ronhatch

K241; SWAP STARTER/GEN FOR ALTERNATOR SET UP?

ronhatch

I have a 1979 C101 that is developing an engine noise. Rod knock, piston slap? I also have a  solid sounding K241 from a 1966 Jacobson, but unfortunately, it has the belt driven starter/generator set up rather then the Alternator set up. Can I install the Alternator/starter/flywheel/shroud on the K241 that has the belt driven starter/generator?  The engine bases are different, but I can deal with that.

pfrederi

S/g setups are way cool and  would stick with it.  But yes you can make the swap...What you cannot do is put an S/G shroud on a bendix starter setup the ring gear doesn't clear.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, ronhatch said:

Can I install the Alternator/starter/flywheel/shroud on the K241 that has the belt driven starter/generator?  The engine bases are different, but I can deal with that.

:text-yeahthat:         This swap makes because you won't need to change any of your writing.

cafoose
35 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:         This swap makes because you won't need to change any of your writing.

writing? :laughing-rofl::ychain:

• Sad 1

953 nut

WRITING,        :hide:              I thought I was writing   WIRING!               sorry.

• Haha 1

cafoose
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

WRITING,        :hide:              I thought I was writing   WIRING!               sorry.

I thought so just :ychain: :laughing-rofl:

R. L. Addison

You could wind up over charging the battery, depending on running hours, & alternator output.

ronhatch
2 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

You could wind up over charging the battery, depending on running hours, & alternator output.

My C-101 already has the alternator, etc. I'm only changing the engine.

So the flywheel, alternator winding's, and starter will bolt right up to the older block? OK!  I'll take that to the bank. 

953 nut
4 hours ago, cafoose said:

I thought so just :ychain: :laughing-rofl:

I just repeated the process and found out the culprit was the auto-correct that fixes spelling errors. If you transpose the I and it seemed to think you left out the T.         Isn't technology wonderful!

2 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

If he uses the existing charging system and wiring on the replacement engine there shouldn't be a problem.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

My C-101 already has the alternator, etc. I'm only changing the engine.

So the flywheel, alternator winding's, and starter will bolt right up to the older block? OK!  I'll take that to the bank. 

The Block for the starter generator engine may not have the mounting hole in it for a Bendix starter....  I misunderstood your OP.. You ran all the words together I thought you were describing the Air shroud.  I do not know for sure if the stator will bolt to the S/G engine end plate. 

pfrederi

I went the other way i converted a K181 from a bendix to an S/G system. I just removed the stator but reused the ring gear flywheel. I had bought an air shroud for and S/G engine to use but couldn't as it wouldn't clear the ring gear.  Also had to hack away at the part of the shroud that covers the bendix nose as it interfered with the battery

cafoose
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:
5 hours ago, cafoose said:

:laughing-rofl:

I just repeated the process and found out the culprit was the auto-correct that fixes spelling errors. If you transpose the I and it seemed to think you left out the T.         Isn't technology wonderful!

Yes it is! I have that problem all the time, most times I correct it, other times I have been known to miss it :hide: 

• Heart 1

ronhatch

The heck with it!  I'll just find a good used 12 to 16 HP Kohler in my area that has a alternator / starter set up.  I want  MORE POWER anyway.  (Make the manly Tim Allen Tool Time grunt  now) 

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1

rdeanrj58

I did the same thing on a k181 as pfrederi did but I removed the ring gear from the flywheel so I could use the correct blower housing .         I too prefer S/G 

Mudrig150

Gear starters use almost the same block setup and all that, only real difference is that the gear starter flywheel shroud has a bump out for the ring gear and a cover for the starter gear. The mounting is, most of the time, exactly the same, it's just a matter of swapping flywheel, shroud, and starter over from the electric start motor. I do believe the rear bearing plate also needs swapped to get the stator mounts. 

• Like 1