8ntruck

Kohler Thrust Bearing

8ntruck

I keep seeing references to the Kohler engines used in Wheel Horses having a thrust bearing to support the use of the PTO clutch.

Anybody have a photo of said thrust bearing?  I've never had my K321 apart far enough to see it. 

And, no it ain't broke, so I'm not going to tear it apart just to see what the bearing looks like and where it lives.

pfrederi

All K321 had two ball bearings supporting the crankshaft.  No need for a thrust bearing.  KT series did not have ball bearings on the crank.WH spec'd a radial needle thrust bearing on the PTO end of the crank.

daveoman1966

This is a schematic of 1977 C-120 (K301 engine) and a THRUST BEARING is shown as item # 41.  It is part # 9862 and I have two of them NEW.  Item # 44 is a spring # 104841. # 40 (2) are washers and # 43 is a 7/16 Stud # 104842.  I have ONLY the THRUST BEARINGs.

NEW.  Large

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

The bearings Dave mentions were used as a part of the PTO itself and only for a couple years.  Then they redesigned the PTO slightly to eliminate the need for them.  I thought the original post meant the need for a thrust bearing inside the engine.  All the manual PTOs used by WH since Charger Raider series needed something inside the engine to handle the end loading.  The K series singles had ball bearing supported crankshafts and they handled the end loading.  Kohler twins needed radial needle bearing that WH spec'd when they bought the engines.  Some WH models that used Briggs engines also needed help.  WH designed a plate that fit over the crankshaft end and a ball bearing between the PTO and the plate to handle the end loading.

8ntruck

Thanks for the information.

To make sure I've got it, Kohler single cylinder K series engines with ball bearings on the crank don't need a thrust bearing.  Koehler two cylinder engines need thrust bearings when used with a PTO.

pfrederi
12 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Thanks for the information.

To make sure I've got it, Kohler single cylinder K series engines with ball bearings on the crank don't need a thrust bearing.  Koehler two cylinder engines need thrust bearings when used with a PTO.

Yes.  If the twin Kohler was ordered by WH  (spec'd)  then it will have the thrust bearing in it.  however if the engine was swapped in from another brand of tractor (like the JD one I have in one of my C175s) then it most likely will not have the thrust bearing and is why i have to use an electric PTO on that unit.

123GO

OP thanks for asking this one, I see these bearings listed on Ebay a lot for WH and it makes me wonder everytime I see one. As always I appreciate what I learned from all you folks on here.

Fwiw: I saw a post yrs ago showing these thrust bearings added to front axle/spindles to steer easier.   

I was going to try it on my Horses being I suffered a broken neck at 21, now with age it haunts me pretty good at times. 

But after installing narrow 4.00x8 Tri-rib tires with raised center rib that alone is like having power steering on one so I didn't add the bearings. These would help with steering a lot I bet.