pfrederi

Axle Woodruff keys

pfrederi

Over the years WH used different size woodruff keys on the axles. It is also a weak spot based on the number of wallowed out keyways I have come across. However, on some units they used the big (but hard to find, McMaster doesn't have them :() #RX key (left in picture). But as best I can figure only on 1054, GT-14 and D series.  Now the hubs on those an be a real PIA to pull but I haven't found one with a messed up axle keyway.  Kind of obvious in this case that "Size Does Matter".   Wonder why they didn't use them more often???  Older tractors 855s, Lawn rangers and the like used #15 keys  (Right).  C series and later # 22 (center).

Anyway I now have a few #RX keys so if you need one....

IMG_0279.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

bottjernat1

Man wished you had these a few months ago. i just bought multi sets of these. LOL

ebinmaine

Valuable information here.

McGrew

pfrederi,  Experience taught me that when you see changes like this, and there is no good explanation, the answer almost always comes back to money...   Smaller keys were cheaper, and required less machining of the axles?  .  Danny

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

My '79 C series have the same key as D series. I had a couple sets of axles cut for square keys the full hub width also. No problems.

pfrederi
1 hour ago, R. L. Addison said:

My '79 C series have the same key as D series. I had a couple sets of axles cut for square keys the full hub width also. No problems.

According to the parts manual the 79 C series used part number 937108 the #22 key.  D series that year used 937121    But some PO may have swapped things or also likely WH was using up some other axles.

bulerofony

Ahh I needed them as well, had some hard time trying to find a replacement, especially during that covid lockdown.

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, bulerofony said:

Ahh I needed them as well, had some hard time trying to find a replacement, especially during that covid lockdown.

Which key do you need the big RX or one of the smaller ones?? I would mail you a WX if you thought it would get through customs stuff.

Edited by pfrederi

bulerofony

Found already, I've been looking on the internet for some offers and couldn't find anything for some time, and then a man told me on another forum that I can ask a for a locksmith service and they can make one for me. The result is really good, I didn't even know that they can make this kind of keys. With my job, I am using them quite a lot, and since the old keys got stolen while I left them outside for a few minutes, it was a big problem for me.

Edited by bulerofony