grinchsr

518H Info Needed

grinchsr

I have 2 questions.  Was the 518 a one year tractor and are car dollies the only way to move a non running 518H?  I have no experience with the Eaton 7 trans

JCM

The 518-H was built in 1988  1989  and   1990  I believe, and I think you are correct that the Eaton 700 can not be towed.

Andy N.

The 518-H was produced in 1988 & 1989 only. Manual says hand push only. Probably can be towed at slow speeds the same way or winched up onto a trailer. You will need to disengage to the trans either way. Pics are from my '89 520-H which should be the similar if not the same.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 10.59.42 PM.png

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

Edited by Andy N.
  • Like 2

JCM

518-H      1988 =  31-180EO2      1989 =  E1-180EO2    1990 =  R1- 180EO2     ?     @Stepney     May be able to tell you about his adventures trying to rescue a non-runner 516-H with the same trans.

Edited by JCM

grinchsr

I had to drag the tractor on to the trailer with the wheel locked up using a winch.  I did take the tension off of the belt

Pollack Pete

Horrible to move when not running.Gotta drag them around or,like me,I have the luxury of a skidsteer with forks.

• Like 1

JCM

I have had 2   520-H  WH  with the Eaton 1100 and the manual mentions to put the column mounted hydro lever all the way forward to push the tractor,neither one of mine could be pushed more than 2' or 3' without the clicking noise and locking up the rear end. The 520's were a 1993 and a 1991 which I still own.Neither of those had the lever to take tension off the belt. Something to be said about the good ole 8 speed at times.

grinchsr

I was thinking about selling my car dollies awhile back.  Looks like I will be keeping them a bit longer.   Thanks for the replies

IMG_2878.JPG

• Like 3

richmondred01

Yep. I use the dollies for that.

they work great. 

lynnmor
1 minute ago, richmondred01 said:

Yep. I use the dollies for that.

they work great. 

Except when the tractor dies at the far end of the property.  :bitch:

• Haha 2

Stepney

Was always told pulling a hydro with locked wheels was a huge no-no.. especially something fragile like a 7. I had a heck of a time rescuing a 516 from the woods. But when it came to moving it, I slipped the belt right off the hydro pump. It would freewheel then if you were gentle. It could never be moved with even the friction of a loose belt on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

grinchsr

Thanks for the info. I did pull up on the belt tensioner but I guess it still had some contact with the belt. Hopefully I didn’t do any damage. Will know more when I get it running 

Tuneup

I've got a 516H that I still have to get to - wild surging. Anyway, although the belt release still grabs just a little, with it in max forward, it is able to move along but with difficulty.

ericj

the longer a eaton 700 or even an 1100 sets the easier it will push. If your 520 dies out at the edge of the yard while mowing you will have a difficult time pushing it back. I have pushed or towed tractors with both the 1100 and the 700 with wheels locked or barely moving for semi short distances. the other year my nice 97 416-H shut off at the show out by the bathrooms in the main exbo hall, where the membership meeting is held. Anyhow I could not get it started so Glen Cockerham offered to toe it back to the show barn. He towed it very slowly and got it to the barn. I left it sit the rest of the weekend. Saturday when I went to load it up I jumped the starter and got it running and drove it into my trailer. I've driven it since and no apparent damage to the trans. So my advice is if you take it easy you can move them with wheels locked up.

I've also have had eaton 700 that I've pulled out of the weeds that did roll becuase off sitting for so long, but once they where allowed to build hydraulic pressure they would not roll. the dollies are a good idea for moving them around the shop if you have them on concrete. good luck

eric j   

• Like 1

Pullstart

Just to be clear, are all 518H tractors Eaton 7 equipped?  What are the odds of them being weak in a parked tractor?  Just as good or bad as any other hydro?

I was just sent a picture... no details no asking price.

0552C83E-CF9A-4489-B74C-D31C5F7A50D2.jpeg

grinchsr

When I found mine it wasn’t running and had not run in months. I had to use a come along and drag it onto my trailer. Back wheels locked solid until I finally got it running at home. 

gwest_ca

Our domestic model numbers start with a 31 and use the 700 Eaton.

The exported model numbers start with E1 or R1 and use the 1100 Eaton.

Garry

• Thanks 1

littleredrider

I had a 518 that had the 700 in it. I swapped it to an 1100. For the life of me I don't know why they would put a weak tranny in a heavy duty tractor. But yet a 314H got the 1100? Other than that, they are a good tractor. I kinda wish I still had it, swapped in a Vanguard 16 horse, sounded like a Harley lol. But got a clean 520 with a bad motor, now has a 10 horse diesel and loader....

• Like 1