cabin or someone else's house to repair something.  Granted, when we go on longer trips I actually put a trip specific tool kit together.

What I have found is that I have really started to like Tekton tools and they've started replacing my Pittsburgh and craftsman ratchets.  They have some really nice small kits that I have now in all my vehicles.  Why?  I don't know, I guess it makes me feel better or something.

a few have recommended Tekton 

will need to check out 

tom2p
5 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

I have bought harbor freight tools never had an issue and i well use and abuse tools. The only thing i haven't liked is the cheapy screwdrivers in my 301 set i bought. I use my 301 piece set all the time it is my favorite set of tools. I like the fact everything is in there i need when i go to someone's house to work on there mower. Now saying all that i also own craftsman and snap on. But the snap on stuff was my late dads. My dad use to spend alot on snap on tools but in his later years he was just buying craftsman he was happy with them. Harbor freights icon brand is awesome. If you want quality but not paying the big bucks there you go. But if you want to buy american buy snap on. Here is the set i use the most https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-tool-set-301-pc-63464.html

screwdrivers not an area to cut corners - quality screwdrivers are a must 

even standard Craftsman made in USA screwdrivers are lacking - the original Craftsman professional models were much better ( black handle w / gold lettering )

and there are many other available quality screwdrivers 

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

Ratchet straps is a must...not sure if you consider it a tool but I have 15-20 in my toolbox. Also a 4 way wrench for tire lug nuts. 

squonk

Ok truck tools. I do have AAA so I'm not going to do much roadside svc. but between a sister in a house on a fixed income and a B-I-L with rental properties I am equipped to handle most emergencies. The bag I carry all the time is this. Home and Horse repairs.

IMG_1719.JPG.5782514a0114d63c217c5f7be20e137f.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG.23e52197a4e870bb12d8eb6a26b6713a.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG.fd6038995d1c0df92581bbc53c5e0f30.JPG

If I need to do electrical work this bag goes in,

IMG_1725.JPG.0202d19217fd009cdeb6bd180f66dc17.JPG

General home style repairs possible big project, toss this in the back

IMG_1730.JPG.565a772141a4bed15b759ce5ca840e9b.JPG

and every ones favorite type of repair, PLUNBING!!!!! 

IMG_E1726.thumb.JPG.2bd527e0365973550620ae7624a35a13.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Everyone’s favorite, so long as I don’t see your crack!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ZXT
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Put together a Rubber Maid tote of tools when I got my GMC Sonoma back in 1995.  Traveled with me until I gave the truck to my niece in 2016.  Never once used the tools.  Truck had it issues over time but nothing that needed to be fixed on the road.  Looking at its replacement 2016 Tacoma I doubt there is anything that will break that I could fix on the road.  I suppose the OBD reader may be a good idea but most of the issues it finds will be failed sensors.  How you going to get one of those and replace it on the side of the road???  Get AAA

I have a tool set in all of my road worthy cars. I also typically carry a water pump, starter and a lower radiator hose and sometimes an alternator. I've used the tools on the road numerous times (not necessarily on the car, but on other projects in general) but I've never had to install any of my hard parts on the side of the road. I figure I'll have to one of these days, and it'll make it worth the extra effort of keeping the parts around. 

On another note, I use Klein tools on a daily basis at work, and I like their screwdrivers especially. I keep a few around the house for automotive needs.

• Like 2

Sparky

Update:

Took the advice I received and did not buy an all-in one tool kit.   You guys are right that it would have stuff in it that I would never use. 
 Bought this small parts box from Harbor Freight, tossed the dividers in the trash and loaded it with tools I already owned. I forgot that in one of my garage cabinets I had an old Stanley basic socket set with both standard and metric.

Just realized now that I forgot electrical and duct tape :lol: !

Most likely there is nothing on my 2016 truck that I could repair on the side of the road but if I was at a tractor/ machinery show and one of my trusty rusty tractors crapped out I’d be ready to go. Or if I was using one of @wallfish Johns tractors to ride at a show a tool kit is a MUST HAVE! 
97E26A97-B58F-41B5-B467-1485141BEC41.jpeg

49B8496C-B2C5-4A49-B5FC-93586EC87FBF.jpeg

2E188694-BA13-46E1-9D10-96D84531E979.jpeg

28E08D8F-F582-42A4-BDD5-A9CBD496657A.jpeg

CD25DA0E-DFC4-4BFD-9AD2-C72874BEF94F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Digger 66
54 minutes ago, Sparky said:

2E188694-BA13-46E1-9D10-96D84531E979.jpeg

Some heavy duty toolbox drawer liner , cut to fit , would keep everything from rattling around and driving you nuts ....while driving ;) .

Edited by Digger 66

Sparky
11 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Some heavy duty toolbox drawer liner , cut to fit , would keep everything from rattling around and driving you nuts ....while driving ;) .

It’s hard to see but in the 4th pic I posted I have lined the bottom with tool box rubber matting. I also wrapped up the wrenches in a couple red shop rags.

C37251D7-63A9-4E1D-9F54-6183C6120D0B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
8 hours ago, Sparky said:

Or if I was using one of @wallfish Johns tractors to ride at a show a tool kit is a MUST HAVE! 

Now I hope ya get stuck and need a BFH, cause I don't see one of those in there! :teasing-poke:

• Haha 7

Digger 66
6 hours ago, wallfish said:

Now I hope ya get stuck and need a BFH, cause I don't see one of those in there! :teasing-poke:

...or zip-ties.

rjg854

Don't forget the gray tape and WD40 :laughing-rolling:

Sparky

Sigh...gonna need a bigger box :wacko:

• Haha 3

squonk
20 hours ago, wallfish said:

Prolly need an empty water bottle to put gas in too. :)

• Haha 1

Sparky
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Prolly need an empty water bottle to put gas in too. :)

Oh. So you’ve had the pleasure of operating one of Johns tractors I see :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

953 nut
On 2/22/2020 at 2:08 PM, Sparky said:

Just realized now that I forgot electrical and duct tape :lol: 

Baling wire too, don't leave home without it!

th?id=OIP.oi7ppFDHIOufQ9MWmg3o3gHaE9&pid=Api&P=0&w=255&h=171

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66
22 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Baling wire too, don't leave home without it!

th?id=OIP.oi7ppFDHIOufQ9MWmg3o3gHaE9&pid=Api&P=0&w=255&h=171

Ditto on that ^^

I have a small wind on the wheeler and in the P/U .

I get the stainless steel though .

• Like 2

Pullstart

No butt wipe in there?  What if the BFH fails and you can’t make it to civilization before the nightly news is on?

• Haha 1