bottjernat1

Old railroad and traffic lanterns

bottjernat1

I also among lots of other things collect old railroad and traffic lanterns. Alot of these where my late dad craig bottjers but i have kept on with his collection. Does anybody else collect these?

IMG_20191110_140016645.jpg

20191016_165529.jpg

IMG_20191117_180057691.jpg

IMG_20191103_154055497.jpg

IMG_20191110_135533378.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

bottjernat1

Among these i own one of the very first battery powered embury lanterns made in the 20's in very very good condition! When i found out it was a legit 20's lantern i took the old batteries that my dad had in it out immediately!! LOL! 

IMG_20191110_140648549.jpg

IMG_20191110_143026312.jpg

battery power.JPG

1st battery.JPG

inspectors lantern.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Alex175

My father in law does, he works part time on an old steam train here in Connecticut and he has always had a passion for railroad memorabilia.  He's got all sorts of stuff in his basement.  Now I am trying to get him into Wheel Horse.  He told me he had a Lawn Ranger growing up and he loved it, so I've been looking around to try to find him one to get him back on something red.  Currently his only ride on tractor is an old 1940's Beaver tractor that was originally made here in CT as well.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1
23 minutes ago, Alex175 said:

My father in law does, he works part time on an old steam train here in Connecticut and he has always had a passion for railroad memorabilia.  He's got all sorts of stuff in his basement.  Now I am trying to get him into Wheel Horse.  He told me he had a Lawn Ranger growing up and he loved it, so I've been looking around to try to find him one to get him back on something red.  Currently his only ride on tractor is an old 1940's Beaver tractor that was originally made here in CT as well.

I own 3 beavers! Sweet deal

beavers.jpg

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

CCW

Bought this one for $5 over forty years ago.

Lantern.jpg

Edited by CCW
  • Like 3

JoeM

had a couple of those red ones, that hung in my Dad's basement when I was a kid. Not real bright when lit, but back then the nights were pitch black. 

• Like 1

rdeanrj58

I don't collect them but I do have one that was handed down to me from an uncle. As best I remember it had belonged to his father who came here from Scotland probably in the early 1900's.   The interesting thing about it is that it has a wooden bail instead of the usual wire .   I've never seen another with wood.   I've always wondered how rare it was. 

• Like 1

bottjernat1
On 1/20/2020 at 8:37 PM, rdeanrj58 said:

I don't collect them but I do have one that was handed down to me from an uncle. As best I remember it had belonged to his father who came here from Scotland probably in the early 1900's.   The interesting thing about it is that it has a wooden bail instead of the usual wire .   I've never seen another with wood.   I've always wondered how rare it was. 

im betting pretty rare but there is a guy on facebook who is my go to guy russell smith i believe is the guy's name im on the antique lantern page and a railroad lantern page. i will warn you tho some of the folks on the railroad lantern page are grouchy if its not railroad related they will give you crap. I first joined the railroad one because i wasn't sure of the difference because what i have was my late dads. And so i joined to find out what i had. And i got some push back because a lot of my old lanterns technically were not railroad. LOL

rdeanrj58

Thanks for the warning.   I may look into the FB groups.    Just curious to know what I have 

• Like 1