Tgalo

Tank grommet

Tgalo

I'm have a fit trying to get the fuel tank grommet to stop leaking. No cracks or irregularitys around the hole. Is there  sealant I can use on the grommet, then reinstall it? Thanks, T 

gwest_ca

Seal-All is the only product I am aware of.

You have to work fast because it dries so quick.

A bead in the groove will skin over quickly but rupture and do it's job when in place.

http://eclecticproducts.com/seal-all.html

Garry

• Like 1

Achto
59 minutes ago, Tgalo said:

Is there  sealant I can use on the grommet, then reinstall it?

Are you using a new grommet or trying to seal an old one? I've never had good luck trying to reuse an old one.

• Like 3

Tgalo

Yeah it is new and a new valve as well, ok cool. Ive seen that stuff in Advance... thanks 

Edited by Tgalo
  • Like 1

squonk

You probably have a hair line crack in the tank.

• Like 3

Tgalo

I'll take a real good look at it tomorrow.

Edited by Tgalo
  • Like 1

ZXT

Squonk is likely correct.

Is it possible that you accidentally tore the grommet when installing it, or is this leaking issue why you replaced the grommet in the first place? You could likely plastic weld the tank if it was cracked.

MalMac

Like mentioned above, if you tried to install the grommet cold, you could have cracked the tank or tore the grommet. I have never seen one sealed that held up. 

• Like 1

JoeM

One thing you can do to check the tank is to put a little air pressure in the fill neck, holding your hand on the opening, and spraying soapy water on the new grommet and valve. Might help pinpoint the problem.

• Like 1

Tgalo

Think I got it finally. Turned out to be the cheap valve I got from Ebay. The O ring on the screw part wasn’t sealing. I found a thicker O ring and (for now) its dry. Thanks for the input

• Like 1

clueless

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Razorback

Can someone please tell me where I can buy one of these grommets? And a part number, please? For my 1974 C160. I was doing other things with it today..... grommet cracked in two..... SURPRISE!!!!!

Lee1977

Most any lawn mower shop should have one, they were used in a lot of different equipment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6wheeler
13 hours ago, Razorback said:

Can someone please tell me where I can buy one of these grommets? And a part number, please? For my 1974 C160. I was doing other things with it today..... grommet cracked in two..... SURPRISE!!!!!

The valve and grommet are both available from Toro #'s are 104048 and 104047. I found the numbers on the TORO MPV. Then? I had to go through my local dealer. Unfortunately? Toro decided not to sell to private parties any more. I just look up the parts. Then? Call my dealer. Saves time.

• Like 1

Achto
14 hours ago, Razorback said:

Can someone please tell me where I can buy one of these grommets?

My local Ace Hardware has them in the bins in the hardware section.

• Thanks 2

tunahead72
3 hours ago, Achto said:

My local Ace Hardware has them in the bins in the hardware section.

Well, that's good to know.  I just picked up a couple of Stens 125-336 grommets at my local NAPA store yesterday.  They should work on my 310-8 and C-105, although the end that fits inside the tank is a slightly smaller diameter than the original.  I should know for sure tomorrow when I get one of them installed.

• Like 1

johnnymag3

The end of the grommet inside the tank will swell with the shut off installed...It will be fine !!!!

:thumbs2:

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
14 hours ago, 6wheeler said:

Unfortunately? Toro decided not to sell to private parties any more

When did that happen?  I've placed two orders with them in the past couple weeks and no issues at all.

https://www.torodealer.com/en-US/Pages/partslookup.aspx

But that grommet is a dime a dozen at most any good repair shop, doesn't have to be a Jenny U Whine Toro part.

Try Becker's Hardware in Colt's Neck NJ !  (just kidding... but that's where I got my last one from about two months ago)

Edited by Jeff-C175

Razorback

Visited my favorite local mower shop... got a grommet in a Tecumseh bag.... tank reinstalled. Also replaced the starter solenoid. The fitting under the tank on mine does not have a valve on it, but it does have a small filter screen standing vertically in the input side of the fitting.

Thank you for the help. Now, if it will dry out a bit, I can till my friend's garden spot.

• Excellent 1

Razorback

Speaking of my local mower shop.... he is hoping to retire and sell his business to someone who would keep it going. It's a great place, always buried in things to fix. Bates Small Engine Repair..... 713 SW A Street, Bentonville, AR 72712..... 479-273-5332.

I wish I was in a position to buy it, but.....

6wheeler
On 4/29/2021 at 10:18 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

When did that happen?  I've placed two orders with them in the past couple weeks and no issues at all.

https://www.torodealer.com/en-US/Pages/partslookup.aspx

But that grommet is a dime a dozen at most any good repair shop, doesn't have to be a Jenny U Whine Toro part.

Try Becker's Hardware in Colt's Neck NJ !  (just kidding... but that's where I got my last one from about two months ago)

Really? I got an Email from Toro about a year ago. It said that? Unless I was Toro certfied I couldn't purchase direct anymore. I wonder if was ordering too many parts. Thanks Jeff. I will have to re-check that. I thought that was strange. Because? They still ask for my acct. # when I look for parts.

haydendavid380

Stick your finger in the bottom hole in a dark room and shine a flashlight in the top. See if you see light. 

You also can stick you finger in the bottom hole and blow in the top to check for leaks.

The last one I tried to put a new grommet in was leaking as the seams, and you couldn't see it with the naked eye.

tunahead72
On 1/25/2020 at 5:54 PM, Tgalo said:

Think I got it finally. Turned out to be the cheap valve I got from Ebay. The O ring on the screw part wasn’t sealing. I found a thicker O ring and (for now) its dry...

@Tgalo  I'm curious how this has worked out for you since last year.  The new grommet I bought seems to be holding nicely, but the old/original(?) valve is dripping just a bit out the end, enough that I want to fix it or replace it.  I just installed a new o-ring on top of the old one inside the "packing" nut, and tightened the nut as much as I dare, but when I blow hard on it when it's supposed to be fully closed I can hear just the tiniest bit of air coming through.  I'll be installing it tomorrow weather permitting, just wondering if it may actually work, before I decide to spend the $20 or so for a new Toro valve with a screen.

Lman
On 4/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, 6wheeler said:

The valve and grommet are both available from Toro #'s are 104048 and 104047. I found the numbers on the TORO MPV. Then? I had to go through my local dealer. Unfortunately? Toro decided not to sell to private parties any more. I just look up the parts. Then? Call my dealer. Saves time.

I got a Toro 104047 bushing from the local mower shop but I'm wondering whether I was sold a dud. It's been superseded to part # 46-6560. I felt it went into the tank far too easily and yes, it leaks. When they went hunting for it in inventory, I noticed it was the last one in the bag, rubber had gone a bit white but that did clean off. Maybe I ought to take it back, but they seem to have a policy not to take back spare parts. I tried to use silicone sealant, big mistake of course, petrol ate right through that.

104047.png

Retired Wrencher
On 1/24/2020 at 7:05 PM, gwest_ca said:

Seal-All is the only product I am aware of.

You have to work fast because it dries so quick.

A bead in the groove will skin over quickly but rupture and do it's job when in place.

http://eclecticproducts.com/seal-all.html

Garry

Like Garry said great stuff. Been using it for years.

• Like 1