seven

Snowblower chute cable?

seven

15800604181168636546319871355123.jpg.fbbb68afdb483ca2d1c8659eacd22498.jpg15800604181168636546319871355123.jpg.fbbb68afdb483ca2d1c8659eacd22498.jpgLast year mine broke so I replaced it with a steel clothes line cable that had an outer sheild on it it finally broke also.im thinking now a plan 3/16 diameter steel cable  any thoughts?

wallfish

Seems like something might be binding if they're breaking that quick. Try the galvanized wire rope, 3/16 might be a little thick but that's just for bending tight around the handle spool. Only way to know for sure is to try a piece and find out.

The more strands it's made out of, the more flexible it is.

Ed Kennell

I agree with John,  0.187" dia. cable will be pretty stiff to stay wound on the spool.

I've had some success using 0.105" dia string trimmer line.

• Like 1

vanillaman

I tried 3/16 cable and found it too stiff to work with. I tried 1/16 cable that was very easy to wind on to the drum but it broke over time. I am now using 3/32 cable that wound on easily. I think that this will work for me. I found it at a salvage store for 10 cents per foot. I have an ample supply if needed.          Dick                                                                                                                                                         

• Like 1

peter lena

initially i used a grass trimmer line to route and get the right operation before going  over to 1/8 " cable ,available at your local hardware store. another thing that i added to the base of the chute was electrical lugs , back to back to hold the cable in a very solid way , https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-to-14-Dual-Rated-Mechanical-Wire-Connector-with-Single-Conductor-Mount-10-Pieces-ADR2-B2-5/202207165?mtc=Shopping-VF-F_Vendor-G-D27E-27_11_TOOLS_And_ACCESSORIES-Generic-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-TOOLS_ACCESSORIES&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_Vendor-G-D27E-27_11_TOOLS_And_ACCESSORIES-Generic-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-TOOLS_ACCESSORIES-71700000033101173-58700003868916496-92700048703499442&gclid=CjwKCAiAjrXxBRAPEiwAiM3DQuc84Y38nlZicuZA0Id3xuBpMT9kudKgJUhupmu8wZ4JMVxS-3MxMxoCCe4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds, drill out original cable clamps, use new1/4" hole to bolt back to back the lugs , very secure cable grip to swivel chute . that 1/8" cable is very strong , and easy to use, lubricate all friction points, pete

moe1965

I used a garage door cable.  Works good

AHS

The original WH cable is very thin! And works good! I don’t know what the diameter is.  Also, double crimp at the end; the stock crimps, and then another screw style crimp.

peter lena

i think a lot of the problem is lack of lubrication, rust and scale will make anything very hard to use and regularly bind up on itself. that is why i used the grass trimmer line  to verify tracking and function. its easy slide and strength is ok for many units. those aluminum wire lugs using a 1/4 " bolt in place of the original pop rivet, mounted in oppose ways  are the perfect solid pull point for chute rotation. i spent time at each problem or drag area,improving and increasing function . i also added a  smooth round screw on ball end on the chute rod, works very well with mittens , easy die nut thread cutting , make it as smooth as you want, pete