wheelwhores

Plowing weight. Is that legit?

ebinmaine
Just now, wheelwhores said:

I did, actually ordered them the same day someone suggested them...i think it was ebinmaine.  Those will be part of the project

You'll be every kind of happy and back again with those. Sooooo much easier to install wheels.

wheelwhores

I couldn't wait.  Got off work and needed to wrench on something.

IMG_20200130_161929.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

wheelwhores

Any reason I can't fill the rims around so the deeper dish is on the outside so I can load more weights in there?...as opposed to buying the spendy inner wheel weights?

IMG_20200130_163934.jpg

ebinmaine

Peel off your socks and get comfy?

885850006_Screenshot_20200130-1749102.png.d66b350c414fd1ee0aab3d61470d7e4b.png

• Haha 1

wheelwhores
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Peel off your socks and get comfy?

885850006_Screenshot_20200130-1749102.png.d66b350c414fd1ee0aab3d61470d7e4b.png

Gloves... couldn't find my mechanic gloves

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

Any reason I can't fill the rims around so the deeper dish is on the outside so I can load more weights in there?...as opposed to buying the spendy inner wheel weights?

IMG_20200130_163934.jpg

I hope others say it's okay to run rims backwards because I definitely have tractors set up that way. For exactly that same reason. Wheels haven't fallen off yet so.....

8ntruck

I retired after 40 years as an engineer in the automotive steel wheel industry.  My  assignments ranged from product design to process engineering and tooling engineering.

The 60 degree angle in the bolt holes and matching 60 degree angle on the lug nuts are there to help prevent the lug nuts from coming loose.  The face of the wheel that mounts to the hub is also slightly concave towards the center hole.  This helps distribute the load properly into the wheel and to keep the lug nuts tight.

Wheels designed for dual use are reversible.  They can be mounted either side out.

Wheels designed for single use are not reversable.  You can mount a wheel 'back side out', BUT IT IS NOT RECCOMMED.  Doing this leaves you open to lug nuts coming loose and a very good possibility that the wheel will develop a crack.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I retired after 40 years as an engineer in the automotive steel wheel industry.  My  assignments ranged from product design to process engineering and tooling engineering.

The 60 degree angle in the bolt holes and matching 60 degree angle on the lug nuts are there to help prevent the lug nuts from coming loose.  The face of the wheel that mounts to the hub is also slightly concave towards the center hole.  This helps distribute the load properly into the wheel and to keep the lug nuts tight.

Wheels designed for dual use are reversible.  They can be mounted either side out.

Wheels designed for single use are not reversable.  You can mount a wheel 'back side out', BUT IT IS NOT RECCOMMED.  Doing this leaves you open to lug nuts coming loose and a very good possibility that the wheel will develop a crack.

Now that you mention it the ones I have may be reversible.

I have seats for lugs that are slightly concave on both sides.

wheelwhores
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

again, this forum is awesome...i get an answer to any question in less than a day.  You guys are the best!

• Like 2

wheelwhores

another rim related question.  currently i am running 26x10-12(i think these might be ATV tires) and 18x8.5x8.   Which of those numbers is the rim size and which is height and width?  Also,  are all WH rims interchangable.  Meaning if i buy say a parts machine 310-a will the rims fit my c175 front and back?

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

another rim related question.  currently i am running 26x10-12(i think these might be ATV tires) and 18x8.5x8.   Which of those numbers is the rim size and which is height and width?  Also,  are all WH rims interchangable.  Meaning if i buy say a parts machine 310-a will the rims fit my c175 front and back?

I can help you with the tire size question but not so much on the exchange.

So let's look at the original rear tires on my 1974 c-160.

23 x 8.5 x 12

23. Outside diameter. Approximate.

8.5. cross-section width. Again, approximate.

12. Rim diameter.

ebinmaine

As far as the rims go it's the backspacing that's going to be super important. Horse rims have a fairly narrow backspace which is maybe about 1.5 in?

I have a set of Cub rims on a tractor and I had to buy wheel spacers to make them work.

Backspacing on them was more like 2.5 and I also wanted to use chains so I needed extra clearance for that as well.

wheelwhores

Just picked up 24 gallons of rim guard for $91.00.  Install was an extra $150!  so obviously i'll be doing it myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

Just picked up 24 gallons of rim guard for $91.00.  Install was an extra $150!  so obviously i'll be doing it myself.

WOW...

I would too.

8ntruck
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Yup.  If the wheels have countersunk bolt holes on both sides, they are intended to be reversible.

wheelwhores

Anyone have a good method for breaking a tire bead without a machine?  Having a hard time breaking the backs to get the valve stems in .

8ntruck

I haven't tried this, but I've heard of people who placed the wheel flat on the ground, then placed the end of a length of 2x4 on the tire right next to the o.d. of the rim.  They then drove one wheel of a car or truck up the 2x4 , breaking the bead off of the rim.

Also heard of others who used a jack placed at the edge of the rim and under a trailer hitch to break the bead off of the rim.

If you try either of these methods, please be very careful.  Seems like if something goes wrong with either method, it will go very wrong, very quickly, in a very big way.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

wheelwhores

i used a similar method with a floor jack and ratch straps to no effect yesterday.   I'm going to try the same setup but with 2 jacks on opposite ends of the tire next weekend and see it that works.  i also saw a nifty method with a mitered piece of wood and another 2x6 as a lever.  i have a couple new ideas.  i'll let you know if any work out

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

i used a similar method with a floor jack and ratch straps to no effect yesterday.   I'm going to try the same setup but with 2 jacks on opposite ends of the tire next weekend and see it that works.  i also saw a nifty method with a mitered piece of wood and another 2x6 as a lever.  i have a couple new ideas.  i'll let you know if any work out

Trina bought us an HF manual changer for full size wheels two or three years ago.

That is absolutely positively one of the best $40 anyone has ever invested.

• Excellent 1

wheelwhores
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina bought us an HF manual changer for full size wheels two or three years ago.

That is absolutely positively one of the best $40 anyone has ever invested.

Which model, they have a bunch of them with reviews that are all over the place on effectiveness

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

Which model, they have a bunch of them with reviews that are all over the place on effectiveness

Unfortunately I have no way of telling you that cuz I'm not the one that did the purchase.

I do know that here in South Portland Maine there was two or three different types on the shelf available. She bought the one that will do tires from 12 to 16".

The biggest and best and a #1 advice I can give you is to make surer than sure that it is very VERY securely fastened to the floor.

Don't put it on a pallet and think it's going to work okay.

Ours is lag bolted into the floor joists.

• Excellent 1

wheelwhores

i'll check it out if my other methods don't work.  Thanks Eric!

• Like 1

wheelwhores
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Unfortunately I have no way of telling you that cuz I'm not the one that did the purchase.

I do know that here in South Portland Maine there was two or three different types on the shelf available. She bought the one that will do tires from 12 to 16".

The biggest and best and a #1 advice I can give you is to make surer than sure that it is very VERY securely fastened to the floor.

Don't put it on a pallet and think it's going to work okay.

Ours is lag bolted into the floor joists.

My wooden tire machine worked like a charm to break the beads and I was able to get the air liquid stems in tonight after hogging out the old valve stem holes to fit the much large air/liquid stem diameter.  They are aired up and tomorrow I'll do one more leak test...then it's time to juice em up!  Meanwhile my weight brackets are headed to my brother in law's shop to have the 1 inch diameter center holes drilled for the weight mount post...then it'll be time to weld em up and add a little paint. Before the trial run.  When done each tire should be just shy of 200lbs.   Thank God for the lug kit!

Edited by wheelwhores
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
On 1/31/2020 at 3:25 AM, ebinmaine said:

My reversible rim has a bolt pattern to suit  the side being used.

rim.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, bcgold said:

My reversible rim has a bolt pattern to suit  the side being used.

rim.png

Now there's a neat idea.....

• Like 1