T-Mo

Oops, another one

T-Mo

I have been trying to thin out my tractors, and going "bigger".  I have a couple of Farmall Cubs and a Farmall B, so I have sold a few garden tractors recently to make more room in the shed for those 3.  But, I ran across a 2006 John Deere X720 when I was looking at a 2004 Cub Cadet 5252E.  Both were at the same price, but the Cub Cadet had too many bad reviews on that model, i.e. bad transmissions, faulty wiring, ptos going out, etc.  This one had only 227 hours, but I was a bit leery of that number.  So, I was going to stick to my plan - no more garden tractors.  Until the dealer salesman, whose dealership is merging with another one and needed to reduce inventory, knock off $700 off the John Deere since he knew me and knew I was sort of interested.  Wife said you will regret it if you don't get it, so I now have a X720 SE sitting in my shed next to the Farmalls.  I haven't decided yet if it will get the limited category 1 3 point hitch or not.

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

• Like 9

Sparky

Nice rig!

What do you have that handles mowing chores now? That 720 would handle that task nicely

T-Mo

Mike, I have my old trusty 2006 JD X320, and a 2002 JD 717 commercial zero turn.  My wife loves the X320 and calls it her tractor.  I'm thinking she will like using this X720 just as well, though she may think it's a bit big.

ZXT

Is that a vertical or horizontal shaft tractor? I've not paid much attention to the newer JD's.

Do you not have any WH's to mow with?

T-Mo

It's a horizontal shaft tractor with a drive shaft to the transmission and a shaft driven deck.  Liquid cooled, fuel injected Kawaskaki 27 hp engine, dual hydraulics, power steering, differential lock, very heavy duty transmission.  Deere offered a lot of implements for this series, including a loader.  It doesn't get any better in a garden tractor than a John Deere X700 series.

And I hate to say it here, but my Deeres can out mow my older Wheel Horses, even the 520H I had a while back.  Makes me wonder what improvements in mowing efficiency Wheel Horse would have if still made today.

• Like 1

JCM

I also have interest in Farmall's and certain JD models. It is amazing how big a 720 ultimate tractor is when you first see one and sit on it. A  good friend of mine bought one and had maybe 70 hours on it and unfortunately passed and his widow sold it back to the dealer, It was rear wheel drive with really large aggressive rear tires on it and was used to mow a small yard and plow the driveway, someone ended up with a super nice low hour tractor. This 720 was many of the JD's that he owned over a span of 40 plus years, always maintained and garaged. If you parked my 520-H next to the 720 it made it look like an RJ. That is a very impressive GT, good luck with it.

• Like 1

ZXT
31 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

It's a horizontal shaft tractor with a drive shaft to the transmission and a shaft driven deck.  Liquid cooled, fuel injected Kawaskaki 27 hp engine, dual hydraulics, power steering, differential lock, very heavy duty transmission.  Deere offered a lot of implements for this series, including a loader.  It doesn't get any better in a garden tractor than a John Deere X700 series.

And I hate to say it here, but my Deeres can out mow my older Wheel Horses, even the 520H I had a while back.  Makes me wonder what improvements in mowing efficiency Wheel Horse would have if still made today.

Wow! That's quite a machine. Never knew they were that highly optioned. I didn't know they were making EFI garden tractors in 07. 

T-Mo

Deere has been making fuel injected garden tractors since the early 90s.  The 445, which came out in 1993, was fuel injected.  I had a 1995 or 1996 (I forget which year) 445 - it was also quite the machine.

82Caddy

You’re going to love that machine. I picked up an X595 (3 cylinder yanmar diesel, 4x4 and hard cab with heat) and it’s a monster with a 54” blower on the front in snow a few years back. Spent close to 5 hours on it last week and it didn’t miss a beat. Plus I wasn’t cold or beat up when it was all done.

The cruise control is nice when you’re mowing big open areas to just set your speed and go. Is that a 62c deck?  

7F2719EC-00D2-4C1C-94ED-8053AAD709D9.jpeg

Edited by 82Caddy
  • Like 2

diesel cowboy

That's a nice looking machine.  As much as it pains me to say it cause my family sold Cub Cadets for almost 50 years, you made the right choice going with the X720.  Those 5000 series Cadets fall into the category of never should have been made.  Specs put them about the same but this one looks like it's more comfortable for the operator with no levers digging into your sides. 

T-Mo

Yes, the deck is a 62C.

The Cub Cadet intrigued me, but I had a hard time believing it had only 227 hours.  It came from of state (it had a Virginia dealer decal on it), and after reading the reviews, about all were negative, I thought it best to leave it there.  I did like the fact it had a two speed transmission and limited category 1 hitch, but I can add one to the X720 if I decide I need/want one.

sergeant
On 12/14/2019 at 7:15 AM, T-Mo said:

I have been trying to thin out my tractors, and going "bigger".  I have a couple of Farmall Cubs and a Farmall B, so I have sold a few garden tractors recently to make more room in the shed for those 3.  But, I ran across a 2006 John Deere X720 when I was looking at a 2004 Cub Cadet 5252E.  Both were at the same price, but the Cub Cadet had too many bad reviews on that model, i.e. bad transmissions, faulty wiring, ptos going out, etc.  This one had only 227 hours, but I was a bit leery of that number.  So, I was going to stick to my plan - no more garden tractors.  Until the dealer salesman, whose dealership is merging with another one and needed to reduce inventory, knock off $700 off the John Deere since he knew me and knew I was sort of interested.  Wife said you will regret it if you don't get it, so I now have a X720 SE sitting in my shed next to the Farmalls.  I haven't decided yet if it will get the limited category 1 3 point hitch or not.

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

Listen to what the wife said and apply that to the Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch Terry I ran the Older Version of the X720(X485) for 11 years Before Upgrading to a Used X748 That 3 Point was Very Handy I even Had the rear PTO which I barely ever used On the X485 Because I had the 42inch Hydraulic Tiller . I had a PTO Put On the X748 I use it a lot More I have the JD 2025R(Generation II) But I still use the X748 more Because the 45 Loader really helps You get Into tight areas where the 120R Loader On My 2025R just won't fit  My new Purchase is a 1992 Toro/WH 416-H  That why I figured I Might as well finally get active with this forum considering I Joined it over 10 years ago. Have to go pick Up the 416-H this coming Thursday about 2.5 hrs away Get to see if My Mad Ramps https://madramps.com/ are Good for Picking up Garden tractors

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by sergeant
  • Like 1