Tim R

1973 kohler 14 stopped running after 1 hour

Tim R

I was plowing 5 inches of snow today and my '73 No Name Kohler 14 stopped running.  Fresh fuel.  Couldn't get it restarted.  Any suggestions appreciated.

953 nut

:WRS:

If the vent in the gas tank is plugged it would stop the fuel pump from working after a while. May need to remove the fuel line at the pump and get fuel flowing to that point then try to start it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

What testing have you done so far?

Have spark?

Verified carb gets fuel?

lynnmor

Put a teaspoon of gas down the carb and immediately try to start, if it runs a bit you have a fuel issue.  If no fire, check spark.

Tim R

Thanks.  I sprayed some carb cleaner into the throat of the carb and put a new plug in.  Will try it again when the battery has recharged.

How do I unplug a fuel tank vent? 

oliver2-44

Put it in the warm garage and see if it starts several hours later. if it does, theirs a good chance you have some moisture/water in the bottom of the tank freezing up

• Like 1

T-Mo
10 hours ago, Tim R said:

Thanks.  I sprayed some carb cleaner into the throat of the carb and put a new plug in.  Will try it again when the battery has recharged.

How do I unplug a fuel tank vent? 

Remove the gas cap and check the little vent hole in it.  Those get clogged and won't allow the fuel system to vent.  You can check to see if this is the problem by trying to run the engine with the gas cap removed.  And to clean the vent, run a small wire through the vent hole in the cap to unclogged it.

bc.gold

If your engine is equipped with a pulse type fuel pump, moisture in the crankcase has been known to form an ice blockage inside the vacuum line.