pfrederi

GT-14 Electrical Question (2)

pfrederi

Put the Ugly Charger aside until painting weather.  Started on the GT-14, my first. First question ...do you have to disassemble the dash tower to get to the ammeter (reminds me of getting to the hydro pump on the D200).  Second.. voltage regulator.  This unit has one of the small flat ones mounted on the dash tower.  I am sure it isn't original.  I would guess it originally used one of the large finned units like other WHs of the time but where did it mount?

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

WildmanC120

I've always seen them with the larger finned voltage regulators.  They are typically mounted where yours is but on the outside of the tractor above the brake pedal. 

I can't help with the dash tower. 

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

voltage regulator.  This unit has one of the small flat ones mounted on the dash tower.

Paul, the smaller VR units were made to mount in the engine tins and obtain cooling from the flywheel. That will work OK so long as the load isn't too high for very long. The Amp meter on mine was mounted with three screws and came out with plenty of slack on the wires.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Paul, the smaller VR units were made to mount in the engine tins and obtain cooling from the flywheel. That will work OK so long as the load isn't too high for very long. The Amp meter on mine was mounted with three screws and came out with plenty of slack on the wires.

Mine looks like a normal gauge with the bracket across the back.  Looks like you have to remove the two nuts holding the wires then the bracket.  no way my fat hands will fit in there to do that ....hope it continues to work...

I have a similar new style voltage regulator setup on my D200 so far it has worked OK so i guess i won't worry about it.

• Like 2