12Horse Paladin

HELP, Front Wheel Removal

12Horse Paladin

Im looking to pull my tires.

Rears are no problem.

Fronts...wth, i have no clue...?

I see no bolts, pins, nada...

*scratches head*

Pics are both sides of one; other is same. Stem is on the inside.

Help!

Lol.

Y'all have a good day, n happy new year to everyone. 

May she be your best yet!😊

20200105_143544.jpg

20200105_143717.jpg

Sparky

Pop off that red WH plastic cap and your find either a 9/16’s bolt head or a pin holding the rim onto the spindle.

• Like 5

Pullstart

I have found 3/8” bolts (my preferred method) or C clips (pain in the butt sometimes) holding the wheels on.  Frank... being a Frankenstein tractor... has one of each!

• Haha 3

12Horse Paladin

To both above...thank you.

But...hmm.

Imma go out in a bit and take a pic of the OTHER wheel, now (has no cap; how i got it)...there is no pin (what i was looking for), or bolt, that i can see...

Stormin

It'll be held on with a circlip/c-clip. You really need a set of circlip pliers to remove/fit. Though you can peel it off with a blade. Just be careful it doesn't fly off.

• Like 1

Pullstart

If it is the c-clip version, you’ll find it hiding under a decent pile of grease on the end of the axle, most likely.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

C clips like to fly once they are "free"... Watch out for flying objects!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Yeah... I like to hold a rag over the clip to play catcher’s mit!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12Horse Paladin

Ok...didnt get out to the garage for that other pic, but will 2morrow.

Guessing it is the c clip/circlip? ...where do you get those pliers? And is that what they are called? 

Because i will just buy a pair 2morrow...starting to get into this whole tool thing, so that's fine😊

If anyone cares to, a pic would be nice.

I find lotsa salesmen that know less than i do...and that always ends badly, when buying this kinda stuff, lol.

Thanks for all the help and info!

12Horse Paladin

Ps...are circlip pliers the same thing as snap ring pliers? If so this good cuz i was gonna get a set for removing hitches lol...

Edited by 12Horse Paladin

The Tuul Crib
4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Pop off that red WH plastic cap and your find either a 9/16’s bolt head or a pin holding the rim onto the spindle.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

tunahead72
24 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

… Guessing it is the c clip/circlip? ...where do you get those pliers? And is that what they are called? 

Because i will just buy a pair 2morrow...starting to get into this whole tool thing, so that's fine😊

I bought ChannelLock 927 snap ring pliers last year, and I'm real happy with them so far.  I hear from more experienced tool guys that they're not the same quality as ChannelLock products of the past, but these were a major step up from what I was using before.  They come with an assortment of straight and right angle tips -- do yourself a favor and buy a spare set, I've already lost some of mine.  The tips are part no. 927T.  I bought mine at a local hardware store, they're also available from numerous online sources.

• Like 2

Stormin

There's several types of circlip pliers. Sounds like you call them snap ring pliers in the States. You can get inner, outer  and hooked.  There's different sizes as well. I've also a set with removeable tips.

Google circlip pliers. You'll find photo's of them on there. :handgestures-thumbup:

Edited by Stormin

AMC RULES

Just saw 'em at Tractor supply too. 

Pullstart

Yep, I’m with the other guys.  Normally one tool has different screw holes to change them from outer clip to inner clip pliers or from straight on to bent at 45 and / or 90 degrees.  I found a good set at ACE a few years back.  

12Horse Paladin

GoodMorning.

And Thanks everyone for all the info! Ive done a little research and probably will be getting the channellock version this morn (best reviews for the price) but if i get to my HF, will look at those...

Then just figure out what i'm doing and pray o get it right😉

Y'all have a great day!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

When you get the retaining ring off take a good look at it. They are stamped when made so one side has rounded edges and the other has sharp edges. In this application you want to install it so the sharp edges face out so it fits the groove better. 

If installed with the rounded side out side pressure on the wheel can force it off the axle.

The groove in the axle deserves a good cleaning also.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72

A couple of additional tips...

Wear safety goggles when you remove the retaining rings.

And, when you get done with this project, make sure you install plastic/rubber hub caps on both wheels.  There's several options available, it just depends on how much you want to spend.  Glen Pettit, and Wheel Horse Parts & More, both vendors on this forum, carry a good variety of high quality parts, and they're both very good people to work with.  I'm also personally a fan of the upper spindle caps that Glen carries, I think they do a lot to keep dirt and moisture out of the steering system.

• Like 1

ronhatch

Please look at what you have BEFORE running out and buying a tool that you may not need.  If you have 'E' clips,  a small flat blade screw driver works just fine.  If you have a snap rings then yes,  you will need a snap ring pliers, but I'm thinking it's either a 3/8" bolt (9/16" wrench) or a 'E' clip that is holding your front wheels on. 

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Ron is right an E clip just needs screw driver to remove.

BUT  A poor excuse to buy a new tool is better than no excuse at all :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ronhatch
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

BUT  A poor excuse to buy a new tool is better than no excuse at all :P

I would add to that; 'If you're going to use it'  :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edited by ronhatch
  • Heart 1

12Horse Paladin
4 hours ago, ronhatch said:

Please look at what you have BEFORE running out and buying a tool that you may not need.  If you have 'E' clips,  a small flat blade screw driver works just fine.  If you have a snap rings then yes,  you will need a snap ring pliers, but I'm thinking it's either a 3/8" bolt (9/16" wrench) or a 'E' clip that is holding your front wheels on. 

Even if i didnt need the pliers...n lol, no, i didnt...i know i can use them for other things, like removing hitches, etc.

So no loss, to me😊

12Horse Paladin
21 hours ago, pullstart said:

Yeah... I like to hold a rag over the clip to play catcher’s mit!

That worked!😊

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin
On 1/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, pullstart said:

I have found 3/8” bolts (my preferred method) or C clips (pain in the butt sometimes) holding the wheels on.  Frank... being a Frankenstein tractor... has one of each!

Guess what?

I have your twin😉

So was/is, mine, when all was said n done!🤔

😁🤣

• Haha 1