wheelwhores

Plowing weight. Is that legit?

gwest_ca

Looked at a new compact Kubota the other day that my neighbor took delivery of. It came with two of the wheel bolts replaced by two studs with nuts in each hub.

Garry

wheelwhores

yes, my plan is to do exactly that.  I'm going to start with 3 chains per tire and see how that goes, i am going to find a mechanical way to link them together first so i get a little extra resistance from sliding side to side.

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

yes, my plan is to do exactly that.  I'm going to start with 3 chains per tire and see how that goes, i am going to find a mechanical way to link them together first so i get a little extra resistance from sliding side to side.

if you use number 40 or number 60 roller chain you only need one, right around the middle.

• Like 1

wheelwhores

i'm going to use bike chain first because i can get it for free!  not sure how that compares in size

• Like 1

pfrederi

It is smaller.  i think you may have problems trying to keep 3 rings of chain on the tire. The tire has to be able to bulge up a bit around the chain.

wheelwhores
50 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

It is smaller.  i think you may have problems trying to keep 3 rings of chain on the tire. The tire has to be able to bulge up a bit around the chain.

sounds like a challenge :P

• Like 1

wheelwhores

so it looks like roller chain is for motorcycles....it's all coming together in my head.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

so it looks like roller chain is for motorcycles....it's all coming together in my head.

Available on the fleabay for $13 delivered to your door. Five feet.

ebinmaine

You can also get a 10ft roll for less than $17

oilwell1415

On the topic of breaking beads, when I changed my tires I used my vise to break the fronts and big C clamps for the backs.  Worked great, but I don't know if I would do it on tires I wanted to reuse. I've also used a floorjack and the frame of my truck in the past.

wheelwhores
18 hours ago, oilwell1415 said:

On the topic of breaking beads, when I changed my tires I used my vise to break the fronts and big C clamps for the backs.  Worked great, but I don't know if I would do it on tires I wanted to reuse. I've also used a floorjack and the frame of my truck in the past.

i tried the jack method with no success.  I actually really liked the 2x4 method because the soft wood basically guaranteed no damage to either the rim or tire if there was an miss alignment.  It also cost me about 2 bucks.  I literally just stashed those pieces in the space between the stud wall in my show for the next time i need to change a tire...

Lee1977

Two ply tires if they are rusted or glued are almost imposible to break loose.  I cut one off my 520 that was glued. Then cut the steel bead with a side grinder. 

SAM-0949.jpg

• Like 1

wheelwhores

so here is what the brackets look like on the rears and a picture of it while i was fabricating everything, with the 11" bolt I was able to hang and additional 5, 10, 10, 25, 50, and 10 on each wheel, that paired with 8.5 gallons or rimguard 8ish gallons of rimguard at 88lbs puts me just under 200lbs per tire of additional weight.  I have the fronts off now for paint and will be new turf tires ordered this week to start in on that project.  At first glance there isn't a lot of room to hang weight inside the rim as the valve stems are in the way....anyone know if the typical front rims are steel or aluminum?  If they are steel i may just weld closed the old stem holes and flip em to the other side of the rim.  O a side note glad i had time to take the tires off as my steering linkage had a lot of loose goose connections all down the line.

IMG_20200202_112321.jpg

IMG_20200215_150318.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wheelwhores said:

typical front rims are steel

All the 60s and 70s rims I have here are steel

wheelwhores
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

i have to imagine that given aluminum of softer and more expensive from a production side most companies would opt to go steel, but ya never know.

wheelwhores
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

i have to imagine that given aluminum of softer and more expensive from a production side most companies would opt to go steel, but ya never know.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 2/17/2020 at 2:30 PM, wheelwhores said:

At first glance there isn't a lot of room to hang weight inside the rim as the valve stems are in the way....

These would work...

20200212_165520.jpg

20200212_165539.jpg

WVHillbilly520H
On 2/17/2020 at 2:30 PM, wheelwhores said:

At first glance there isn't a lot of room to hang weight inside the rim as the valve stems are in the way....

These would work...