Stewrun

Newb Question on drive wheels

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:...Sidewalls won’t last a season hooked up like that...

:twocents-02cents:

Stewrun
29 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat:...Sidewalls won’t last a season hooked up like that...

:twocents-02cents:

I agree!!!!!

oilwell1415

Like others have said, you can often fix the proverbial one tire fire or one wheel peel just by shifting your weight around.  Back when I raced RC cars we used to pack the differentials with thick grease to tighten them up and make them almost like a limited slip unit.  I haven't been through all of the manuals on the site, but I know at least the early tractors like mine have an enclosed diff, or at least appear to have in the pictures, and you may be able to do the same thing with them.  You can get the grease in weights everywhere from 1,000 to 1,000,000.  Or if you'd prefer something more solid there's always the old fashioned Lincoln Locker, but it's a lot harder on parts.

• Like 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, oilwell1415 said:

Like others have said, you can often fix the proverbial one tire fire or one wheel peel just by shifting your weight around.  Back when I raced RC cars we used to pack the differentials with thick grease to tighten them up and make them almost like a limited slip unit.  I haven't been through all of the manuals on the site, but I know at least the early tractors like mine have an enclosed diff, or at least appear to have in the pictures, and you may be able to do the same thing with them.  You can get the grease in weights everywhere from 1,000 to 1,000,000.  Or if you'd prefer something more solid there's always the old fashioned Lincoln Locker, but it's a lot harder on parts.

yes - recall those days !

could use different viscosity oil in diffs to alter power transfer - including center diff (in 4wd RC - if not equipped with slipper clutch)

BADEBE89-85D8-4C8C-B91D-12212BBAE520.jpeg

0FB62C07-5D22-4572-9E8B-662BBFA9E91C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

oilwell1415
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

yes - recall those days !

could use different viscosity oil in diffs to alter power transfer - including center diff (in 4wd RC - if not equipped with slipper clutch)

BADEBE89-85D8-4C8C-B91D-12212BBAE520.jpeg

0FB62C07-5D22-4572-9E8B-662BBFA9E91C.jpeg

Yep.  You could make your car great or undriveable depending on the diff grease.  My last car was an 1/8 scale nitro late model with the center and front locked and the rear with 50,000 weight in it.  There were guys with a toolbox full of diffs to swap around.  LOL.  If they spend half the money on practice that they spent on useless parts for their cars they’d have been way faster.

Edited by oilwell1415

tom2p
1 hour ago, oilwell1415 said:

Yep.  You could make your car great or undriveable depending on the diff grease.  My last car was an 1/8 scale nitro late model with the center and front locked and the rear with 50,000 weight in it.  There were guys with a toolbox full of diffs to swap around.  LOL.  If they spend half the money on practice that they spent on useless parts for their cars they’d have been way faster.

kid had 1/8 scale also - nitro and elec - but never did compete with them (fortunately lol)

agree about practice - built a track in the back yard 

A111E601-8F57-4166-8BCC-610C9492E905.jpeg

431B4E02-06C0-4F84-8F28-12F8229ABCBB.jpeg

bds1984
13 hours ago, wallfish said:

Wrap a loop of #40 roller chain around the front tires. They need to go on tight with no air pressure, then air them up to lock the chains in place. They will come off if they're not tight.Makes a huge difference with steering.

I have the chain, I just haven't installed them.  My C165 is so light on the front end, which is amplified by the un-loaded 18-8.50R8 tires that I really don't feel it would be worth the trouble.  Future plans are a heavy gauge tube bumper with some weights and to tube the tires and load them just like the rears which I suspect will improve the turning and looks.  I am shooting for 11-1,200 pounds without my 200 in the seat.

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

tube the tires and load them

I have 20 x 8 x 8 fronts that are filled with Rimguard. Adds 5 gallons per tire. Roughly 55 pounds per tire.

Good addition I believe...

MikMacMike
56 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I have the chain, I just haven't installed them.  My C165 is so light on the front end, which is amplified by the un-loaded 18-8.50R8 tires that I really don't feel it would be worth the trouble.  Future plans are a heavy gauge tube bumper with some weights and to tube the tires and load them just like the rears which I suspect will improve the turning and looks.  I am shooting for 11-1,200 pounds without my 200 in the seat.

Excellent idea having tubes when you fill with liquid, my brother inlaw just had to spend 900 dollars on a rim because the solution he had in the rear tires on his restored old tractor for weight, rotted out the rim. And the metal on those rims is a blow me away thick too. I measured up the rear rim cavity on my charger 10 and figured if I melted down the lead Ive been collecting I could mold up about 330 lbs plus or minus. I think my weight has dropped since I replaced the hydro with the 8 speed and figure I was now aprox 630 to 650 lbs, so by adding the lead I could be aprox just under 1000 lbs total weight with out doing the same on the front. I like the idea of weight on the rims instead of stressing the unidrives bearings and casting. Especially the way it mounts to the frame.

Stewrun

Here’s my finished attempt. Next snow we’ll see if I get stuck!  I just put 1/2 inch allthread through the existing hitch hole and then stacked 4 25 lb weights on it. 

BAE05626-C78F-4EC2-A891-EE6D21A3E503.jpeg

• Like 3

8ntruck
On 1/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, oilwell1415 said:

Agree.  A long time ago when I was messing with RC race cars, I learned a lot about the proper line to take around the track by following the local hot shoe during practice.  I knew that the guy also drove a Full size car in the old Firehawk SCCA series. 

My RC car was nearly stock.  Did better  by staying on the track than others who had wicked fast cars, but spent lots of time waiting for the corner marshals to put them back on the track.

squonk
On 1/9/2020 at 8:43 PM, ebinmaine said:

Yeah I've been WELL over 200 for many many long times and my traction isn't very good at all....

Add some tractor chains to that though...

:handgestures-thumbup:

They make ice spikes to strap on your shoes for us nimble guys! :)

• Like 1