bottjernat1

Wheelhorse Tie Rods

bottjernat1

I have a few horses that i need to buy some tie rods for. My question is does anybody have the part numbers for tie rods on a 1969 electro 12 and a 1969 commando v8? and or what do you all do for tie rods? I would like to stay as close to the originals as i can but i would also be willing to make some or buy them ready to go. The electro 12 the ones on it are really bad. i have zip ties and electrical tape holding them on. I have managed to put the commandos ones in my vise and crimp them for now it may hold but i would rather just replace them.  LOL

ebinmaine

If you want them to be as close to original as possible your best bet is to

Order a set from Lowell at wheel Horse parts and more.

Around here I am concerned with strengths. Not originality. I've begun making my own.

You can get tie rods from McMaster-Carr.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If you want them to be as close to original as possible your best bet is to

Order a set from Lowell at wheel Horse parts and more.

Around here I am concerned with strengths. Not originality. I've begun making my own.

You can get tie rods from McMaster-Carr.

You dont happen to know the parts numbers do you? and can i find this gentleman on here or a general search on google? 

ebinmaine

I don't have the part numbers but their website is

Wheelhorsepartsandmore.com

Lowell and Joette are the husband and wife that run it. They are vendors of Redsquare and can be found in that section. Wonderful people. Very helpful.

• Like 4

oilwell1415

I will be building my own when the time comes.  You can readily buy heim joints and turnbuckles that are up to the task for a reasonable cost.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

I will be building my own when the time comes.  You can readily buy heim joints and turnbuckles that are up to the task for a reasonable cost.

My only issue on whatever set I need to build next is that I don't have anybody to make me the center rods.

I like to use a nice thick diameter to get plenty of bite in the internal threads.

oilwell1415
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

My only issue on whatever set I need to build next is that I don't have anybody to make me the center rods.

I like to use a nice thick diameter to get plenty of bite in the internal threads.

Those are the turnbuckles.  You can buy them off the shelf from a racing supply store with pretapped 3/8 ends in lengths from a few inches to a few feet in 1/2" increments for less than $20.  Search for 3/8 swedged rods and you'll find what you need.

• Thanks 1

JoeM
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

EB, Lowell sell ends that have the 3/8" ball and will accept 7/16 threaded rod. I think they may be for Cubs. I bought grade B7 coated rod on evil bay (came from Grainger). One rod will make 4 units. Will need to get some jam nuts also, I had some nuts in that size on hand. 

Just another option

1324111724_Capture716threadedrod.JPG.eeef072942e6ea01f723b3a584b2c1fd.JPG

1688474112_Capture716threadedrodballend.JPG.6635108526564df719e02319aa7bcdd3.JPG

Edited by TractorJunkie
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Stormin
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Eric. Below is what I did for the Black Horse. I used knackered rods cut down with the ends turned down and threaded.

Both ends are right hand thread as I don't posses a eft hand die.

33.jpg.8eabb7ed13da1b0dc57a79d41efbd54c.jpg 

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Eric. Below is what I did for the Black Horse. I used knackered rods cut down with the ends threaded.

33.jpg.8eabb7ed13da1b0dc57a79d41efbd54c.jpg 

34.jpg

How did you get those shaved? I don't have access to a machine shop but I suppose I could mount them in a drill and set them to a grindstone?

• Like 1

Stormin

I've a lathe. Grinding them down is not a good idea. Apart from the safety aspect, they need to be turned down to a precise measurement for threading..

• Like 2

bds1984

Eric you could just buy round stock the diameter you need and run the appropriate die on them versus trying to machine parts down; it'll save time and your eardrums.  I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I made some tie-rods where I used a left-hand tap on one side and a right-hand on the other since the tie-rod ends had external threads on them.

• Like 2

pfrederi

I used ball joints but you could use heim if you wanted.  Threaded rod from McMaster and a 1/4" black iron pipe nipple (6").  You have to run a 3/8" drill through the pipe to clean out the weld inside. but it is easy to do,  The pipe reinforces the threaded rod.  i have them on a few horses no problems.

IMG_0269.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

oilwell1415

This is pretty close to what I'll be doing.  These are probably better rod ends than you would need on a tractor, but I knew this place would have everything.  Just needs jam nuts to be everything, so maybe another $10 there.  FWIW, if it was a tractor that was actually going to work I would probably go with something with a rubber boot over the joint to keep dirt out like 90 degree rod ends shown above.

image.png.a4e5300b9bbaab0ae11d8f05d02a6c03.png

image.png

Edited by oilwell1415
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I used the greaseable Heim joints, threaded rod and bolts on the low rider build.

IMG_6890.JPG.94d30161cd87fdcbcc4ca6da2a901fe0.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

JoeM

I see Wheel Horse Parts and More has 1/2" x 7/16" inch ends also. Probably a tough set up id you used high grade threaded rod.

Web Site List it as this;

1/2 x 7/16 Ball Joint for GT 14, 953, 1054 Drag Link Replacement

(1) 1/2 x 7/16 Ball Joint with nut

Please note that the stud is 7/16, so you will have to drill out the drag link arm 1 size from 3/8 to 7/16.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

used 3/8 x 24 threaded rod with heim joints , measured against the original settings, never a problem or failure. pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, TractorJunkie said:

I see Wheel Horse Parts and More has 1/2" x 7/16" inch ends also. Probably a tough set up id you used high grade threaded rod.

Web Site List it as this;

1/2 x 7/16 Ball Joint for GT 14, 953, 1054 Drag Link Replacement

(1) 1/2 x 7/16 Ball Joint with nut

Please note that the stud is 7/16, so you will have to drill out the drag link arm 1 size from 3/8 to 7/16.

Several of the steering arms on the Wheelhorses I've seen have had the 3/8 size hole egged out.

When we built the Cinnamon Horse it was always intended to be a worker and we live on exceedingly rough ground. I decided to increase the heim joint size to 7/16. I drilled out the egg shaped hole to a correct round hole and installed...

• Excellent 1

RandyLittrell
On 2/10/2020 at 10:10 AM, ebinmaine said:

On 2/10/2020 at 10:10 AM, ebinmaine said:

Eric, here is a link for the rods, you can get the rod ends there as well. 

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Swedged-Steel-Tube-1-2-Inch-Thread,2090.html

Randy

• Thanks 1

bellevillerod
On 2/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, ebinmaine said:

Ask an you will receive......

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, bellevillerod said:

Ask an you will receive......

Might have another "ask" soon....:D

Lee1977

I use heims joints to make mine. Had one set on the C-120.180 since 1990 they are just as good as when I put them on.  have bought two sets of good quality heims joints from 

Speedway Motors.

SAM-1056.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Anyone know where to get inexpensive boots?

Mcm/Carr has em but they are $10-$12 each.

Lee1977
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Anyone know where to get inexpensive boots?

Mcm/Carr has em but they are $10-$12 each.

The ones on my C-120/180 have never had boots and I have never greased or oil them. They are just as tight as new., there isn't any space to let anything in.

• Thanks 1