ebinmaine

Kinetix brand oil. ... ??

Greentored

Between the engine speed shop and now classic car shop, I've been dealing with this 'oil debate' stuff for a decade and a half, mainly due to the increased flat tappet cam failures customers are seeing with the older vehicles. I have honestly never seen such a INFORMATIVE, FACTUAL, RESPECTFUL oil debate thread, ever! You guys have done some serious research and are dead on accurate with the Zinc/ZDDP, its reduction due to cat converter harm, the fact that too much can eat bearing material, which oils have it and which do not, at least according to what I have read, experienced, and yes preached to customers.

While the masses are spending big money to upgrade to roller cams, I am one of few who will still build a flat tappet engine, and have done so successfully- A LOT of them, some approaching 400# of spring pressure, and aside from playing Russian roulette with spring pressures on break in, have only 'lost' one cam- at 80,000 miles. Every single one of them except the failure had VR1 from the beginning, and occasionally a quart of Lucas, especially on the 'hotter' builds. The failure was running Amsoil 10-40 diesel oil from day one. The customers who have had cam failures in their classics that 'ran fine for years' were using their favorite 'off the shelf' oil.

Does this mean VR1 is the holy grail? Is Amsoil garbage? Is it luck?  Hellifino:lol: but it has done me well for years. What I CAN tell you for a fact, is that switching between brands absolutely CAN slime up an engine in a big way- some oils dont play well together. Have seen it more than a couple times.

Im aware that our little air cooled buggers run hotter, harder, probably dirtier, and dont run the spring pressures of a V8. Would almost bet that in these GT engines, one could pick their favorite oil, stick with it, CHANGE IT REGULARLY, and it would live a long and happy life.

Like @tunahead72 said, dont research it TOO much, your head will explode:lol::handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
On 1/22/2020 at 10:13 AM, ebinmaine said:

I'll try to remember to post my findings

Turns out the local guys had a good enough price for me to order more from them.

I've got a case of straight 30 on the way for about $4.50 a bottle.

• Like 2

AHS

Ha! I found kinetix at my old WH dealer! I’ll see what they have to say about it!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, AHS said:

Ha! I found kinetix at my old WH dealer! I’ll see what they have to say about it!

Nice. 

Please let us know what you find...

AHS
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Nice. 

Please let us know what you find...

I will! Its nice that it has zinc in it.

• Like 1

peter lena

SYLVANLAKEWH, agree with you on your ( frequency of oil changes )  mind set . a fresh, and hot , oil change is your best protection for your engine life  and flush out of moisture and crud. btw i save the less hour oil  for my oil pump cup to lubricate a number of areas. i regularly change out lubricants after a thorough heat up with yard use , keeping the lubricants fresh , is best , pete

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1