dalez

Finally getting smart and started using a dust mask while grinding, etc. Only problem is I wear glasses and they fog up every time I breathe. You guys have any tricks to keep the hot air off your glasses?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I wear glasses for close vision.

ALWAYS have safety glasses on.

Any pics of the masks or a link to what they are?

Fogging glasses could mean the masks aren't sealed tightly enough against the upper part.

If the mask has a pinch adjustment that could be tightened.

If not, you may need to try another type or brand.

Also... Are you in a heated/hot area while using them?

Perhaps a fan pointed at your head would help reduce condensation.

• Like 1

Greentored

Between the automotive business and Lord-knows-what DIY projects for 30+ years, think ive worn every disposable dust mask they make, probably twice. The ONLY one Ive used that doesnt fog up your safety glasses is a true respirator, like the ones used in a paint booth.  Overkill for general DIY stuff maybe, then again, is anything that keeps your lungs clean truly overkill?

Stepdad uses this stuff called 'cat crap' (yes thats the name haha) on his glasses to keep them from fogging up. Not sure if that would work on plastic safety glasses or not.......

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I have the same problem using a mask and it is frustrating. I also got some 

masks that rap around your ears that do work better. I got these from my doctor. 
 I also use a 

Respirator and it does work well.

• Like 1

953 nut

I use the 3-M masks with a built in check valve which directs your exhale downward. Any industrial supply house will have then for about $ 1,00 each when you buy the box of ten.

665582235-1.jpg

• Like 5

JC 1965
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I use the 3-M masks with a built in check valve which directs your exhale downward. Any industrial supply house will have then for about $ 1,00 each when you buy the box of ten.

665582235-1.jpg

Richard, will these keep your glasses from fogging up ?

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

Stepdad uses this stuff called 'cat crap' (yes thats the name haha) on his glasses to keep them from fogging up. Not sure if that would work on plastic safety glasses or not.......

I've used Cat Crap on goggles for skiing. works well on plastic ski goggles...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

dalez

It looks like they have Cat Crap at Walmart, I will give it a try and let you know.

Dale

lynnmor

I tried the tape trick with some success, but it is troublesome and often comes loose with sweat. 

82Caddy

I use a 3m 7500 series respirator.  Seals to your face and has filters that you can change for whatever you're doing.  Plus parts are available at Menards (if you have one near you).  No issues with glasses fogging with that one.  

Image result for 3m 7500 respirator"

• Like 3

Pullstart

I use the cheap throwaway masks and learn to mouth breath.  I also make sure that metal strip is properly molded to my beak.  Some day, I should invest in a quality respirator...

82Caddy
40 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I use the cheap throwaway masks and learn to mouth breath.  I also make sure that metal strip is properly molded to my beak.  Some day, I should invest in a quality respirator...

That 3M one I listed is like 28$ and filters are 14$ for a two pack at Menards...

• Thanks 1

cleat

When painting or anything else that has toxic fumes or chemicals you should use one of these.

image.png.9c36f7f0d2a4ecea99982971685bbf85.png

Your eyes can absorb airborne chemicals as well as your lungs.

Benefit is it also acts as safety glasses and does not fog up.

image.png

Edited by cleat
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

pacer

I use this type which of course is VERY  popular/common/cheap----but, to use right out of box will fog my specs right quickly. So one muggy day was trying to wire brush rust off a horse and could hardly get anything accomplished! Walked in shop and started jerking open drawers to find SOMETHING that would help, quickly came across an old pair of those carousel? type multi sized hole punches for leather. I dialed it up to the largest hole size - bout 3/16"? and started adding more air holes to the rim around the goggles. Took a couple tries to get working - not perfect but pretty dern good!! On a hot humid day down here I'll still get a bit of fog but can work with it.

image.png.5fd6472847a129b76d2bb3566418ef28.png

• Like 1

wallfish

MikMacMike

If its fumes I wear this but if its just dust I wear these, the glasses have rubber around the sides with perferations so as to breath. But as Eric said they have to fit snug especially close to the underside of your glassess, besides if its not snug you might as well not use a mask at all because the fine particulate still enters while breathing in.

OH I forgot to mention too, and believe you me after loosing all my hair, head to toe, the special purpose hair we depend on in our naisal system, all the peach fuss is there for a reason.....keep it moist and as air passes over them it is natures filtration system......but let me say this....when we see particulate in the shop....and it becomes cloudy in the shop.....thats nothing, thats no where near what is escaping our natural filtration sys and entering right to your lungs, and either collects there as in miners, and or even worse as our bodily fluids break sertain dust particulate down into fluids they luiterally become a chemical entering the blood stream. Those funny dust masks that have the metal strip I havnt trusted since what the 70's??? after we have worked with asbestos for how many years??? NEVER, I repeat never think some chinees made or any country including Canada do you substitute your helth for a cheaper product......I can tell you horrer stories of my comrads and yes of myself that could curdel your breakfast cerial in 1/10 th of a second flat. When it comes to reperators buy the best you can afford......again, better then the tools your proud of.....cuz other wise your tool will always, and I mean always outlast you. SAFTY SAFTY please.

image20200117_112648694[1].jpg

image20200117_112721657[1].jpg

image20200117_112934220[1].jpg

Edited by MikMacMike
To Save a LIFE!!!!!!......sssss
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

Richard, will these keep your glasses from fogging up ?

Yes, the exhaust is directed downward and the nose piece holds shape well.

• Like 1

C_hasbeen

If fog gets out to get on your glasses than other stuff gets in and you breathe it.  I find that by tightning the straps tight they seal good, the throw away ones I can't  get to seal good.

• Like 1

C_hasbeen
On 1/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, MikMacMike said:

If its fumes I wear this but if its just dust I wear these, the glasses have rubber around the sides with perferations so as to breath. But as Eric said they have to fit snug especially close to the underside of your glassess, besides if its not snug you might as well not use a mask at all because the fine particulate still enters while breathing in.

OH I forgot to mention too, and believe you me after loosing all my hair, head to toe, the special purpose hair we depend on in our naisal system, all the peach fuss is there for a reason.....keep it moist and as air passes over them it is natures filtration system......but let me say this....when we see particulate in the shop....and it becomes cloudy in the shop.....thats nothing, thats no where near what is escaping our natural filtration sys and entering right to your lungs, and either collects there as in miners, and or even worse as our bodily fluids break sertain dust particulate down into fluids they luiterally become a chemical entering the blood stream. Those funny dust masks that have the metal strip I havnt trusted since what the 70's??? after we have worked with asbestos for how many years??? NEVER, I repeat never think some chinees made or any country including Canada do you substitute your helth for a cheaper product......I can tell you horrer stories of my comrads and yes of myself that could curdel your breakfast cerial in 1/10 th of a second flat. When it comes to reperators buy the best you can afford......again, better then the tools your proud of.....cuz other wise your tool will always, and I mean always outlast you. SAFTY SAFTY please.

image20200117_112648694[1].jpg

image20200117_112721657[1].jpg

I am going to pick one of these full face ones up, I never thought about getting one like this, I now have a reason to go to Menard today!  Thanks for the tip

• Excellent 1

MikMacMike
On 1/19/2020 at 1:38 PM, C_hasbeen said:

If fog gets out to get on your glasses than other stuff gets in and you breathe it.  I find that by tightning the straps tight they seal good, the throw away ones I can't  get to seal good.

no one can unless they glue to face.......these are put out there and sold to individuals that do not know safty, and companies that couldnt care less because your a number.

MikMacMike
20 minutes ago, dalez said:

Bother it took me 20 seconds to open the4 page and close it......I would have looked longer but right now I have sanding dust and epoxy fumes ramped in the shop LOL. I quickly looked for ULA, CSA or anything that verifies safty, and even in the specs they seemed to use alterier language showing safty is last but style is 1st......Hey Im ugly n dirty already, I dont think extra money for a mask to give me what they think is style or the in thing will make me feel like Im a rock Hudson or whom ever.....ALWAYS CHECK THE SPECS WITH IN ........WHIMIS. May be I missed it on there site but I dont want someone to reinvent the wheel, I just want them to balance it and make it safe.......Period.

Zeek
On 1/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, MikMacMike said:

I use one like picture on the left as well. Made by 3M, very common, very easy to get filters for. Maybe more than needed for dust, but I don't like having a bunch of stuff laying around so I use this for painting, sand blasting, in bathroom doing a #2.