Solze1267

RJ-58 Rebuild

The Tuul Crib

Looks like a good start!! Im in

:popcorn:

• Like 1

dclarke

I'm in too.  Good luck with your rebuild! 

• Like 1

rjg854

I'll be following along too ;)

• Like 1

CCW

Isn't it easy to tear down. Reassembly is the real puzzle.

• Like 2

WHX??
6 hours ago, Solze1267 said:

gonna take longer than expected 

They always do! :lol:

Looks like nice patina....full paint or just mechanical?

Along for the ride :popcorn:

• Like 1

Solze1267

@WHX24 this one is going full restoration. Originally we were going to just do a mechanical overhaul but we decided against that. My wife laid claim to this tractor because of the patina but even she made mention that it was pretty rough.......so with a promise to find her another RJ that was in a little better shape to leave patina for her she agreed to go all out on this one. Plus I’m not going to say no to another wheelhorse!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

oliver2-44

I'm in:popcorn:

• Like 1

WHX??
8 hours ago, Solze1267 said:

My wife laid claim to this tractor 

Don't I hear ya there … just ripped apart a perfectly good 702 for repaint. When I bought the tractor I told her it was hers as an ask for forgiveness and she was born in '62. Now she holding me to it that it is her tractor! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Solze1267

@WHX24 I'm just thankful that she is into them also...she's been searching for parts for it and actually....she mentioned the big show this year before I did!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
On 1/2/2020 at 1:28 PM, WHX24 said:

Don't I hear ya there … just ripped apart a perfectly good 702 for repaint. When I bought the tractor I told her it was hers as an ask for forgiveness and she was born in '62. Now she holding me to it that it is her tractor! 

You sound really butt hurt that your wife is into the hobby.  That’s odd...  :lol:

• Haha 3

WHX??

Not really Kev ... just her demanded repaint on a once restoed tractor that was fine the way it is taking away from time, and shop room,  needed to love other tractors. Said to her... "can't this wait for a year or ten when I retire and got more time" ? ... got the look so out came the impact!! :lol:

• Haha 2

Shynon
42 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

can't this wait for a year or ten

Hasn't year or ten already passed:ROTF:

• Haha 1

Solze1267

Well had a few minutes to work on the RJ again today. Got the steering wheel off the shaft, the gas tank out, and found out what we thought to be welds over the cracks in the hood was really lead. Got it all melted out (outside in fresh air) and cleaned up so I can have my welder from work tig the cracks shut for me. Slow progress is still progress

IMG_20200111_170108389.jpg

IMG_20200111_162745747.jpg

IMG_20200111_164342804.jpg

IMG_20200111_164956896.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Solze1267

Just got back from visiting with @kitkit for a nice set of front wheels for the RJ! More forward progress!

IMG_20200112_142841898.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Solze1267

Finally had time to get to the shop! After dealing with kidney stones and the flu I'm ready to work on the RJ again! Got the extra holes and cracks welded up on the hood and met up with @WheelhorseWes to get a solid frame for it. Come on better weather so I can get it blasted!

IMG_20200311_165657263.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart

From a distance, I can’t tell what was wrong with the other frame... but looks nice!  Glad you’re feeling better!  I’ve heard ‘stones are no fun at all.

bottjernat1

Here is mine restored.The only before picture i have unfortunately and after. I got her in like 1996 and got it finished in 2015. Took me a little bit to finish it. LOL

FB_IMG_1545611432936.jpg

FB_IMG_1545609481841.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

Here is mine restored.The only before picture i have unfortunately and after. I got her in like 1996 and got it finished in 2015. Took me a little bit to finish it. LOL

FB_IMG_1545611432936.jpg

FB_IMG_1545609481841.jpg

Even the before picture looks nice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Solze1267

@pullstart the frame where the hood bolts on top was butchered up from someone putting a larger Tecumseh engine in it...and the price was right to replace instead of repair. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

bottjernat1
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Even the before picture looks nice!

LOL. I do have photos of the rear end torn apart. because almost all the bearings were locked up and seals were shot. My adopted mom has a photo of it with a 2 piece cast rear end and it was all jacked up wrong. But unfortunately since my late dad died i haven't spoken to my adopted mom and 2 sisters.

Solze1267

Well it's been WAY too long but finally have some progress on the RJ. Was able to get the blast cabinet at work operating as it should and cleaned up the fenders, pan, and belt cover. Wiped them down and put a healthy coat of epoxy primer on them..tomorrow I will scuff and shoot with primer surfacer to get them nice and smooth.Snapchat-1335427642.jpg.f7b8e2c9e2dda55b4e8fcb6353fffa7d.jpg