Stewrun

Newb Question on drive wheels

Stewrun

Hi All

Just tried my 1989 416-8 plowing some very light snow yesterday and got stuck very quickly at the bottom of my driveway.  Had to rescue it with my quad and a tow strap :)  

I've ordered chains and am fabbing up some additional weights for the wheels.  When I was stuck however, I noticed that only one of the rear wheels was spinning (the right one).  Is that normal or should I expect both of them to have rotated, and I have a drive train issue?  Thanks!

• Like 2

AHenry014

The differential on these tractors is wideeeee open, so only one will spin when you lose traction.  Youll need to learn to move yourself over to the wheel without traction to get her moving again.  Weights and chains will help tremendously. 

• Like 2

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

When ordering chains get the 2 link spacing, Yes they are more expensive but they don't give you that bone jarring bump like 4 link chains do. Weights and chains will make a HUGE difference.

• Like 6

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave:

Weights and chains will help for sure.  A select few had limited slip differentials... but most are open.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I’m one of the few people who doesn’t use chains or weights...I do 3 flat drives plowing typical Michigan snow / slop...

Really works fine for me and I don’t chew up the two older asphalt drives and one newer concrete drive with the chains...

:twocents-02cents:

ebinmaine

:WRS:

I have a c-160 that started out at about 575 lbs. Add weights, plow, me, turns out about 1,350 lb.

I have a rough surface driveway that's very challenging to plow with a large area and I very rarely get anything to do with stuck.

• Like 2

tom2p

not sure who informed me about this - dealer and / or previous owner ... ?

this might not work with all wheel horse tractors - and this might not be big help when plowing snow 

when I lose traction - one wheel will spin

I will stop - and then apply power slowly and power will be transmitted to both wheels and the tractor will then crawl forward 

works very well 

done this a number of times with my 416-H 

been using this technique for years - surprised no one else has mentioned it 

I can't recall doing this with 312-8 - but might also work 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, tom2p said:

not sure who informed me about this - dealer and / or previous owner ... ?

this might not work with all wheel horse tractors - and this might not be big help when plowing snow 

when I lose traction - one wheel will spin

I will stop - and then apply power slowly and power will be transmitted to both wheels and the tractor will then crawl forward 

works very well 

done this a number of times with my 416-H 

been using this technique for years - surprised no one else has mentioned it 

I can't recall doing this with 312-8 - but might also work 

If at first you don’t succeed, back up a bit and hit it again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

tom2p
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

again - surprised no one has mentioned this 

I've been doing this for around 20 years 

often once and sometimes twice each time I cut grass 

approx 30 cuts per year - x 20 years  ... so if I used this technique half the time would be around 300 times 

and it always works - power transferred to both wheels ; can't recall one time when it did not work 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

yep - momentum is your friend ! 

• Like 1

Herder
51 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a c-160 that started out at about 575 lbs. Add weights, plow, me, turns out about 1,350 lb.

The rubber tire squasher  :D

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell

I like my rubber chains.   They work well on snow and paved surfaces and don't leave scuff marks.   Not so good on ice.   Weight = traction.

IMG_6697.JPG.393ae335c4c088b052656c3a55554328.JPG

• Like 2

pfrederi
29 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I like my rubber chains.   They work well on snow and paved surfaces and don't leave scuff marks.   Not so good on ice.   Weight = traction.

IMG_6697.JPG.393ae335c4c088b052656c3a55554328.JPG

I have the rubber chains for a tractor I use only on a short section of driveway that is pavers.  They work but they beat you to death with the pounding,

bds1984
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a rough surface driveway that's very challenging to plow with a large area and I very rarely get anything to do with stuck.

Damn Eric!  That is a lot!  Here I thought I was pushing a lot of weight with my C165 weighing in at close to 1100.  All my weight is in the rear with fluid filled tires and cast iron wheel weights.  Forward and reverse is awesome but turning is something else.  My 520 has loaded tires and the standard Wheel Horse plastic weights in the rear while the fronts have a twenty-five pound weights bolted to the from rims.  That machine has skinny tires that dig and pushes snow much better than one would think by looking at her!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

Damn Eric!  That is a lot!  Here I thought I was pushing a lot of weight with my C165 weighing in at close to 1100.  All my weight is in the rear with fluid filled tires and cast iron wheel weights.  Forward and reverse is awesome but turning is something else.  My 520 has loaded tires and the standard Wheel Horse plastic weights in the rear while the fronts have a twenty-five pound weights bolted to the from rims.  That machine has skinny tires that dig and pushes snow much better than one would think by looking at her!

I have all 4 tires oversized and fluid filled.

255 pounds of fluid alone.

Another 100 steel weight.

Tractor.

Plow.

Me.... Well...... 260..... Isshh...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

adsm08
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Weight = traction.

Not true.

My wife is 250 lbs and can slip and fall on dry pavement.

I just started pushing 200 in the last few years and I can run across a sheet of ice and not fall down.

• Haha 7

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Not true.

My wife is 250 lbs and can slip and fall on dry pavement.

I just started pushing 200 in the last few years and I can run across a sheet of ice and not fall down.

Yeah I've been WELL over 200 for many many long times and my traction isn't very good at all....

Add some tractor chains to that though...

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

wallfish
10 hours ago, bds1984 said:

Forward and reverse is awesome but turning is something else.

Wrap a loop of #40 roller chain around the front tires. They need to go on tight with no air pressure, then air them up to lock the chains in place. They will come off if they're not tight.Makes a huge difference with steering.

• Like 4

953 nut

Some added weight and tire chains will get the job done.

Liquid filled tires will add a lot of weight at a very reasonable price. You can do it yourself with Recreational Vehicle Antifreeze or have it done at a tire shop.

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

peter lena

stewrun , as you can see the responses are all different while dealing with their own issues , recently picked up a very good 2 link chain set from the rop shop , https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Chains-ROP-Shop-Accessories-Parts/s?rh=n%3A15706671%2Cp_89%3AThe+ROP+Shop, nice snug fit and a much heavier chain than the typical junk out there . i also used a silicone spray to help chain binding while fitting on tires, and used extension springs to hold tension fit while i adjusted the chains over the tire rubber. good luck with it , pete

• Like 1

Stewrun
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

stewrun , as you can see the responses are all different while dealing with their own issues , recently picked up a very good 2 link chain set from the rop shop , https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Chains-ROP-Shop-Accessories-Parts/s?rh=n%3A15706671%2Cp_89%3AThe+ROP+Shop, nice snug fit and a much heavier chain than the typical junk out there . i also used a silicone spray to help chain binding while fitting on tires, and used extension springs to hold tension fit while i adjusted the chains over the tire rubber. good luck with it , pete

Here's the ones I got - arriving today:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIL4UZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

peter lena

they ought to do it, like i said ,  size to size fit could be snug, thats were silicone spray and extension spring will help you draw the ends together , like having a third hand , pete

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Good looking chains, but IMO, they are installed up side down.71pjSCEHQpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2