upstate yank

1971 wheel horse charger 12 automatic

upstate yank

first of all i want to wish every one a very merry Christmas and a happy year year

the question is on a 1971 model 1-0400 charger automatic on the right side on the lower tower there is this item and for the longest time i have wondered what it is and the purpose of it ;

if most will recall i have had issues with not getting spark and yes it has the breaker-less ignition 'i did have both of the coils check out by a dealer that only does generators;starters and alternators ;i have dealt with him in the past and he is a square shooter;but anyways both coils using a ohmmeter checked out at the settings listed in the Manuel at the 11.500 ohms 'the trigger i have not checked yet as far as figuring howto make that flash light ;but with the wire that comes off the I  post and starting the motor using a test light that post plus the A post lights up as well ;though i am not sure if this is correct ;but again would anyone know what this item is ;i will say that this sure is a hair puller and that at my age i don't have much left; 

i will add that going though the paper work and receipts that were given to me the day i bought this tractor one receipt shows the previous owner did buy a new coil and spark plug back in 07 total was around 145.00 'so it seems this coil is still good even after it was tested last week; but still i wonder why no spark ;i was told to remove the fly wheel and check the stator if spelled correctly as it has been sitting in the elements for a few years or more ;plus the fact of this item might have something to do with it ;so any thoughts or knowledge would be appreciated ;again  Merry Christmas to all 

thumbnail_20191223_150742.jpg

thumbnail_20191223_150651.jpg

Stepney

That's an old twist-lock electrical outlet... Why it's there? Your guess is good as mine.. maybe someone had it rigged as a 12v power point, or a quick connect battery tender sort of rig? 

As to the ignition, I'm afraid I'm not of much help. 

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
6 minutes ago, Stepney said:

That's an old twist-lock electrical outlet... Why it's there? Your guess is good as mine.. maybe someone had it rigged as a 12v power point, or a quick connect battery tender sort of rig? 

Key word OLD twist lock. Most newer

twist locks are three prong. Very 

interesting for sure but not standard equipment

• Thanks 1

Stepney
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Key word OLD twist lock.

My exact thoughts.. my 1951 Sears generator has those exact sockets. Had a hard time trying to find a new cord.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZXT

Definitely interesting that it has an old twist-lock receptacle on it! Don't see those much anymore and certainly not on garden tractors. My little 1945 U.S. military generator had one but the P.O. swapped it out for a standard receptacle. Kept the original with the generator though which is pretty cool.

Have you inspected the wiring on the tractor to make sure there aren't any breaks in it? Checked the ignition switch? Seems odd that any of the components on the breakerless system would be intermittent. Coils are either good or they aren't, and I would think the pickup would behave the same as well. 

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca
12 hours ago, Stepney said:

Must be because one terminal is grounded to the chassis. Wonder how they got the polarity correct when plugging in. Don't think the 2-wire ones are polarized.

Garry

• Thanks 1

lynnmor
21 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Must be because one terminal is grounded to the chassis. Wonder how they got the polarity correct when plugging in. Don't think the 2-wire ones are polarized.

Garry

The bottom slot is longer and the plug would have a longer blade and would only go in one way.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

You have to remove the trigger to test it.  pic is the tester setup I have used.  You could get away with one battery if it will light up the bulb you have available.

IMG_0015.JPG.511fc119408582e63676f18be06df20c.JPG

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
15 hours ago, Stepney said:

thanks and i wondered that myself;it seems it isn't hurting anything so i might as well leave it there ;have a great holiday 

upstate yank
15 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Key word OLD twist lock. Most newer

twist locks are three prong. Very 

interesting for sure but not standard equipment

thanks as i knew this item didn't belong on the tractor and wondered why someone would use it and for what reason'

upstate yank
15 hours ago, Stepney said:

My exact thoughts.. my 1951 Sears generator has those exact sockets. Had a hard time trying to find a new cord.. 

thanks for the reply and yep it is quite odd why someone would use this ;so now i know ;heck it really isn't hurting any thing so i might as well leave it there ;

upstate yank
10 hours ago, ZXT said:

Definitely interesting that it has an old twist-lock receptacle on it! Don't see those much anymore and certainly not on garden tractors. My little 1945 U.S. military generator had one but the P.O. swapped it out for a standard receptacle. Kept the original with the generator though which is pretty cool.

Have you inspected the wiring on the tractor to make sure there aren't any breaks in it? Checked the ignition switch? Seems odd that any of the components on the breakerless system would be intermittent. Coils are either good or they aren't, and I would think the pickup would behave the same as well. 

yep it is quite interesting as to why someone would attach this ;heck it isn't hurting anything so i might as well leave it there ;

the wiring has all be replaced and i have not found a bad wire but again i will check the system ;yep the coils are good and i am sure the trigger is as well 'according to the wiring diagram every wire is on place and again has been replaced ;after checking everything afterwards the lights work;the electric clutch as well as the cigarette lighter ;it has to be some thing really minor ;if the weather stays nice i can check everything again ;this is the first and last horse i will own with this type of system ;again thank you for the reply

• Like 1

upstate yank
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

thanks for the reply ;i have wondered from the first day what it is and for what reason ;heck it isn;t effecting any thing so i might just as well leave it there ;thanks again

upstate yank
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The bottom slot is longer and the plug would have a longer blade and would only go in one way.

thanks ;really i am not to worried about it ;i was just wondering what it was and for what reason; as the years of owning these fine old tractors i have never seen one like this ;it isn't hurting any thing so i will just leave it there ;thanks again

upstate yank
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

You have to remove the trigger to test it.  pic is the tester setup I have used.  You could get away with one battery if it will light up the bulb you have available.

thanks and it seems i will have to find a flashlight like this one and test it ;it is just that i have never in the years of owning these fine old tractors that this is the first one with these type of set up and for sure i will never have another one ;i will let you know how things go;again thanks 

formariz
19 hours ago, upstate yank said:

first of all i want to wish every one a very merry Christmas and a happy year year

the question is on a 1971 model 1-0400 charger automatic on the right side on the lower tower there is this item and for the longest time i have wondered what it is and the purpose of it ;

if most will recall i have had issues with not getting spark and yes it has the breaker-less ignition 'i did have both of the coils check out by a dealer that only does generators;starters and alternators ;i have dealt with him in the past and he is a square shooter;but anyways both coils using a ohmmeter checked out at the settings listed in the Manuel at the 11.500 ohms 'the trigger i have not checked yet as far as figuring howto make that flash light ;but with the wire that comes off the I  post and starting the motor using a test light that post plus the A post lights up as well ;though i am not sure if this is correct ;but again would anyone know what this item is ;i will say that this sure is a hair puller and that at my age i don't have much left; 

i will add that going though the paper work and receipts that were given to me the day i bought this tractor one receipt shows the previous owner did buy a new coil and spark plug back in 07 total was around 145.00 'so it seems this coil is still good even after it was tested last week; but still i wonder why no spark ;i was told to remove the fly wheel and check the stator if spelled correctly as it has been sitting in the elements for a few years or more ;plus the fact of this item might have something to do with it ;so any thoughts or knowledge would be appreciated ;again  Merry Christmas to all 

thumbnail_20191223_150651.jpg

I Do something similar with the modern 3 prong version. Mine however is not incorporated into tractors body, Its just a "pigtail" dangling by battery but securely attached as not to be pulled away. I use it as a power source to quickly and securely attach implements such as a pull behind sprayer and spread fertilizer. Its convenient and secure for that purpose without having to do electrical work every time you want to use such an attachment.When not in use it is also safe and it has power to it all the time . It is also fused. It is also used to connect winch which is mounted on utility trailer.

• Like 1

upstate yank
3 hours ago, formariz said:

I Do something similar with the modern 3 prong version. Mine however is not incorporated into tractors body, Its just a "pigtail" dangling by battery but securely attached as not to be pulled away. I use it as a power source to quickly and securely attach implements such as a pull behind sprayer and spread fertilizer. Its convenient and secure for that purpose without having to do electrical work every time you want to use such an attachment.When not in use it is also safe and it has power to it all the time . It is also fused. It is also used to connect winch which is mounted on utility trailer.

thanks for the reply as i have asked the  other members what this item is and what does it do ;i was told it was odd that someone put this on a wheel horse ;and it has something to do with charging the battery;i was just curious as i have never seen one of this before so now i know ;it isn't hurting any thing so i am not going to remove it ;again thanks 

upstate yank
On 12/24/2019 at 8:37 AM, pfrederi said:

i'm sorry but this is all new to me as this is the first tractor i have owned though the years of collecting and really i do not have a clue about them ;but again i will say i had the coils checked out and they are good ;the trigger well it seems that the shop i had the coil tested didn't understand how to test them ;

i am not sure if this was the correct way to check for spark  but i removed the black wire that goes to the key switch ;  and only used the A wire that goes to the back side of the fly wheel to the alternator  as i was told by another member to try ;still no spark ;then again for the heck of it i used a test light to the wire that goes off the A then started the motor during that time the test light did light up and it flashed ; again i am not sure if this was the right thing to do as trial by error 'my thoughts are a wire that might be connected wrong or a ground wire is missing  but according to the wiring diagram all wires are correct and the accessories  do work such as the lights;lighter and the clutch switch 'again i would like to ask as again though the years i have never had one of these types even growing up on one ;funny story growing up i with 3 older brothers that were always gone when it was time to mow the yard and boy it was a big yard with a push mower but anyways my dad bought a wheel horse so i didn't have to use a  push any more well he came home form work one night and caught one of my oldest brothers drag racing the kid next door so off the horse went back to the dealer and again i had to use the push mower ; ;but back to the subject  in your picture of the flash light what are those 2 yellow items on the end as i sure would like to really find out if the trigger is bad ;boy this sure is a hair puller and at the age of 69 i don;t have much of that left ;again thank you and i look forward to your reply when you can;

i wish you and yours a very happy holiday and just maybe a new year ;

Edited by upstate yank

ZXT

I'm also curious about the trigger testing. Do you have to wave a flywheel infront of it to trigger it, or? I'd like to have a tractor with the setup some day just because. Not sure if my GT-14 still has its trigger under the flywheel shroud but I'll have a look. 

By the way, you can do a multi quote by clicking the "+" next to the quote button and quote multiple at a time. Would be easier than making multiple posts to everyone explaining basically the same thing :)

I hate to hear what happened to your brother and your daughter. I'm sure that they would want you to enjoy the holidays with the rest of the family you do have left! Merry Christmas.

pfrederi
On 12/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, upstate yank said:

i'm sorry but this is all new to me as this is the first tractor i have owned though the years of collecting and really i do not have a clue about them ;but again i will say i had the coils checked out and they are good ;the trigger well it seems that the shop i had the coil tested didn't understand how to test them ;

i am not sure if this was the correct way to check for spark  but i removed the black wire that goes to the key switch ;  and only used the A wire that goes to the back side of the fly wheel to the alternator  as i was told by another member to try ;still no spark ;then again for the heck of it i used a test light to the wire that goes off the A then started the motor during that time the test light did light up and it flashed ; again i am not sure if this was the right thing to do as trial by error 'my thoughts are a wire that might be connected wrong or a ground wire is missing  but according to the wiring diagram all wires are correct and the accessories  do work such as the lights;lighter and the clutch switch 'again i would like to ask as again though the years i have never had one of these types even growing up on one ;funny story growing up i with 3 older brothers that were always gone when it was time to mow the yard and boy it was a big yard with a push mower but anyways my dad bought a wheel horse so i didn't have to use a  push any more well he came home form work one night and caught one of my oldest brothers drag racing the kid next door so off the horse went back to the dealer and again i had to use the push mower ; ;but back to the subject  in your picture of the flash light what are those 2 yellow items on the end as i sure would like to really find out if the trigger is bad ;boy this sure is a hair puller and at the age of 69 i don;t have much of that left ;again thank you and i look forward to your reply when you can;

i wish you and yours a very happy holiday and just maybe a new year ;

Not sure what you mean about the two yellow items.  The handy clamp is just to hold the wires to the batteries.  You have to remove the trigger to test it. Not sure what your testing did but be careful you can fry the trigger.  Stick with the manual and its test.

trigger.JPG

upstate yank
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Not sure what you mean about the two yellow items.  The handy clamp is just to hold the wires to the batteries.  You have to remove the trigger to test it. Not sure what your testing did but be careful you can fry the trigger.  Stick with the manual and its test.

trigger.JPG

thanks for the reply; sorry to be a pest here; again this all new to mean ;what i should of said was those to yellow items that are held in place by the clamp as i have a few of those here ;yep i have read the Manuel even the one that came with the tractor but again i am not really sure how to make one of those testers ;

upstate yank
On 12/25/2019 at 9:11 AM, ZXT said:

I'm also curious about the trigger testing. Do you have to wave a flywheel infront of it to trigger it, or? I'd like to have a tractor with the setup some day just because. Not sure if my GT-14 still has its trigger under the flywheel shroud but I'll have a look. 

By the way, you can do a multi quote by clicking the "+" next to the quote button and quote multiple at a time. Would be easier than making multiple posts to everyone explaining basically the same thing :)

I hate to hear what happened to your brother and your daughter. I'm sure that they would want you to enjoy the holidays with the rest of the family you do have left! Merry Christmas.

sorry for the late reply but yesterday was a busy one; but any ways as far as the fly wheel ;once everything is hooked up wires that is; it just a matter of turning the key and let the motor spin ;there is no waving of anything ;plus set the gap on the fly wheel as on the fly wheel there is a small stub that sits below the trigger and again make sure it has been gaped ;

heck if you would like to have a tractor with this type of set up ;take the ride here to springfield mo and i would give you a good deal on it ;again i will never own one of these types again as they are a pain ;

thanks for the advice on the clicking so i don't have to post the same issues over and over; i didn't know that could be done ;anyways thanks again 

• Like 1

pfrederi

To make the tester just look at the picture i posted.  battery, flashlight bulb some jumper wires and you have a tester.  The yellow things are part of a handi clamp. Not necessary any clamp will do.

Edited by pfrederi

upstate yank
7 hours ago, pfrederi said:

To make the tester just look at the picture i posted.  battery, flashlight bulb some jumper wires and you have a tester.  The yellow things are part of a handi clamp. Not necessary any clamp will do.

thanks so much for the reply and now i know how to make one as i was thrown off a little as to the yellow items in the picture ;i do have a few of those handy clamps and for sure a flash light bulb and many jumper wires ;so now i can test the trigger and i sure hope it works ;again this is such a hair puller ;again i am sorry to be such a pest ;but after months of rewiring and checking every thing i sure would like to hear it run;what a winter here nothing like back home as the days have been in the 60 and i sure don't miss plowing snow which i made good money at plus shoveling it ;i for sure will let you know ;again thanks so much

upstate yank
7 hours ago, upstate yank said:

sorry for the late reply but yesterday was a busy one; but any ways as far as the fly wheel ;once everything is hooked up wires that is; it just a matter of turning the key and let the motor spin ;there is no waving of anything ;plus set the gap on the fly wheel as on the fly wheel there is a small stub that sits below the trigger and again make sure it has been gaped ;

heck if you would like to have a tractor with this type of set up ;take the ride here to springfield mo and i would give you a good deal on it ;again i will never own one of these types again as they are a pain ;

thanks for the advice on the clicking so i don't have to post the same issues over and over; i didn't know that could be done ;anyways thanks again 

yes i miss my brother as we were very close ;funny thing as when we were kids heck maybe 12 years old if that we went out in the woods near a bunch of pine trees and he had matches with us ;so he lite one and got scared and dropped it well the pine needles caught fire and really spread ;i found an old better butter jar and ran back to the house but before i got back heck most of the water was gone from running so fast; the odd thing was there was a creek right there and never thought ;well the neighbor saw the fire and smoke and called the fire department, they had a real hard time getting in the woods but in time they put the fire out ;but no more matches from us ;our folks never punished us which was odd ;i will always miss him;

my daughter used to be my side kick when i was trucking and that lasted close to 40 years as she always went with me when she could and she saw places and country she thought she would never see ;the Rockies mountains;the smokier mountains;we always had a great time but after she was killed my a so called friend that decided to run a stop sign well you know what happened ;i didn't know at the time that he had no insurance  plus 3 tickets for DWI  or even a drivers license ;the judge well he pissed me off as he told me that this kid would get 22 years and no parole;well the kid server 17 years than out the door so what is wrong with this justice system as they can't keep there word; when my girls 2 i have and they started to date i always told the guys that i play base ball as after 3 strikes your out no 4th inning and if you ever hurt my girls well you will suffer the after i will in stow on you but before i could do that he went off to prison ; 

yes i drove maybe for less than a year after this and  then one night stopping at a truck stop for a coffee than walking back out to the rig ;i told my self i can't finish the run to Utah but then if i didn't compete the run i wouldn't get back home so after i returned i park the rig and that was that ;the love each dad has for there daughters are some thing special as they are the apple of dads eye ;

this is why i really hate this time a year as this holiday means nothing to me or even my wife ;'at times i hate myself  as i was in Alabama when this happened and i wasn't there to there to protect her ;sorry guys but at times we need to rant ;a child is suppose to bury there parents not the parents bury there kids ;